Land Cruiser front axle rebuild advice

Submitted: Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 15:07
ThreadID: 105142 Views:3161 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am restoring my 1984 HJ47 front wheel CV and hubs. When I dismantled all the parts, the existing gaskets were sealed with some sort of silicone sealant which had covered the faces of the joints and around the stud threads, cone washers, steering arm shims etc.

I had assumed that the gaskets lightly greased would provide enough of a seal as the faces of the hub and swivel housing are in good condition. This is the first time I have done a complete strip down of a Land Cruiser hub etc and my question is do I need to apply a gasket sealant to all or just some of the joining surfaces or just lightly grease.

I also read somewhere that it is a good idea to apply some oil to the felt washer at the back of the swivel hub.

Any advice much appreciated and many thanks in advance. Cheers.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 16:27

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 16:27
Kenya,

I've used Permatex Aviation no-hardening gasket sealant. It's a little sticky, enough to hold the gaskets in place, but can be easily dis-assembled. Not sure if Permatex is still going? Loctite make one anyway.

Don't know that you'd want to use silicone sealant, unless you were reusing the gaskets and they'd been damaged. Don''t think we used to put anything on the felt seal, as it would pick up sand and other abrasives too easily.

Make sure you use enough grease in the swivel joint, and 3/4 fill the hub it sits in. Also give this a grease, say 15 - 20 pumps with g/gun, every 10K clicks. The old 45's etc were a bit weak in the king pin bearings, and the cap studs, so like plenty of grease. Not fun when the uppper studs broke..............

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521508

Follow Up By: Bearded Fish - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 16:38

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 16:38
Loctite make Permatex but I think have stopped the Permatex brand.
FollowupID: 802206

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 22:10

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 22:10
Kenya - Gaskets dry out and go hard with heat, and moisture can get past them. Any good no-hardening gasket cement or RTV is highly recommended.

Also, ensure the spindle housing brass bushing is in good shape, if this is worn it will let the axle drop and place pressure on the bottom side of the seal and make it leak.

Finally, I'd recommend you use American Marlin knuckle service kit, and you won't have to worry about leaks or repairs again for a long time.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front-axle-parts/front-service-parts/service-front-hilux/knuckle-service-kit

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 521526

Follow Up By: mountainman - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 21:08

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 21:08
or LOCKTUP heavy duty swivel upgrade kit..
heavier felts, plates and inner axle seals.. 3times thicker than Toyota ever made
FollowupID: 802618

Reply By: Mikee5 - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 13:39

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 13:39
As a guess, the inner seals may have failed allowing diff oil into the hubs, then the person trying to stop the oil from leaking out resorted to the Silicone fix instead of replacing the inner seals. I only used grease on mine and it worked well. Make sure you replace the inner axle seals with good quality new ones.
AnswerID: 521827

Sponsored Links