ideas for engel fridge box

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 09, 2013 at 20:39
ThreadID: 105066 Views:5424 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have a SR5 hilux and I am after ideas for a storage box in the back for my 40l engel.

I don't have or want a canopy on the back but I do have a draw system that raises the floor to the top of the wheel guard's. I also have alloy ladder racks and roof basket that would prevent some ideas I have seen where the box lid open's from the top. I was thinking it would be better to put the opening at the tailgate end of the ute with a fridge slide that pulls out and down. I welcome advice on the best brands or options.

I guess to some it up, I want to come up with a fairly common (draw and fridge) canopy set up. Except I don't want the canopy. I do however want to keep the fridge out of the weather dust and water.

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 09:20

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 09:20
You might need to check with manufacturers to see how much air space and ventilation the fridge needs before putting it in a box. If you are only taking it for fairly short trips once in a while would the Engel insulating cover and a tarp be enough protection? John
AnswerID: 521203

Follow Up By: black pearl - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 18:06

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 18:06
Thanks for that,

The more I look into it it would not be worth the cost and time to produce.

It would mainly be for a one off trip to the cape. Might have to suck it up and buy a canopy
FollowupID: 801890

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 20:38

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 20:38
Hi , I think it would be wise to go for a canopy for the trip to the cape , you will come across a lot of dust and if it rains , well then there will be mud. You have a safe trip and enjoy, we did. cheers Judy
AnswerID: 521232

Reply By: KevinE - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 08:22

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 08:22
Our fridge works perfectly in an ordinary, everyday toolbox. I lock it in when we're on the move & lift the lid when we stop.

The toolbox has a seal around the inside of the lid & there is space for air movement around the fridge vents.

It has traveled near & far & we have never had a problem with it.

Some will advise you to cut vents into the toolbox, DON'T DO IT! It just lets dust in.

I hear what you're saying about a canopy lol!
AnswerID: 521245

Sponsored Links