Centroid 14 and member Lewis K (QLD)

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 06:59
ThreadID: 105087 Views:2285 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Thread 53697

(Reference Thread ID: 53697, which should be linked above.)

In 2008, member Lewis K (QLD) revealed the location of "Centroid 14" near Giles. This is reputedly the "most remote spot in Australia", i.e. the farthest from all the capitals. He stated anyone visiting the spot was entitled to a certificate issued by the gentleman who actually calculated the position. All you had to do was photo-document your visit to the site, and then contact Lewis K.

However, Lewis K is no longer listed as a member here. So how would one contact him with questions about Centroid 14 (or to request a certificate, LOL)? Does anyone know an alternate way to contact him?
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Travelinglew - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 15:13

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 15:13
Gday Candance.
No longer a member as I am not traveling at the moment but I am still popping into the site on a regular basis.

I will need an email address (preferred) or a phone number and I will pass on for you.

Have not spoken to the original person who calculated the location for a while so am not 100% sure if he is still doing certificates but we can only try
AnswerID: 521298

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 16:27

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 16:27
Thanks for the reply! Sorry if I gave the wrong impression: I've not been to the site, at least not yet! But perhaps if I make it out that way again I can stop by. :)

I tried plotting the coordinates for both the site and the turnoff from the road on Google Earth. (The turnoff coordinates, S 25 15 14, E 128 33 21, were posted in thread 62020.) However, the turnoff coordinates map to a point about 500m from the road. So I'm not sure if the site coordinates you provided will map correctly.

GerryP, who posted the turnoff coordinates, indicated they reference the AGD 84 datum. What about the site coordinates, what datum do they reference? And how do I adjust Google Earth so these coordinates map correctly?!

I'm trying to determine how far the site is from the road. It would also be good to be sure my GPS is pointing to the right place if I ever do try to get there, LOL!
FollowupID: 802004

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 23:05

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 23:05
Hi Candace,

Not sure if I would consider that the most remote spot is the farthest from the captials.
I'm not saying I wouldn't go there and it isn't remote though don't get me wrong.

I reckon if you called for help there on the Sat phone it would roll up in a vehicle in a matter of hours.

When considering if you are remote I'd consider other factors not necessarily in this order, such as:

The distance from nearest community or permanent resident.
The distance to nearest track.
The distance to nearest available helicopter or Army Base
The distance to known water sources.
Your knowledge of the area.
Availability of game, and procurement methods
Time of year you are travelling.
The type of vehicle you are travelling in and if it is properly equipped.
Whether you are in a single vehicle or in a convoy.
If in a single vehicle whether there are others in your vehicle.
The type of communications you are carrying.
Your state of fitness, mind and age.

Let us know how you go :-)
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521334

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 01:33

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 01:33
If you map the coordinates, you'll see this spot is just a few km (i.e., within walking distance) off the Giles-Mulga Park road. So I think that fact addresses most of your concerns. It is not "the most remote spot" in the sense of being far away from ANY development, simply from the capitals.
FollowupID: 802034

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 01:47

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 01:47
Hi Candace,

I do not mean for my comments to respresent concerns. You sound like an adventerous woman from your previous posts - my comments are meant to guide you in your quest for the adventure that I think you seek.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 802035

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:10

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:10
OK, now I understand!

I'm definitely aware of a few truly remote places in Oz I'd like to go (Dragon Tree Soak and the Simson Geo Centre come to mind...). But living overseas makes it difficult and expensive to arrange such trips. :) I'll have to be content with pursuing such goals closer to home, hehe.
FollowupID: 802041

Sponsored Links