Driving from Perth to Sydney with a dog

Hi guys
I'm re locating to Sydney and driving over with my dog and a friend around NYE this year. I was wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to find places along the way where we can stay with the dog? I guess we can camp if camping grounds may be the easier way to go, neither of us however have done much camping!! I'm new to all this so do caravan/camp grounds usually allow dogs? Ideally we'd like to stay in road houses, B&B's or motel, but said dog might have to hide in bag?!!
We can take about 10 days so I'm also trying to find a nice route to take so any suggestions would be most welcome. I think we'll like to head straight out east to Kalgoorlie to start with.
Thanks all

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cruiser 3 - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 17:09

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 17:09
Hi Jess
We have done that trip a couple of times with our dog and have never had a problem.
However we have our own caravan and sometimes stay in van parks and other times just stop at rest areas.
I have found it fairly easy to find a caravan park that will allow my dog but I think that most places only allow them in your own caravan or tent and not in their cabins or overnight vans.
Be a responsible dog owner and pick up after him or her and dont try to sneak him/ her in where they are not allowd.
Travelling with your dog (best friend ) is rewarding and by doing so responsibly ensures that we will continue to be allowed to do so.
Have fun
AnswerID: 521131

Reply By: Andrew D. - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 18:09

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 18:09
Fly the dog and get somebody to collect for you at Sydney.
Stress free on you and the dog.
AnswerID: 521136

Follow Up By: landseka - Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 11:51

Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 11:51
We flew a dog from Adelaide to Perth a couple years ago, trust me that dog was stressed, frightened and filthy from sitting in his own crap for hours, Never again.
FollowupID: 801805

Follow Up By: JessPerth - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 16:05

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 16:05
Thankyou Andrew I am also looking into flying him, however he is a Staffie and there seems to be restrictions on certain dogs, with some of the companies that organise the flight and also with Qantas direct.
FollowupID: 801949

Reply By: Herbal - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 18:51

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 18:51
Most places these days are very pet friendly...Maybe not motels and hotels...but caravan parks are. Even parks with no pet rules are often happy if it is just over night.

10 days Perth to Sydney is a big trip...do-able...but 10 days...mmm I am thinking you will be camping :)
AnswerID: 521139

Reply By: Quickboats - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 20:46

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 20:46
Caravan parks might be able to accommodate dogs..10 days is quite long to travel I suggest go with flying the dog for the convenience.
AnswerID: 521146

Reply By: equinox - Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 21:16

Friday, Nov 08, 2013 at 21:16
I did the Sydney - Melbourne - Perth run last November with the dog (and the Perth - Cairns - Sydney run just before that).

95% of the camp grounds I visited let me and my innocent little dog stay the night (or is that innocent me and my little dog lol), though I always stayed in unpowered sites on the ground in my swag.

Just follows the rules, clean up after the dog and don't let it attack anyone and you'll be fine..

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521147

Reply By: landseka - Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 11:57

Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 11:57
Most places are happy to have a dog, they never steal toilet paper, towels, mats etc. If the dog will vouch for you then often you can stay too. lol

Go to your local RAC office if you are a member, or even if not and get their publication on National Caravan Parks. They give you adresses, phone numbers facilities & if dog friendly. It also has prices but they are more often out of date but the comparitive difference between park prices remains.

They also have a similar book for hotels & motels.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 521164

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 13:26

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 13:26
Jess, here's a website that will help you somewhat. Unfortunately for travellers with dogs, a vast number of accommodation places refuse to accept pets. Those that do, insist on dogs on a leash at all times, and not inside rooms.

http://www.holidayingwithdogs.com.au/

The problem for accommodation owners is, if they allow pets, then they have to ensure there's no barking that annoys non-pet owners, and that dog hair doesn't start appearing in rooms.

My brother and SIL stayed in a motel once, and upon pulling back the bedcovers, they found a dirty big dog pawprint right in the middle of the bottom sheet! Didn't say much for the motel owners, or the people who last stayed in the room (shearers, they suspected!).

Camping areas are generally the acceptable place for dog owners to stay, so I'd advise you pack some basic camping stuff.

As far as route goes, you don't get a lot of choice when travelling East to Adelaide - but from Adelaide the choices are multiple. The shortest route is Perth - Pt. Augusta - Crystal Brook - Gulnare - Spalding - Burra - Renmark - Mildura - Hay - West Wyalong - Cowra - Bathurst - Sydney. This route is just over 4000kms.

You can travel further South in South Australia by going through Adelaide and the Barossa Valley to Bordertown - then through Northern Victoria via Nhill - Horsham - Bendigo - Shepparton - Benalla - then up the Hume Hwy directly to Sydney.
This route gives you more scenic agricultural country to drive through, as compared to the more direct "outback" route via Mildura and Bathurst.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 521216

Follow Up By: P and JM - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 17:09

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 17:09
Ron,

Why the hell would you send somebody way down south in South Australia from Port Augusta when it's quicker and easier to go via Peterborough, Broken Hill, Cobar, Dubbo, Bathurst to Sydney ?

Chow P&J
FollowupID: 801887

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 17:59

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 17:59
P&J - Because the girl asked about a "nice route" - and I gave her the scenic Southern detour! [;-)

You and I might be happy with an endless view of flat, featureless, hot, dry and unihabitated outback terrain - but in January, I reckon the scenic Southern detour probably appeals a lot more, to the majority of "non-4WD" travellers! [:-)

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 521222

Follow Up By: Herbal - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 19:28

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 19:28
I am with you Ron...

If it twer me, I would go the Renmark way and follow the river right through to the Hume...and if time allowed maybe even continue through to the coast and follow the Princess HWY up to Sydney. Could even go a little further south and come over the snowies to the coast...and that would be some really pretty country to see!

I once went from Wollongong to Puckapunyl down the coast road and over the snowies (about the same time - early Jan). Left just as the sun was coming up and arrived at Pucka just in time to have dinner at the Mess.

400 to 500km per day is some big driving for anyone not used to it. All along the river there are really nice towns to stop and rest.

It will be a big enough drive from Perth to S.A, without adding even more hundreds of km of dry hot desert to the trip.

FollowupID: 801894

Follow Up By: JessPerth - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 16:23

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 16:23
Yes well we're not experience long distance travellers at all. The only reason for the trip is relocation for work and having a semi anxious, previously abused, rescue dog is troublesome so I'm not sure how he'll go on a flight or in the car for that distance.
Thank you everyone for your input, I have to weigh up all the options here....
FollowupID: 801951

Follow Up By: Herbal - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 16:44

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 16:44
No worries.

Are you Defence? If you are, there are some other options!

It does not matter which way you look at it...Perth to Sydney is one very big trip. Over 10 days it is 400 to 500km per day at least.

Have a talk to your vet. You can get some medication to relax your dog...he will love it...He will be telling all friends about it...I can hear him now - wow man my human is cool. she gives me some really cool bleep , get a load of this woof -
FollowupID: 801952

Follow Up By: JessPerth - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 16:54

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 16:54
No not defence.
I have mapped out a route according to a whole load of forums I've looked at, will run it past you experienced people if this road trip goes ahead to see what you all think ;)
5 hours or so of driving per day seems rough, especially in summer.
FollowupID: 801953

Follow Up By: Herbal - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 17:26

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 17:26
Yes, post the route.

Um...5 hours or so? (I know some people will jump in to differ)...When planning the trip work on 65km per hour.

Without getting down to the nearest gum tree...Say 5000km trip at 65km per hour = about 77 hours. So call it 80...Over ten days = 8 hours per day if all goes well.

Night time driving on those open roads is just plain stupid...At 100kmh hitting a roo or a dingo or something bigger can kill you!...At 60kmh, it can do some serious damage. So yes, the summer heat of day, is the best option :)

If it were me...I would be planning on ten hour days. I would look at a relaxed 8am start with a plan to be having a nice cold beer by 6pm. That would allow for plenty of time to cover 500km with plenty of rest and sight seeing time...;)
FollowupID: 801957

Follow Up By: JessPerth - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 18:02

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 18:02
Ron and Herbal
I posted the route below, let me know what you think...
Yes nice leisurely 8 -10hr days would be perfect, with lots of stops for dog and stretch and some sight seeing....
FollowupID: 802009

Reply By: cruiser 3 - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 21:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 21:00
Hi Jess
We took 15 days driving from Perth to Sydney but we were towing a caravan. We stopped for 2 days visiting friends and took a longer way taking a river cruise at Mildura then through Tumut.and a day in the Snowy Mountains followed by the War Memorial at Canberra.
So I think you could do it in 10 days easily.
Regards
Cruiser
AnswerID: 521274

Reply By: JessPerth - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 17:37

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 17:37
So the route I'm looking at is
Perth-Kalgoorlie - we could spend NYE there but who the hell knows what goes on ion Kalgoorlie on NYE!!!!!
-stopping off to see the salt lakes?
- Norseman
- Cocklebiddy
- Eucla
- Ceduna
- Port Augusta
- Mildura
- Wagga Wagga
- Sydney

So that's not quite 10 days, so I need to tweek this, but that's the general jist of it.....but please let me know if this route sounds OK or if there is any must sees en route that I have missed out by going this way.
I think we've decided to get a tent, as my friends just drove last week Perth-Melbourne in 2 weeks and said caravan parks were about $25 for tent.
And from what you have all suggested, it seems dogs are allowed.
AnswerID: 521306

Follow Up By: Herbal - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 06:56

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 06:56
That sounds OK to me...

The only thing I would do different would be Mildura to Albury/Wodonga via the Murray Valley HWY.

There is a lot of fruit and wine growing along the Murray Valley. The riverside towns are closer together and it's just a nicer trip.

$25 per night sounds about right.
FollowupID: 802036

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 00:43

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 00:43
Jess, that's a good route in January. NYE in Kalgoorlie is quite good. The population of Kal is 32,000, and the pubs always provide good entertainment on NYE. Google "NYE Kalgoorlie" and see what comes up.

Go into Norseman and turn left up Mines road from the centre of town, and go right to the top of the hill to Beacon Lookout, to get spectacular views.

This following site gives you all the sights to see from Coolgardie to Pt Augusta.

Nullarbor.net

Don't forget to stop at the Head of the Bight for the great views.
There's a whale watch viewing platform further East from the Head of the Bight, but you'll be lucky to see any whales in January.

Don't travel after dark on the Eyre Hwy, the kangaroos are out in force.
Be aware of the amount of large trucks on the Hwy, they travel in loose groups generally, and you can come across a lot at some times of the day or night.

The trucks leave Perth Monday afternoons generally, after they have unloaded and loaded up again. Most truckies prefer to travel at night, so it's not unusual to have 150 trucks a night thundering past your camp.
The trucks usually leave Melbourne and Adelaide on Friday nights, so they can get to Perth by Sunday afternoon or Monday morning.
So, you'll run into big numbers of trucks heading West in the Eastern part of the Nullarbor on Friday and Saturday nights.

Be aware that Balladonia, Madura, Border Village, Nullarbor and Nundroo are the most expensive for fuel and accommodation - and Caiguna, Mundrabilla, Eucla and Penong have cheaper prices.

Be aware also, that despite the heat in January, you can get some cold nights, particularly if a cold front brushes the Bight. Thus, don't forget to take a small amount of warm clothing/bedding.

Good luck with your trip, I trust you enjoy it.

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 802087

Follow Up By: JessPerth - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:38

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:38
Wow what awesome advise and feedback! Thanks guys... now I'm really excited. I have a brand new car too, Nissan SUV only done 500km so should be nice and safe.
I'll def take into account the trucks schedule.
This trip is all dependent on whether I get this new job, but at least now I am all prepared for if I do.
Thank you so much, and I will keep you posted...
:))
FollowupID: 802105

Follow Up By: Jennifer K2 - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 16:28

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 16:28
We did the trip a couple of years ago in five days and we leave (Sydney) on Friday to drive to perth and we are doing it in four days my parents did it three months ago in three days. So ten days will be fine.
FollowupID: 803899

Follow Up By: Herbal - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 17:07

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 17:07
Oh...OK.

Sydney to Perth = about 4040km (shortest according to whereis).

If you were somehow able to drive say 16 hours per day, without stopping at all, even for fuel, that would be about 1347km per day over 3 days...which is an average of about 85 kph.

Like any average, that would mean your parents must have been hitting speeds of close to 200 kph at times.

You're lucky that your parents are not dead...or in jail for killing some other poor innocent road user...

At least you are going to do it in 4 days. That reduces your speed a fair bit...But 1000km per day for 4 days straight will do little for your fatigue...

Sounds to me like it runs in the family ;)
FollowupID: 803904

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 18:16

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 18:16
Sydney to Perth in 3 days? This is idiocy, unless you have two drivers.
FollowupID: 803911

Sponsored Links