Choose your camp trailer carefully

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 13:46
ThreadID: 105093 Views:2917 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have an Ezy Trail camp trailer which is 18 months old. All of the peg straps and rope straps have deteriorated and now we cant assemble the tent correctly which means when it rains we now have a pool of water on the floor of the tent. I rang the manufacture and was immediately told that the trailer only has 12 months warranty so I should take it to a canvas repairer and have it repaired at my own cost, was not happy at all and would not recommend this brand trailer to anyone.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 15:00

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 15:00
There's plenty of comment on their website Kathleen to suggest that your camper will perform admirably for a long time ! Hold them to that ! They are most likely hoping that you will just walk away - many retailers/manufacturers do....oh.... and as widely reported, after the first phone call (where you would hope to be invited to bring the trailer back for inspection), further phone calls are useless. Write to them and request that they remedy the failure of their product, as required under their obligations within Aust. consumer law. If that was to fail, write to Consumer Affairs in your state. Guessing that the tent was made in China, that's probably why they want you to go to a local repairer.... otherwise they will have to take it to a local repairer :-o).
AnswerID: 521297

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 16:31

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 16:31
From their website...
"For over 8 years, Ezytrail Camper Trailers has been a leader and innovator of quality genuine Australian camper trailers designed specifically for Australian conditions. Throughout this time, we have maintained a strong focus on not only the quality and reputation of our camper trailers, but also integrity and honesty displayed to our customers.

At Ezytrail, we're more than just about building camper trailers. We're about building long term relationships with our customers. Our commitment to both our product and the satisfaction of our customers continues long after the camper trailer is towed away."

Remind them of a few quotes from it.

Even though the statutory warranty is only 12 months, you would reasonably expect a slightly longer life from components of the camper trailer.
AnswerID: 521301

Reply By: Kathleen I - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 17:40

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 17:40
Thanks guys I will definitely chase this up with them and write a letter as suggested. I would have expected the quality of the fittings to be of a better standard and last a lot longer.
AnswerID: 521307

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 18:34

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 18:34
Kathleen
The UV from the sun appears to have deteriorated the fittings which weren't treated/ suitable for use in the sun and the UV also seems to have affected their memory of their own advertising claims.

I agree, it should be taken to a canvas repairer as they would and should have to do to rectify the situation.
Keep up the official pressure on them so it is them who has to have it done, preferably by a repairer of your choice but at their expense.
AnswerID: 521314

Reply By: Pete G - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 22:25

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 22:25
Kathleen, as per others have said, fight for your rights. Goods must be of merchantable quality, be fit for purpose and by implication be reasonably durable, certainly more than 18 months in your case. That said, just give some thought to any chemicals the camper may have been exposed to either by cleaning or where it has been stored. Things like hydrochloric acid or sodium hypochlorite seem to affect things nearby even though they are in sealed containers.
I have a boat tarp with webbing loops that have withstood 18 years fully exposed and are about to be re-used. By comparison some webbing 3yrs old un-used and never outside an enclosed garage just crumbled in my hand.
I would surmise a few savings were made in some cheap webbing.
Poor service and support does not make for repeat business and they are the loser in the long run.
Good Luck and keep is posted

Regards

Pete G

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 521330

Reply By: Dreadnought - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 02:33

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 02:33
Hi Kathleen,
A product such as your camper trailer, given the companys' claim should reasonably be expected to last longer than 18months....... Even if they only give you a 12 month warranty, you might still be protected under Australian Consumer Law which, in a nutshell, allows for return/repair of goods at companies expense if they don't last what is deemed a reasonable length of time. For example, for the price you pay for a good LED TV, you would expect it to last longer than 12 months, even if it only comes with a 12 month warranty...........Have a look at this link it explains it a bit better...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-07/broken-but-out-of-warranty-you-still-have-rights/2749924

Stand your ground and let them know you are serious....The last thing any company wants is bad publicity or a trip to the courts.......Good Luck.

p.s. If the link doesn't work, just copy/paste into your browser address bar.....

AnswerID: 521343

Sponsored Links