Comment: EOTopo

Have just received my copy of EOTopo and find the maps are great. Very clear and loaded without a hitch.
Question? How do I use the "name" file. I understand it contains a heap of waypoints but how do I use them and load waypoints into OzExplorer
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:03

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:03
Alan, which version of OziExplorer are you using. Is it PC, CE, or Android?

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521292

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:07

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:07
I have it on a PC using windows 8 and am about to put it on an indash navigator in vehicle which uses CE.

Alan
FollowupID: 801988

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:12

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:12
On the PC version - the OziExplorer menu as a button on the far right labelled "Name". Click this - it will pop up a box. On this box click the LOAD button. This will pop up a browse window where you need to browse for the file that came on your EOTopo purchase in the Name Search folder. Select it, click Open. You can search for a Place, make waypoints or points from the name search data using the buttons and options available in the name search window. Hope this helps.

Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 801989

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:26

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:26
Thanks Michelle

Found the button and found all the points and how to make waypoints.

Thanks for your help. Never used the Name button before. Now the only problem is having so many waypoints to choose from LOL

Thanks

Alan
FollowupID: 801991

Reply By: Andrew D. - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 14:23

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 14:23
Shopping cart is not good and in my case cannot be used.
No provision for sufficient address lines
No provision to change town name for post code.
Heaps of post codes have heaps of town names and makes significant difference for delivery.
In many cases one postcode willl have Townname, then Townname South etc.
Doesn't tell you early on prior to ordering methods you can pay.
AnswerID: 521294

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 19:02

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 19:02
Andrew we certainly do offer all the changes you've listed in our cart process but if you are having problems ordering, please ring our office on (08) 9467 4025 leave your contact details and Adele will call you back to take your order over the phone.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802015

Reply By: Zebra400 - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 21:11

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 21:11
Just received my copy of EOTopo. It looks good for outback, but when I checked out Victoria, I was very surprised to find that Eastlink (which opened 5 years ago), does not show on the map.

Any reason for this omission?

AnswerID: 521327

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 21:17

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 21:17
Also the Packenham bypass (opened in 2007) doesn't show. The Calder Freeway to Bendigo is missing (opened in 2009) .Plus the Geelong bypass (opened earlier this year) is missing as well.

It looks like old data is being used in Victoria.
FollowupID: 802023

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 21:31

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 21:31
Zebra, I am disappointed to see that. My copy should arrive this week but I tend to use a 1:25,000 map version with a lot of detail in Victoria. It shows a survey for the Geelong bypass. The Geelong Bypass has been open for a few years now, though the last part though only in the past year.

I will be interested to see what tracks show in the Pyrenees area.
FollowupID: 802025

Follow Up By: Andrew D. - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 14:16

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 14:16
What really dissapointed me and stopped me from buying the 1:200k Oztopo is so much pertinent detail has been removed. Heaps of names are missing compared to the Geoscience 1:250k and things like mines and quarries have been left off.
Topographic maps are all about area knowledge and a picture of what there is to explore and should include as much detail/everything.
FollowupID: 802051

Follow Up By: Hugh D - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 16:18

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 16:18
I absolutely agree with Andrew D. It is really annoying to come across a track that has been left off the map because someone doesn't want you to use it. Show it as closed, but don't pretend it isn't there. Maps should be an accurate record, not a future plan
FollowupID: 802053

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 13:37

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 13:37
Zebra,
We are updating all the road data at present and as per our documentation on the EOTopo page. There is a lot to be done and we have completed most of NSW thus far. We are moving into VIC next and expect this to be in the online product before XMAS. The other states are expect in Jan/Feb with the next 200K release end Feb/March.

John,
Pyrenees area updates have been supplied by Bonz and will be in the next release. It is hoped this will be available end mid - end Feb. Using the lifetime upgrade plan the upgrade will be media and handling only.

Andrew - There should be no data missing - in fact we have output more than the specification on the NATMAP product - NATMAP used distance and other filters on the database which we removed. In our investigations we had significantly more data output than 250K. Can you point me to an area so we can investigate what may have happened just use the EOTopo Online system and zoom all the way in this is a similar level of detail to the 200K product. In the online product a lot of features disappear when you zoom out, is this where the issue is?

Hugh - I have not left any tracks off the maps. The only place that was removed is Wittenoom in WA as this town was de gazetted. If there is something missing please let me know and we will get it sorted in the next update.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802497

Follow Up By: Andrew D. - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 14:53

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 14:53
David if you look at this image
http://img.exploroz.com/Shop/Images/Items/2735_11__TN800x600.jpg?_290650
and then look at the Geoscience 1:250k you can see the massive difference of missing information. The mines, wells, springs, caves, quarries etc. are all mising. Vital information needed on topographic maps. Reason I *LOVE* my topographic maps. The more information the better.
FollowupID: 802506

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 15:05

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 15:05
Andrew,

Here are the two images in question for the exact same space - I cannot see much specifically missing - there are a few label differences the 200K has some that are not on the 250K and visa versa. So here are both images for comparison on the same page. Would be happy to adjust labelling algorithms to make it better if there is anything specific that you believe should be added.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802507

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 15:26

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 15:26
I was a little short on the extract for the NATMAP - so this is more close to the exact square.

I can see some of the mine names as you indicate but on the other hand on the NATMAP you have no idea on being able to read the topology due to the label density. How do those contours work under the Barraranna Gorge area. It is all a toss up one way or the other - I worked on being able to actually read topology more than mine names. As long as I know there was a mine there as indicated by the symbols (and they are all there) I did not care as much for the name - I can use name search or other other to find that if needed. This can be adjusted of course and I am happy to do it if you think the names need to be there I can make labelling adjustments, reduce fonts etc.

Happy to hear more feedback on this as it can only assist in making the product better.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802508

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 16:22

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 16:22
Really that natmap is a dog's breakfast, as long as all the symbols are there is the main thing, the names might appear on a very close zoom . I think the natmap is how not to do a topo.
your fonts and labelling are pretty well spot on .
FollowupID: 802512

Follow Up By: Hugh D - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 17:09

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 17:09
I have to say that comparison has sold me! It looks like a much more usable map, so I guess I will have to scrape some pennies together.
FollowupID: 802521

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 21:51

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 21:51
Andrew,
Thanks also for your post as I noticed the tower shown on the map was stating tower only and not its full name. I have identified a label update to ensure the name is output when it fits. The tower in question should have labelled which is how we noticed. So thanks this will get loaded into 2013.5 which will hit the online service next week.
Not a huge issue but excellent to fix it early.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802544

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 21:53

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 21:53
Oops lookout not tower, it is in the tower - vertical obstructions layer.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802545

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:38

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:38
Thanks for your input David. So it you are updating the data in Victoria by Christmas, where do we stand with updates?
FollowupID: 802593

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:31

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:31
Good question! No really I have some idea but it is a little difficult to fully lock it down. As of a phone call about 30 mins ago and the stocks of our first round of media going out the door quickly. I will have to burn more media prior to XMAS. On this media I will release the updates to where I am at - At this stage I expect this to be all primary/dual roads around the country and several sections of NSW (update close date 1 Nov). This will not be a major fan fair release but will be called 2013.5 (last release for 2013).

The next major release is expected mid/end Feb (prior to main outback season) and will include more road updates (VIC and QLD) at this stage I cannot be sure exactly what we will be in this as a whole but it will be the fan fair release and be offered with the upgrade option to existing customers. Of course I may need to sneak a few incidental updates into the online thus the fan fair release may not be 2014.1 it could be .2 or .3 but the timing (mid/end Feb) is important.

If you really do not want to wait we can do something but I have to be careful not to introduce too much admin into the process. You will be able to view the progress in the online system so you will have some idea what is going on.

The reason for the schedule is it takes about 2 hours to release to online but nearly 5 days to release to media hence it happens only a few times per year. I expected more updates in the first year/s but do not want so many that we cannot keep up.

I hope this helps.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802605

Sponsored Links