Photo's to DVD

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 14:03
ThreadID: 105125 Views:3001 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We've recently put some photo's (together with music) on a DVD using Windows Live Movie maker however the quality of the photo's is extremely poor.

Can anyone suggest a free or cheap program that will do this for us with better quality photo's.

Many thanks

John & Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Herbal - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 14:33

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 14:33
Have a look here - snapfiles.com - Just search for whatever ever software you want. Snapfiles hosts paid, freeware, shareware etc.

Might I suggest that you first look at what you have done. You don't give a lot of info, but I am thinking you just let the auto function do it's job. Check the settings. You might just have the bit rate set to low, or some other settings to low. Or your burn settings on the DVD burner might be out.
AnswerID: 521435

Follow Up By: Herbal - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 14:39

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 14:39
I have just had a quick look....

Instead of selecting "burn a DVD", select "for high definition display".

Your saved file can still be burnt to DVD or USB drive for play back on your TV.
FollowupID: 802113

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 14:40

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 14:40
Hi John and Helen,

There is a free download available called Proshow Gold and it is designed for just that purpose, that being a slideshow with music. I used to use it ages ago when putting together slideshows of wedding photo's for my clients and it is quite effective software. Here is a link to the download.

Proshow

When you say the quality of the photo's is extremely poor what is the original file size of your images? The only reason the quality of the images would be poor in the slideshow would be either very small original files or you have chosen to save the movie file at a lesser quality at the rendering stage of the editing process. The Proshow software comes with some pretty clear instructions and tips on how to put together an effective slideshow. Hope this helps.

Craig
AnswerID: 521436

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 14:47

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 14:47
Just to clarify, I say "free" but it is a free 30 day trial and then it's $70 to buy the software. If you will be doing this a lot it's a small price to pay but at least you get 30 days to try it out and see how you go. Good luck!
FollowupID: 802114

Reply By: Brian 01 - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 18:17

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 18:17
I use windows movie maker regularly and have never noted any deterioration of photo quality as a result of the program.
Are you sure the photos are a high enough resolution before you add them to the file?
AnswerID: 521454

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 18:23

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 18:23
Just a small note to my post above.
Many low resolution photos can look quite acceptable on the camera screen or even on the computer, but fall short once they are put up on a much larger TV monitor.
This is not the fault of the editing program, but that of the quality of the photo in the first instance.
If the photo is of poor quality to begin with, there is just about zilch that you can do to repair it that won't be evident on the big screen.
FollowupID: 802137

Follow Up By: westskip - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 19:46

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 19:46
Thanks for this information Brian. However being a non-technical senior could you tell me (a) how to check the resolution of photo's and (b) if there is any way of increasing the resolution.

At the moment I seem to be fumbling around in a fog.

Many thanks

John
FollowupID: 802151

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 20:40

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 20:40
I'll give it a try John although I'm pretty senior and a bit non technical as well. Where you first loaded the original photos, probably in "pictures" put them up in small size on your screen. Hold your mouse pointer over the photo and the details should come up similar to the attached picture. I think a good photo these days should be at least 2500mb but someone may correct me. Cheers,Bob.
FollowupID: 802154

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 22:15

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 22:15
John, I'm by no means an expert on this subject, but I can give you some tips.
I'm sure there are more qualified folks on here who can better assist you.
The resolution that you can achieve will be dependent on your camera.
Once the shot has been taken, there is nothing that we mere mortals can do to increase the number of pixels in the image, and this is what determines how good that image will look when it's blown up.
Logically, if you have only a few pixels, they will look good when crammed together on a small screen, but will necessarily be spread much thinner to fill a large screen, and so the image will become grainy.
Many cameras have the facility to alter the image size depending on whether you intend to send the pic as an email, watch it on a small screen, a big screen, or print it.
Many cameras also have the facility to reduce the number of pixels in a finished photo, but they can't increase them.
An example would be my Panasonic ZS20, I can elect to take photos at resolutions of 0.3, 3, 5, 7, 10 or 14 mega pixels.
I can then reduce them on the camera to any size that I want, plus keep the originals.
The higher the number, the better quality will be the picture, but it will also take up more room on your SD card.
With the available size of SD cards these days, that's not normally a problem.
For example, a 16GB SD card will store over 80,000 photos at 0.3Mp, around 5,000 at 5Mp, and about 2700 at 14Mp. You will get less if you take movies as well. I can also increase these numbers further by opting for a coarser picture quality setting, but I always use the fine setting.
Not too many of us take more than 2700 images before downloading to a storage device, so use settings over 7Mp if you wish to get good results on a TV screen, and go all the way if you want to print.
You can always reduce images down to 0.3Mp for posting on the web or viewing on the computer, and this can often be done on the camera or via a photo management program.
As has been stated, you will normally see the size of of the file when you download it to your computer, if it is less than 3MB it is too small to get a decent 6x4 print and only reasonably viewable on the TV.
At 0.3Mp the file size will be just a few KB, so that gives you an idea of the variance.
Going into the digital zoom region of your camera when taking distance shots will also reduce the picture quality, and the total zoom ratio is normally restricted to a lower figure on the higher MP settings. Again for example, at 14Mp I can get a maximum zoom of 80X, at 7Mp I can get 112X and at 0.3Mp it goes out to 168X, but at that zoom, the image will be very poor.
Each individual photo file size will vary with the make up of the photo, level of zoom, picture quality setting, aspect ratio, etc.
Hope this is of some assistance.
FollowupID: 802162

Follow Up By: westskip - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 22:58

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 22:58
Once again many thanks for your help Brian.

I'm starting to think that the problem may be in the burner so I'll do a biot of experimenting with it overf the next few days. The photo's are very crisp in "pictures" also very crisp when I load them into either Liove Moviemaker or Proshow Gold (which I have downloaded).

Incidentallyour camera is the same Panasonic as yours and the pictures all show a minimum of 5mb.

Thanks again

John
FollowupID: 802166

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 22:26

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 22:26
~2Mb a photo should be more than adequate for display even on a huge screen John. Anything more is probably overkill.
FollowupID: 802229

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 23:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 23:00
Try Windows Photo Story 3, you can edit transition effects, add music, add narration and we found it quite intuitive.
http://download.cnet.com/Photo-Story-3-for-Windows/3000-12511_4-10339154.html

We have photo storied all our major trips...and enjoy creating them
AnswerID: 521471

Reply By: Member - John G - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:11

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:11
G'day John & Helen

Thanks for your initial question, and to all those who provided advice and direction. Getting around to slideshows with music etc has been on my senior's 'to do' list for some time and you have all pointed me in the right direction. Very much appreciated.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 521487

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 16:18

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 16:18
Westskip

Programs such as windows live movie maker turn your photos into a standard definition movie. You will never get good quality as they will reduce the resolution of your photos.

You could get a Blu-ray burner and turn your photos into a High Definition movie. This is what I do. I also use Roxio Creator NXT rather than the windows program.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521672

Follow Up By: westskip - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 19:48

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 19:48
Thanks for this info.

At the moment my main quert would be if the photo's are burnt using a blu ray burner can they be played on a normal dvd player?

Any clues any one.

Thanks

John
FollowupID: 802431

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 20:13

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 20:13
No you would need a Blu-ray player.
I hardly ever use DVDs anymore. Blu-ray gives you a much better picture especially on a larger TV.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 802438

Reply By: HGMonaro - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 23:10

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 23:10
thought I'd replied to this Q but it seems no...

so here goes again...

A DVD can't be HD as it's resolution is not great enough. However, that doesn't mean it can't look good. If you create a movie file (mpg/avi/MP4/etc) then you can create HD (1920x1080) videos, but you'll need to burn them to Blueray or play them from a computer/USB/tablet or such device if your TV has suitable connection (i.e. USB port or HDMI connection). A 1920x1080 photo is about 2MP, so most cameras these days take much larger images. The software you're using to make the movie will be downsizing the images to suit whatever output resolution you choose. I find that you can use that excess resolution to your favour by cropping the photo's. If you're not going to be doing any 'fancy' zoom in effects, the file only needs to be that 1920x1080 pixels and since 'most people' never get close enough to their subjects, cropping the pictures can improve them immensely. Cropping to the dimensions of your intended target (in this case 16:9 TV screen) also makes sure you get the important bits in rather than having the computer decide for you. This is another task to learn, but the end result is light years better (IMO). While your cropping the pics, learn how to sharpen them for extra clarity (don't over do it!). Generally you can do this in the movie creation software I just find I get better results doing it myself.

Now to what I think I previously wrote (maybe it was on another forum!). I use Proshow as it allows a greater level of control than most other programs. This also means it's a bit harder to learn, however doing the basics is pretty straight forward.
AnswerID: 521695

Reply By: Shane L3 - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 20:48

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 20:48
let me know how you get on with it:

http://www.appgeeker.com/convert/burn-wmv-to-dvd.html

It burns just anything (video, audio, photos,subtitle) onto DVD.
AnswerID: 521795

Sponsored Links