pre- heat indicator 1HZ 80 series l/Cruiser

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 13:34
ThreadID: 105018 Views:1678 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
In the past when the engine pre-heat indicator would turn prior to starting the motor there would be an audible click or switch noise from under the bonnet. This noise has now disappeared, the car still starts O.K.but I have noticed on a couple of occasions that if I turn the ignition on and not crank the motor for a couple of minutes there is a fuel over load and the car puffs out black smoke.
Perhaps someone with a lot more knowledge than me could offer some comment. Thank you to those who may reply.john y
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 14:03

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2013 at 14:03
The fuel overload won't be happening but when it is cranking it will inject some diesel which may not ignite until the engine does fire ad then it all burns as black smoke until it warms up in the cylinder.
The problem seems to be the Glow plug system isn't turning on the glow plugs and pre heating ready for ignition.
Maybe the lack of "click" is the power to the relay is not connected well, or, the temp sensor on the engine has it's wire dropped off or dirty contact. If that is happening then a check to see if the wire IS connected and has a clean connection.

I had a HJ61-12HT temp sensor wire work it's way out of the plug and wouldn't touch the sensor connector pin. Hence no pre heat.

Worth a check. There are other things which can cause it but this is easy to check and hopefully the fault can be found.

Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 520944

Follow Up By: Member - john y - Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:20

Thursday, Nov 07, 2013 at 10:20
Thanks Ross M I will attempt to follow up on your suggestions Regards john y
FollowupID: 801627

Sponsored Links