105 series cruser or 2012 hilux diesel which to keep n which to sell

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 07:09
ThreadID: 105182 Views:2808 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys I have currently a 2002 105 series landcruiser turbo with all the fruit, I have recently inherrited a 2012 hilux SR diesel which has all the accessories as well as a chip, custom exhaust and front mount intercooler etc etc the decision now is do I keep the hilux since its new and prob better on fuel, or keep the landcruiser which has done 289000 but has never caused me any issues and I love it. What are the dual cab hiluxes like? I know if I ever have any issues with the cruiser it is relatively cheap to fix but i have heard stories about injecter issues with the d4d 3 ltr motors. I just want a comfortable car that is reliable and capable off road but unsure which would be better.
thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 07:53

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 07:53
QUOTE ["I just want a comfortable car that is reliable and capable off road"]

You have just answered your own question, but it's you personal choice.

Both are capable off road, the Hilux is still under warranty and you can get an extended warranty for another 3 years..... the injector problem is few and far between.

But it depends if you want $30,000 cash in your hand or not.

Hiluxs are just as cheap to repair as a 11 year old Landcruiser.

AnswerID: 521699

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:35

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:35
I'm no lover of landcrusers, but if it is a good sound vehicle I'd be sticking with it.

As far as 4wd station waggons are concerned, a great many people think the 105 turbo diesel is about as good as it gets....if its clean and tidy there will be blokes in a line wanting to take it off ya hands.

Yeh the D4D injector issues are real and far from uncommon...and it comes with all the common rail bagage.
I know 2 people who have had serious i$$ue$.

The only real advantage the hilux will have is fuel economy....oh and may be payload by a shade in the duel cab.

The towing capacity of the landcruser will be reasonable.....the towing capacity of the hilux like most of the later light utes will be....um...optomistic.....that said not as optomistic as some of its competitors

Try this...get someone else to drive a sit in the back of both for a hour...then tell me which is more comfortable

In the past hiluxes used to be one of the cheapest 4wds to own and run...all that changed with the common rail diesel

Go the landcruser.

cheers
AnswerID: 521703

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:59

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 09:59
You can't compare a ute vs a wagon like the cruiser so you keep the wagon unless you have a need for a ute over a wagon. In my family we have both, 2 different horses but the cruiser is more the family wagon go anywhere, the Hilux is not as comfortable but has it's purpose.
AnswerID: 521705

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:02

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:02
Forgot to mention on the injector issue prices have dropped dramatically, injectors can be bought now for around $390 as I just priced some for a friend. Whilst replacing them with labour is a near $2000 job it's not the $4000 it used to be. The newer injectors are diamond tipped and promise to be more robust is what I am told.
FollowupID: 802475

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:52

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:52
Diamond Tipped??????

Do they cluster the diamonds and spray fuel between the gaps pr do they DRILL HOLES in the diamond and spray through the holes?

It will be very interesting to hear about diamond tipped injectors and how they are made with diamond tips.

Sounds impressive. Now every girl will love your injectors.
FollowupID: 802482

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 13:12

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 13:12
Gday Ross
It's called "DLC" diamond like coating.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 802492

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 14:10

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 14:10
Thanks Muzbry for assisting Ross. I detected some sarcasm so it's always nice when someone else knows what they are talking about..! LOL
FollowupID: 802500

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 18:06

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 18:06
Keep up, Ross! - I know it gets harder and harder for us oldies to keep abreast of developments! - technology moves faster and faster every year! [;-)

DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coatings have been in use for at least 10 yrs and are appearing everywhere in new engine designs.

PVD (Physical Vapour Deposition) and PACVD (Plasma-Assisted Chemical Vapour Deposition) processes are crucial to the design of most high tech stuff today - and play a big part in reducing wear and providing substantial increases in durability.

The processes and materials can be used to greatly improve the durability of current design components as well, that are under extreme stress. The uses of these coatings range from machine tools right through to earthmoving machinery components, and vehicle engines.

Here's one crowds write-up on their processes, the materials they can coat with, and the actual uses.
It's fascinating stuff, heavy reading, and often a little overwhelming.

Coated components - greater performance and reliability

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 802523

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 18:40

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 18:40
Wow Ron it certainly looks like the future, coatings to increase durability, performance and anti-friction etc. With Common Rail injectors failing it's hard to get a straight answer on the cause, some mechanics say they carbon up, other say fuel issues, water etc. Can't beat the old mechanical injectors as you can service them easily and affordably but common rail delivers a better combustion.
FollowupID: 802529

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:54

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:54
Terra Firma - Without a doubt, water and contaminants in the fuel are the biggest single cause of diesel fuel injection troubles.
With the extremely high pressures of injection with common rail, any problems with previous injection designs are magnified.

I also strongly suspect that Toyota dropped the ball on the quality of their injectors on their common rail diesels, in the period from around 2002 to 2008.

When Toyota went ahead with their greatly increased production levels in this period, they put production numbers in front of quality levels.

To meet vastly increased production targets, many outside suppliers were tasked with ever-increasing numbers of components supplies, and with this vastly-increased number of components required (and probably new suppliers as well), QC got left behind in the rush.

Toyota have admitted this, in a statement and apology by the CEO of Toyota, and they have set about lifting their game, back to the normally-high level of quality we always expected from Toyota.

Yes, common rail delivers a great result in efficient fuel burn, along with the staggered injection of electronic injectors - however, if you do not have fuel that is sparkly-clean, and which meets the tighter parameters of the common rail injection, then you will definitely develop serious injection problems with CR in a very short space of time.

I firmly believe that the high CR injection demands require some additional lube added to the fuel, and additional filters in the fuel line. Neither of these are a big investment as compared to the cost of a CR injection system failure or damage.
FollowupID: 802563

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:29

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:29
I think you will find both are reliable and capable off road. Have you taken both for a drive over a rough rutted section of track? Not hard core 4WD stuff? Which is the more comfortable?
Do you tow anything of significant size? Caravan, boat, horse float. I think you will find the Cruiser has a 3500 kg tow rating and the Hilux 2500 kg. The newer Hilux I am given to understand from 2014 onwards has been increased to 3000 kg.

Horses for courses. What a delightful decision to have to make.

Me personally? I would go for the Cruiser in a heart beat but that's just me.

289,000 k's, pfttt just run in (;=))

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 521707

Follow Up By: jacent - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 18:42

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 18:42
It's a very hard decision to have to make, the cruiser is in very good condition and drives as new, I've spent around 15g in accessories over five years with the intention to drive it forever and the hilux appeared but has been heavily modified with around 50g worth of gear added to make more robust, I never regret decisions but selling either could be my first!
FollowupID: 802530

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:33

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:33
Jacent, you're comparing apples to oranges. The 'Cruiser is a full size 4WD with a lot of weight to drag around, and a motor nearly 40% bigger. The Hilux is 2/3rds the size, in interior room, towing ability and engine size.
"Do I need to downsize?", is the real question you're asking yourself.
The Hilux injector problems should be largely solved with the 2012 model, it was the period between about 2002 and 2008 when all the injector problems appeared.

If you can sell an 11 yr old vehicle with nearly 300,000km on the clock and get top money for it, why wouldn't you quit it?
In 5 yrs time, it will be worth very little compared to what you can get for it now.
It's all about the cost of your motoring on an annual basis. You must be way in front with the 'Cruiser by now.

If I was offered the chance of a low km vehicle around 15 or 18mths old, as compared to a 300,000km vehicle, I know what I'd take.
The one with 300,000kms on it has the best of its life behind it.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 521716

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 17:24

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 17:24
Jacent

I have driven both vehicles you have mentioned.

The important consideration is which will suit your needs - a wagon or a twin cab.

The cruiser is roomier.

The Hi-lux more economical

As for the injector problems that goes with all modern diesels if they get bad fuel. I have heard of it costing $11,000 for a hilux.

I recently sold my 2000 Patrol and got a new Amarok. I had the same thoughts about bad fuel. I was told is to change the fuel filter every time you get a service. Costs a bit more but is cheap compared to the repairs.

Another consideration is are you towing. I haven't checked but I would presume the cruiser would have more torque and a higher tow rating.

Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521723

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 17:25

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 17:25
Jacent

Forgot to add that the cruiser due to its age and mileage has already depreciated a lot. The depreciation on the Hi-lux will be a lot more.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 802522

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 18:28

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 18:28
But with low depreciation levels, there comes a substantial increase in maintenance & repair costs.

The Americans have an excellent system of determining where your most economic level of ownership ends.

They say simply, that when your maintenance & repair costs are exceeding your depreciation losses, it's time to sell the item.
AnswerID: 521728

Reply By: jacent - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 18:35

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2013 at 18:35
Thanks a lot for everyone's replies! I mentioned the injectors price as I had all six replaced and valve clearances done on the 105 when it got the turbo at 220,000 for under a grand so thought that was pretty reasonable compared to the reported 2-3grand for the hilux! I recently sold my caravan and only tow a 10x5 tandem occasionally but knowing me I would prob end up with another van in the next ten years, or possibly a big boat, the cruiser is rated to 3500kg n hilux 2500 I think, I've had two vans but none exceeded 2500kg. I don't really need to down size either. It's not our sole family car as we have a ve calais n don't have kids yet either, the cruiser still has the original clutch, gearbox, motor etc and I have done quite a bit of towing with it so was thinking there might be money to be spent in the next 150,000 if I keep it. I'm picking up the hilux Friday and will drive it home 1000km so should be a good time to think!
AnswerID: 521729

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 13:53

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 13:53
jacent I owned a dual cab Hilux for 6 years from new until the start of this year and they are a very good versatile vehicle and would happily purchase one again. As others have said they are both different purpose vehicles so difficult to compare. I would say after you have driven it the 1000k the decision will be a lot easier as to what suits you best.
Good luck with it
FollowupID: 802566

Follow Up By: mikerosenkids - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 21:51

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 21:51
Hi jacent
just a thought sell both and get a newer (_______________)insert car of choice patrol cruiser vw bt or what ever
You sound a bit like me not happy with standard so you can start to modify and tinker with the low km current shape.
Personally I would be looking at a 200 series Cruiser as an upgrade

Cheers Michael
FollowupID: 802627

Follow Up By: jacent - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 02:30

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 02:30
So the thinking is to sell the cruiser, the hilux is new, only just clicked over 1500km, I feel the cruiser would be a more hard core 4by but I guess I need to look at practicality and long term and with $53000 of accessories the hilux is very tempting. So I worked out I have around $22ooo new price, worth of accessories on the cruiser obviously not worth that now but do ppl sell their car with everything fitted or remove things like winches and sell separately?
FollowupID: 802974

Sponsored Links