Touring versus off road

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 18:45
ThreadID: 105110 Views:2954 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I'm currently looking to purchase a Jayco camper trailer and wanted to ask if someone could tell me whether the touring version is capable of going on unsealed roads. In particular roads such as the one to Treachery surf camp or Sandbar which aren't long or what I would consider harsh.

Looking at either new or second hand so would like to know if taking tourer on any unsealed might void warranty etc.

Thanks,
Mrp
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 20:16

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 20:16
Sometimes you just have to taste and try but I have been there before with these campers and mate, they are a pain for touring when you have to set up every night and down the next morning. A flip-over camper is easier and you can get yourself a genuine offroader while you're at it.

They look nice and shiny and very roomy inside but they are not for frequent stops, that's for sure. I suppose different people have different tolerances but having had both, I reckon the wind-up camper is really for longer stays and not a serious offroader, if you are taking that into account.

AnswerID: 521387

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 20:54

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 20:54
So, what you are sayong is that you cannot get set up easily in the evening, and pack up iun the morning.

We have a wind-up Goldstream Storm Vacationer, and find that, with our amount of practice so far, we can be set up inside 30 minutes from stopping, and packed up within around 45. It is likely to get faster at both ends of the day when we are doing it regularly.

Given that the whole intent is to be self-sufficient when we both have no work to "get back to", that suits us perfectly. Added to that is the fact that the body length is the interior length when setup. The beds do not take up ANY of the floor space of the van itself.

So, looking at the floorplan you can see that the kitchen and dining area are usable, no need to faff about with a drop-down table as a bed, everything is there ready to be used!

To get the same amount of usable floorspace as we have in a 6m "travel length" (which is ball to tail length) we would need to have somewhere in the region of 7.5 metres of "conventional" van.

We aren't happy about that comparison.
FollowupID: 802070

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 21:13

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 21:13
I didn't come on here to make you happy but to respond to the OP. I did point out the great amount of space. I have had one (remember?) and prefer a flip over and most people I have met who have had both say likewise. But everybody's needs are different and that is our experience and our preference. No need to agree/disagree or get upset or to explain. Just enjoy your camper. I have had one. We have neither these days and I am giving an objective opinion. Have a nice day.
FollowupID: 802072

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 21:16

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 21:16
grrrrr......no edit when you want one:

btw, we found we could setup/pack up in half the time with a flipper.

:)
FollowupID: 802073

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 21:24

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 21:24
Hey, Steve, don;t get yer knickers in a knot!
I wasn't sayng i was unhappy with your post, just the comparison between the length of van we'd need top get tha same floor space.
Yep, you mentioned that, but I wanted to put the view of a "happy camper".

I wasn't upset at all - apologies if I gave that impression, it was not intended.
As I said, with the amount of practice we've had so far (limited by that 4 letter word "work"!) we can get set up fairly quickly and closed down fast as well. I also think we will be able to reduce the times at each end of the day with more practice.

Agree - folks and strokes, we're happy as!
FollowupID: 802075

Follow Up By: KevinE - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 21:26

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 21:26
Thanks Steve,

It's always great to hear from people who have done both & can give an objective assessment of both.

We do lots of one night stops too & it's great to hear these things from someone who has done both - flip over vs wind up. We're in a flip over.

Most of our touring is on rough dirt roads & there's no way I'd use a wind up, let alone a caravan.

FollowupID: 802076

Follow Up By: tazbaz - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 22:35

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 22:35
The wind up Jayco type is definitely easier and faster than Flip over type. Had both and seen others. Steve M1 has an opinion that would not be shared by those who have tried both.
FollowupID: 802082

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 22:35

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2013 at 22:35
I agree with Steve - I have a small Jayco offroad camper van and while relatively quick to setup to its basic configuration - maybe 20 minutes - about 30 to pack up, if I had my time again I would get a hard floor fold over (like a Cub) if primarily stopping for overnight stops.

The Jayco would be more comfortable particularly in bad weather as you can do everything inside. However a hardfloor is much quicker and easier to do a basic setup.

But you need to have what you are happy with.

Garry
FollowupID: 802083

Follow Up By: mrpotato - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 08:02

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 08:02
Hi All,

Thanks for the entertaining banter :) most of the camping I will be doing is caravan parks and on sealed roads with the family so there is no issue for me about the time it takes to setup and pack up etc..i'm used to doing it in tents so this is not an issue.

I'm still looking for an answer to the original question about sealed vs unsealed if any one can help.

Thanks
FollowupID: 802090

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 08:38

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 08:38
To answer your question...I see no reason a touring version could not be driven,
carefully, on unsealed roads. No warranty issues I am aware of...ask Jayco..
cheers.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 521412

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 09:52

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 09:52
Hi Mrp

You are doing the right thing by asking questions - well done

This is a picture I took recently on the Anne Beadell (between Laverton W.A and Coober Pedy)

This 'Highway' (translation corrugated track) is very tough on gear.

If I read your post correctly I understand that you are NOT contemplating going onto tracks/roads as 'rough' as this

I purely post the links to pics for you to see and consider

Hope to see you on the road

Cheers

K.A
AnswerID: 521415

Follow Up By: mrpotato - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:21

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:21
Hi KA,

Great photos and yes nothing like that is planned..more very short 1-2km graded dirt roads leading into camping/caravan sites.

Shame to see a van in that state but not surprised considering the road conditions!

Cheers
FollowupID: 802094

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:27

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:27
Mrp

I am full time on the road (this is my 4th year) and have travelled a LOT of dirt roads.

In my opinion the Anne Beadell was by far the toughest.

Here are my thoughts on the Anne Beadell :-))))

FollowupID: 802096

Follow Up By: mrpotato - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:45

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:45
Lucky you..i'd settle for even 3 months on the road without work getting in the way!

Nice to see a good sense of humour :)
FollowupID: 802100

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:23

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:23
We had a Jayco Dove camper for a few years It was the Outback version which had stronger suspension and more clearance than the standard version. The warranty did not cover extensive gravel road travel but we found it was fine to get into campgrounds and to travel on reasonable graded dirt roads. We certainly did not think the interior cupboards etc would stand up to corrugations!
We enjoyed the camper but found, when we began doing more touring, rather than camping in one place for a holiday, the frequent setting up was a pain. It rained too often when we were packing up! It was airy and spacious for its towing size and it was good to be totally screened when we were in fly or mozzie country and to be able to cook inside if necessary. That is why we bought it rather than a canvas camper trailer. With kids screening could be important to you. We were also nice and high off the ground away from creepy crawlies!
We now own a full height van! Lynne
AnswerID: 521425

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:34

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:34
If you are only doing a 1 or 2 km, on an unsealed road to get to a spot, there should be no issues. The campers you are talking about are no different except for having a better suspension(greater ground clearance), longer drawer bar, galvanised chassis. Many of the places I go to for my sporting events have rough entry roads and there are plenty of these on road vans there.

Drive to suit conditions.
AnswerID: 521426

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 15:33

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 15:33
I think you'll find in the smallprint for the Jayco and Coromal windups it has a disclaimer regarding taking them offroad. The Coromal one that I had certainly did in their brochure too. Can't remember the actual wording but I'm sure if you do a search for their pdf and spec sheet you will find it.

They are really nice vans but don't suit up and down with any frequency. We had one when the kids were younger and the space is great for a family. Our travelling companions had a Jayco and neither of us would go back to one beccause they are not really built for the rough stuff although if driven carefully you can do pretty well and they are certainly not as easy for set up etc.
AnswerID: 521440

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 15:38

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 15:38
I should also add that the sales bloke trotted out the usual "it'll go wherever your car will go mate" conveniently overlooking the small print. We even asked another of their sales staff and he was evasive...then we found the small print. As you said, it doesn't look like you are doing any driving that is too rugged but bear in mind if anything does break or fail and they detect dist, which gets everywhere, you might have a fight on your hands.

good luck anyway.
FollowupID: 802120

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 15:42

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 15:42
erm.. that should read "dust everywhere" not dist

and I was talking about their offroad versions in both cases
AnswerID: 521444

Sponsored Links