Hire Vehicles

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 19:19
ThreadID: 105128 Views:2100 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Question ?
How many of you have been on a trip with your caravan and had a problem with your vehicle that required some 'off road' time?
Did you need a replacement vehicle to continue your trip ?
Were you able to find a hire vehicle that was able to tow your caravan to continue your trip?
How many of you do NOT have a vehicle to tow a caravan that wanted to hire one that could? did you find one ?

I am interested to know about hire vehicles that are able and authorised to tow caravans
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 20:31

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 20:31
Nrma offered me a hire car early this year to tow my van home after a timing belt came off in my car. They were prepared to find a suitable vehicle, and have it delivered to me. As I didn't have a credit card, I could not continue with the offer so the tow truck that got my car, also towed the van home. Dropped the van off at home, then the car to mechanic. I'm guessing if they were prepared to find a car suitable for towing, it would have to meet standards.
AnswerID: 521462

Follow Up By: SDG - Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 20:34

Thursday, Nov 14, 2013 at 20:34
Also found this

http://www.vistahire.com.au/Vehicles/Vehicle-Accessories/Towing

FollowupID: 802153

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 00:41

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 00:41
I've found it almost impossible to hire a vehicle fitted with a towbar. The previously-linked hire company is the only one I have ever seen, that allows towing.

Hire companies have enough trouble already with hirers destroying vehicles, with just vehicle hire, let alone allowing people to tow with them.
The number of rolled and written-off hired 4WD's that turn up in Pickles wreck yard is mind boggling.
The problem is, probably 30% of hirers can't even keep a hired 4WD vehicle upright on a straight stretch of road - let alone allowing them to tow something with the hire vehicle, as well.

Add in the hassle of 5 different hitch styles and 10 different trailer plugs - chains that aren't long enough to reach some towbar chain hitch points - incompatible lighting between trailer and vehicle - and the age-old bogey - how do you stop people from towing 4 tonnes with a vehicle rated for 3 tonnes?? - at 110kmh on a 40 degree day??

A mate said to me once - "when you're belting down the highway, thinking you're going faster than everyone else - there'll always be two types of vehicle that still pass you! - P-Platers, and Hire cars!!" [:-)
AnswerID: 521473

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:28

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 21:28
Well said Ron. AS well as all those points what chance have you got of hiring a vehicle with an electric brake controller controller fitted. Buckleys!
FollowupID: 802224

Reply By: gbc - Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 09:17

Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 at 09:17
Sargent. Used to be the old 4wdhireservice.
AnswerID: 521542

Sponsored Links