Pyrenees Gathering 2013 report

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 18:48
ThreadID: 105097 Views:3775 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Well this year was a bumper year for the ExplorOz Pyrenees gathering. With a healthy contingent from South Oz (including Jan from Prague and Waz from France) and a really healthy contingent from Victoria, there were 67 all up there on the Saturday.

This is the seventh year in a row for this gathering and its really one that people have taken to heart, I know that Imogen looks forward to it all year, you can’t keep Muzbry away with a stick, and Robin and Anne even conscripted Robins brother Terry so we had someone to clean up the prizes!

The SA guys headed off at 0830 (SA time) which is apparently different to Victorian time but I just think Blaze slept in and as using any excuse for his late departure. They found a great track which is featured elsewhere and whoever said a 200series can’t jump just needs to look at the pics on that other thread.

We, the Vics, under the expert directions of our group navigator Miss Lily (ten years old!) managed to find a un-named track that started out rough, then got rougher, and then it really got rough and challenging.
[Image cannot be loaded]

Our new best mate PeterS found the transition to the bypass track too easy and managed to highside his delightful TDV8 Troopie, just to add the level of difficulty, every slip of the clutch pushed him closer to a tree and we could but listen onto the UHF for news of the progress. Septuagenarian Muzbry snatched him uphill in reverse to gain a more sure footing and progress continued to lunch.

After lunch our trek took up down another track that managed to claim a dent and slight remodelling of the passenger door, on a particularly gnarly section of the homeward bound track. Even Robin Millers showroom clean patrol took it slowly.

Miss Lily ran a competition for the time of arrival back to camp which was won my Member-MadCowz, following Miss Lily’s dismissal of protests, Boards of Inquiry and threatened hissy fits from GeorgeM and Muzbry in Tail End Charlie – Judges Decision is FINAL! She told them, I can still hear Georges laugh ringing in my ears.

The Saturday night Long Dinner was a huge effort feeding 64 (including three vegetarians) hungry explorers a full spit roast, and vegetables, including corn on the cob and delicious gravy. A HUGE vote of thanks to Terry Carpenter and Leanne, and Mrs Bonz for cooking the feast and making the night go so well, and also Skylar and Lily for helping with the serving! What a great feed! I think Matt, of Matt&Julie fame had a couple of helpings such was the deliciousness, and Julie, thankyou for helping clean up, you just can’t stop her helping and our great gratitude goes to her for being her.

We drew the raffle, with great prizes provided by the EO team, thankyou Michele and Adele, and then ran the traditional trivia quiz, mooted to be “Much harder this year” by someone who didn’t win! This was won by Terry Miller and GeorgeM, who tossed a coin to decide who won the major prize, a Lifetime Membership with EO. Guess I should have kept that 50c coin because EO have graciously offered another Lifetime membership for GeorgeM, so congratulations, both for your fairness and your award.Well done.

Sunday the weather turned out a peach and a short steep trek landed us back at camp safe with no more war wounds and a track cleaned up with a handy chainsaw.

Member TrevorDavid kept mentioning that those tracks would be a challenge to go uphill! Maybe next year mate!

A fantastic time was had by all, new attendee Stuarat, at least that’s what his name tag said, of Stuart and Gunny fame commented that everyone he spoke to was fine, upstanding and a great person, but I don’t think he spoke to the Dust Devil.

Thanks to everyone for coming along and pitching in and making the gathering the success it was, it really is the people we meet that makes EO a great starting point for life long friendships. Lets do it all again next year eh?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 19:11

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 19:11
Looks and sounds like a great gathering Bonz. On behalf of the entire ExplorOz community, please accept our sincere gratitude expressed to both your and your wife Imogen for the energy, and passion to organise and host such a successful event in the name of ExplorOz. We are very grateful to have you and hope you managed to have some fun despite all the obvious work that would have been involved.

Best regards, Michelle & David

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 521315

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 19:55

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 19:55
Thanx Michelle, and thank you for your generous offer and assistance with prizes, I had time for one fun, and a bit of a rest, when I got back to work Monday!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802017

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 18:37

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 18:37
I will mention to my daughter Imogen, that she's been mis-taken for my wife Michelle, I am sure she will be suitably horrified. My other wife Marie, had a great weekend too.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802141

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 19:51

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 19:51
Bonz........Thank you

Terry, Leanne & Bonzette ( Maree ) thank you for such a lovely Long Dinner

Fanbloodytastic weekend

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521318

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 20:25

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 20:25
Gday
What a great weekend . I enjoyed my time at Grenpatrick again. I'm not to sure that the judges decision should be final, but until we can get some good honest judges that will take bribes , they will have to do.....Thanks Bonz for another good time....

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 521322

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 20:25

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 at 20:25
Bonz
You did it again and organized another great weekend. Great report and photos also as also with Robins and Blaze's run down on the weekend.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 521323

Reply By: Rob K (VIC) - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 09:17

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 09:17
Hi Bonz and Robin,

Great read and sounded like a great trip. I might have to see if the other half and I can make it next year.

I'm planning a trip up to the Pyrenees in March 2014 with a few mates (one of the two annual trips we do every Labour Day and Queens Birthday weekend) and would really appreciate hearing about some suggested tracks in the area. You wouldn't happen to have a track plot of the "Gathering" trip I could get hold of for our trip planning? We've been there before and are looking for some new tracks to try. I'd be interested to see where you and the others went compared to our last adventure there a couple of years ago. If it's on the ExplorOz website, just point me in the right direction and I'll download it. Otherwise, could I ask you nicely to email the plot file to me, the email address is shown in my member details.

Cheers

Rob K
AnswerID: 521352

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 17:09

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 17:09
Yes, he's given them to me so I can publish them in the trek Notes and add to the updates on EOTopo.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802056

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:30

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:30
Have sent you a gpx file Rob

It contains 3 tracks we have documented and reccomend.
All leaving from camping point Waypoint labelled GLENPAT-RE.
All can be done with 32" wheels and 2" lift -see notes.
File includes some numbered waypoints which are mostly at track junctions.

1/ Big Bad loop -> a 6 hr drive with a lunch stop in middle at Waterfalls picnic spot.
In this trip there are 2 wpt marked Ruts rocks / and Rocky which are rutted downhill sections requiring care with likely hood of sill damage on standard cars but I drove undamaged with 2" lift and someone guiding wheels a bit. (not reccomended in rain).

2/ Glen Moonbeam -> a great 3 hr drive with spectacular views all 4wds can do without damage.
It follows a high ridgeline and ends at a lovely place for coffee/meals called MoonBeam cottages (also great place to stay - if one needs to accomodate relucant spouses.)

3/Unusal drive south around MT Cole - mostly quite easy with one Waypoint called Steep Down at a steep downhill section ok for all 4wds with care.

Robin Miller

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 802097

Reply By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 13:30

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 13:30
Bonz,Maree and others who helped.
Thanks for a great well run weekend.As it was my first rally i have been on with exploroz it was really enjoyable.All the people were friendly,the kids were amazing they were so well behaved and the dogs were great.It was a pleasure to meet such a friendly bunch of people.I think everybody had a great time.Thanks for making me feel welcome and i look forward to attending more functions like this.
AnswerID: 521363

Reply By: peter s62 - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 14:48

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 14:48
As a first timer to this Pyrenees trip I recommend it to others. Bonz and his helpers did a fabulous job in making everyone feel welcome, in suggesting tracks to drive or alternate stuff to do. The catering was excellent and night activities - trivia quiz and raffle - were fun and all done with people of similar outdoor interests of camping and 4 wheel driving.
Thanks again to Bonz, his helpers and to Michelle and David of Exploroz.
Regards PeterS.
AnswerID: 521366

Reply By: Terry 80FTE - Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 23:34

Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 23:34
Thanks Bonz and the EO team for a great weekend,
(being a newby I didn't realise I was allowed input, or would have replied sooner,
at least it's still november)
Really enjoyed meeting new faces, the long table dinner, the drives and cleaning up the prizes lol.
Looking forward to future events.
Cheers
Justify Your Existence
VKS 737 mobile 2458

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522392

Reply By: MadCowz-lifemember (VIC) - Monday, Dec 30, 2013 at 17:09

Monday, Dec 30, 2013 at 17:09
As always it was a great, fun filled weekend. Our kids look forward to it each year, even more so now that one can drive the tracks legally. Our extended family were there for the third time and loved it too...
Brilliant job by Terry, Leanne and Marie pulling together a hot dinner for us all saturday night.
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 523661

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 11:38

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 11:38
Bonz,

I wonder if anyone is keen for this at this years Pyrenees gathering? I was tempted to try it at the National but the terrain is not the best out there

Would be well worth the trip from up here to watch the action LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 523756

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 16:32

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 16:32
Could be a winner, doesn't look too dangerous?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 805323

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 16:39

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 16:39
Michelle should be able to cover the Public Liability LOL

Just have to pick a track to do it on hehehe

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 805324

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 14:51

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 14:51
Bonz, did you notice the title of the Video???.....Extreme BARBIE Racing!

Happy New Year to you both and your families.

Regards,

Adrian
FollowupID: 805380

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 16:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 16:00
hahah the name of the video wasnt lost on me Adrian! Maybe next year, hmm still thinking billy cart derby, that could be another day gathering maybe ....
Happy Christmas and New Year to you too mate

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 805383

Sponsored Links