Avan Caravan clearance.

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 20:09
ThreadID: 105075 Views:4295 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I am looking at an Avan 18.5'Liam HT caravan to do the big trip around OZ.
This will be mainly a sealed road trip, with off road exploration with out the van attached.
Has anyone had experience with these vans, I want to know if they have had any trouble with the step to the entry of the van scrapping excessively as this step looks very close to the ground and may scrape when going into drive ways.
Thanks for all responses.
Regards
Peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 22:31

Sunday, Nov 10, 2013 at 22:31
If the model has a beam axle then it will only cost you a few hundred dollars to get it raised 50 to 100 mm if you find you need a bit of a lift. See this link.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 521238

Reply By: jacent - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:56

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:56
In laws got a new avan off road tandem for their big lap, no end of dramas, the fridge hadn't been wired up properly so had to have it fixed, no tv reception for the whole trip( aerial omni directional didn't work, skylight over bed latches blew open and snapped, the wrong offset rimms were fitted and tyres rubbed on chassis and guards, had to get new rims in Newman as it nearly caught fire, first time he put the awning up there was a slight breeze and it snapped off completely, they seem to try to build a nice looking van out of cheap parts, we were traveling with them older van and never had a problem, spent a lot of time working on the brand new one
AnswerID: 521252

Follow Up By: jacent - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 13:01

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 13:01
It didn't ruin their trip but I felt so sorry for them as they thought a new car and van would =no issues but not the case, they sold it as soon as they got home and would never buy another avan brand. The step prob was the only thing that didn't cause a problem
FollowupID: 801933

Reply By: rooster350 - Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 20:20

Monday, Nov 11, 2013 at 20:20
We have a 2001 model Avan Tayla dual axle , it has been over what I believe to be some of the roughest roads in Australia , the worst thing that has happened to it is a broken spring and that happened on a smooth dirt road. The electronic ? spot welding on the mudguards did let go in a couple of places as well but was easily fixed with sealant and pop rivets...I reckon ours is pretty damn tough..cheers
AnswerID: 521273

Reply By: Andrew D. - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 14:47

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 14:47
I would buy a Jayco Starcraft or Sterling for all the right reasons.
AnswerID: 521296

Follow Up By: peteraw - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 18:19

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 18:19
Thanks Andrew,
I did have a Jayco Heritage a couple of years back, had troublle with gel coat crazy cracking and this van was kept under cover, was pretty disappointed. I had a look at a Jayco discovery a month or so back and was scared off again as this van had crazy cracked acrossed the roof, so have been turned away from Jayco fibreglass. The Starcraft looks a good van, I don't know why the new model has gone to fibreglass back and front.
Hopefully the liam will be a good van, inlaws have a Tayla and have travelled the east and west coast with no hassles, time will tell.
Regards
Peter

FollowupID: 802012

Reply By: LIFE MEMBER-snailbait - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 16:24

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 16:24
Peteraw
I had a liam mk 11 it was a pop top we did the big trip had the van for 5 years ours was the adventer pack which has an extra step it was very stable and towed well there were a number of problems which led us to trade it in on a new OWEN HT 20 FT
1 you can not get to the toilet with the roof down
2 when you put extra on the roof it was hard to push up
3 the spring sagged after 2 years was replaced with 7 leaf springs from 5 leaf spring rock and roll
4 we did not like the table and seat we tried to bolster the cushions but that did not work
5 the combo shower and toilet when you had a shower it wet the toilet seat and toilet paper
But apart from that it was a great caravan
Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 521448

Sponsored Links