gazebo tents

Submitted: Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:44
ThreadID: 105176 Views:5516 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All, in the market to buy a gazebo ,market type tent 3x3,some comments from people that have them, to be used for kitchen area when camping. Thanking you Friar.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Herbal - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:27

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:27
They are not very good at all in wind...They use them at markets because they are quick to erect and pack away and have square walls to give maximum area...But markets are only on if the weather is good ;)

If you get one with solid walls instead of the standard screen walls, they stand up to wind a little better. But you will need some serious ropes and pegs. I would suggest those screw in type pegs like Blu Screw...but even then you will have problems.

In my opinion, you would be better off getting a construction grade (usually brown and silver) tarp. A length of anchor rope, 4 tent poles and 6 screw pegs. Feed the rope through the centre eyelets of the tarp and tie the rope between 2 trees. Use the poles on each corner and use screw pegs to hold the whole thing in place.

Those gazebos are simply not designed for that sort of use. They do not stand up to weather like a tent does. They are intended for one day use...for a BBQ or market day etc.
AnswerID: 521648

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:43

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:43
Hi friar,

I have been using the smaller 1.8 x 1.8 Oztrail brand gazebo for a couple of years now and it has served me well. Obviously, they are not recommended to be used during high winds as it is essentially a giant sail when the canopy is on. It can however stand up quite well to moderate wind if the guy ropes are secured properly and we have used it in some fairly adverse conditions. If the wind really starts picking up and it looks like it's going to lift off just loosen the guy ropes and unfasten the canopy. You can leave the frame set up as it's fairly sturdy and won't go anywhere as long as the canopy isn't attached. If it's just a passing squall you can put it back on or take the whole thing down if it looks like the weather's setting in.

If you are using it on the beach make sure you invest in some proper sand pegs as the metal ones are useless. When packing it away make sure you try and get as much sand off of the collapsible legs as possible before packing it down. My only gripe with mine is that the small metal "buttons" that click the legs into place can become damaged over time and they don't click back out to lock into the holes on the outside of the leg sections. This can be remedied by finding something sturdy to shove into the hole to hold the leg up and you wouldn't know it was a problem. This has only happened to mine recently after a couple of years of solid use so given the cost ($120) I am happy to have gotten that much use out of it. The solid wall and mesh wall kits that are sold separately come in handy if you are wanting some extra shade or privacy.

Hope this helps!

Craig
AnswerID: 521654

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 14:06

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 14:06
Sorry that should have read 2.4 x 2.4!!
FollowupID: 802397

Reply By: Doc - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 14:04

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 14:04
I've been through a few of these over the last 5 years or so - this is my advice:

Get one with cross-bracing - from the centre of each side rail to the centre, with a pole holding up the centre of the canopy. These are much stronger and resistant to bending & deforming in the wind.

Get a canopy with in-built vents at the top - this allows the air pressure from the wind to exit the canopy, rather than making it into a sail.

Get one with a steel frame - they are heavier but much stronger than aluminium.

My current one is a Supercheap home brand, with all of the above. So far it has been strong enough to withstand the wind & rain it's been used in. We use it regularly for motor-sport. The only downside is that it is long & heavy when packed up.

AnswerID: 521663

Reply By: escapesilv - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 17:04

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 17:04
Hi Friar

We have had one for the past 5 to 6 years, its an Event 14, in the windy weather it blows around a bit, but as it is dome shaped it tends to cope better than others, we only use it when we are a reasonable group and there is plenty of room.

We find it realy good and practical.

good luck.

Rob
AnswerID: 521673

Reply By: Jos - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 17:53

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 17:53
We have the Oztrail 3x3 deluxe gazebo (the fabric on the deluxe is stronger/thicker than that on the Oztrail standard gazebo). Quick and easy to put up. Been used many times as a kitchen area - and works a treat. We usually attach a couple of sides for shade.

As for wind issues with the gazebo, we've never had any issues - but we've never camped with gale force winds. If we did, I'd think the gazebo would be only one of our potential problems.

The only issue with the gazebo is that it's heavy and bulky to transport.
AnswerID: 521676

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 18:45

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 18:45
Friar,

I have and use an Oztrail Deluxe Gazebo on some of our camping trips.
Not only is it easy to erect, but it has both peg fittings on the base of each leg and additional tie down ropes should they be required.

A group of us have sheltered under it when camping on the Nullabor during a storm.
Very sturdy and practical. It is also good for hot sunny conditions.

The only "disadvantage" for some folk is that you require roof racks to carry it. (or a trailer)
I strap ours next to the Oztent on the roof rack and have never had a problem with it.
Best erected with two people to walk outwards holding on to diagonal legs and it will open out easily utilizing the concertina style roof structure. The cover (roof) is then attached and fastened down with included straps then you can adjust the height to 3 possible settings. Side wall/s can be added for additional sun or wind protection.

I can strongly recommend the Oztrail Deluxe Gazebo as a practical solution for your stated requirements.
No messing about assembling the frame.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521682

Reply By: friar - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 21:43

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 21:43
Thank you to all that replied, looks like it will be an oztrail deluxe.Friar
AnswerID: 521690

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 21:54

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 21:54
Also in the market for one. Your many words of experience quite valuable.
Thank you from another customer!
:)
AnswerID: 521691

Reply By: Wheelie's Troopie - Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 22:32

Monday, Nov 18, 2013 at 22:32
I am using a Canopy Outdoor on for my business and must say they are very high quality and easy to erect and pull down. Not cheap but you gets what you pays for. If you look on my website wheeliegoodpizzas.com.au you will see a photo of it. They do all the art work etc and are very quick. I think I had mine in under a week. If you are going to be using it regularly then I think you need to buy quality.
AnswerID: 521694

Sponsored Links