Advice regarding Gumtree for new Discovery 4 wheels

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 16:34
ThreadID: 105198 Views:3416 Replies:10 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I am searching for replacement wheels and tyres for my Discovery 4, trying to get 17" wheels for better off-road performance for our big trip next year. I've found a set in WA on Gumtree. Just wondering if anyone has used Gumtree to buy a large item from interstate.

I'm Victoria and wondered how I would go about paying for them. I'm reluctant to send a bank deposit to a private individual but not sure how to complete the transaction any other way.

Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers Jeannie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 16:49

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 16:49
Paypal is one method. There may well be others but we have found over the years that Paypal used as an intermediary is excellent. The quota after my name is a direct quote from the "hints" section in Gumtree:

Phil.

What are the payment methods?

Solution
You can use PayPal to purchase paid features on Gumtree:

Paying by PayPal allows you to pay directly with money from your bank account or credit card. PayPal uses the best commercially-available encryption technology to ensure that your financial information is never shared. Note: to make a payment via your bank account you must first be registered with PayPal to do this go to PayPal and click the "Sign Up" link at the top of the page.
AnswerID: 521773

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 16:57

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 16:57
The priviate individual must have a Paypal linked bank accouint as well, no link no transfer ie must have signed up to Paypal.

To me, Paypal has a good workable resolution procedure if problems arise.

Some credit cards have some form of " If problems will return your money", I would also register the item and have the purchaser sign off that he/she received it.

Peter
FollowupID: 802583

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:09

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:09
Very true Peter. And I would trust Paypal before any credit card so called "promise".

Phil
FollowupID: 802586

Reply By: Member - peter w2 (VIC) - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 16:50

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 16:50
I always use paypal for security
AnswerID: 521774

Reply By: Herbal - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:16

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:16
My main beef with eBay and Paypal is that they have credit card as a "compulsory" payment method...

Gumtree is now owned by eBay and eBay also owns Paypal.

The thing I don't like is the fact that a buyer can at will file for a "charge back". This makes credit card the most dangerous payment method there is...for the seller!

Tell the seller that you want to pay via Paypal or some other merchant (credit card) method. For a charge back to be valid, it needs to be direct - ie not a cash advance - it needs to be direct to the seller. That way if the item is not what you expected or not delivered etc, you can file for a charge back...Obviously you need a credit card :)

Oh, and BTW, credit card is also the absolutely most dangerous payment method for the buyer too !!! ... No PIN or ID or signature or anything else needed - just the card number... and every flee and his dog is carring a HD camera in their mobile phone these days...Is he (or she) really checking a message or taking a photo of your card???.

Rant over --- You can do a COD through Aust Post. They will delivery the item to you and collect payment. They then pass the payment to the seller. They do charge a fee. The only draw back is that you cannot check the item before you pay. You can check their fees etc on the Australia Post web site.
AnswerID: 521779

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:22

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:22
Hi Herbal
I was under the impression you must have a credit card listed as a method of payment, but not the compulsory method.
We have ours set up for a bank savings account debit that works fine.
I may be wrong but I was told the bankcard is a backup in case the bank account has insufficient funds.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 802588

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:33

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:33
Yep I operate Paypal that way as well Ian. It's probably interesting to note that Ebay's acquisition of Gumtree occurred not recently but way back in 2005 so the eBay group have actually owned it for more than 8 years. They bought Paypal even earlier in 2002.

I've always found paypal easy to deal with and they were most helpful when Queen Vik had a dispute over an item that didn't arrive. Full refund and postage as well (dodgy dealer mind you).

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 802591

Follow Up By: Herbal - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:50

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:50
Yep, that is the impression they like to give ;)

What they mean by "safer payment options" is credit card...Rather than the buyer giving card details direct to the seller, they get the details and payment, then pass it on to the seller...

I assure you, you cannot list an item for sale on eBay with out accepting credit card as a payment option!

I could go on for hours...But the OP has asked how to buy on Gumtree.

There is a SAFER option... Australia Post offer a money collection service... That is AP will deliver the item and collect payment from the buyer when delivered. They then give the payment to the seller. They do charge a fee for this service and the buyer (or receiver) pays that fee.
FollowupID: 802598

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:47

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:47
You can do the same "charge back" thing with the banks. My wife got a refund from a seller by contacting the bank. Same as Paypal. At least Paypal will listen to both sides. We have had issues with some sellere and Paypal has helped us in each case. But you have to get your story exactly right and keep all paperwork. My wife prints all of it and that is where the seller came unstuck.

Phil
FollowupID: 802609

Reply By: landseka - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:23

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:23
You may be able to get a local in WA, me for instance if nearby, to inspect the goods on your behalf to ensure it is as described.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 521781

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:55

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:55
Jeannie - If you're buying from interstate on Gumtree, you're virtually taking a punt.
You can't inspect the item, so you have to rely on photos and the sellers word.

I've bought 3 items off Gumtree from interstate, and worked on writing off the money if the seller didn't come good.
In all cases, the sellers were honest and the deal was successful. The amounts involved were between $50 and $250.

I made sure I contacted the person by both phone and email and spoke to them at length to get a feel for their character.
Not a 100% way of ensuring someone is honest, but it all helps.

I then got all their personal contact details (and gave them mine), and I also got their bank account details, so I could transfer the funds.
If someone is happy enough to send you their bank details, that's another indicator of a degree of trustworthiness.

I then cross-checked their personal info on the 'net to ensure that I was dealing with someone who were who they said they were. 98% of people have left a trail on the 'net. You can use this following site to find that trail.

http://www.matespotter.com/

Note, that finding a record of a person on the 'net is not 100% guarantee that they're honest - but you'll often find signs in internet records that possibly indicate a person has been dishonest.

If the purchase is over $250, you're better advised to send a friend/family member to suss out the offer.
If it's a serious amount, fly there in person and inspect it personally.

Sellers suburbs are often a good indicator of trustworthiness, but not always. There's at least 4 suburbs here in Perth I wouldn't trust anyone in! However, sellers can list a different suburb to where they live, too (see "cross checks").
This might be O.K., if the seller has the item located at another address.
However, I list my home address as my suburb on Gumtree - but I let people know in the ad, if the item I'm selling is located at my workshop, which is 4 kms away in another suburb.

If I sell anything on Gumtree to an interstate seller, I let them know my eBay username, so they can check out my eBay feedback to guarantee my honesty.
You could ask the seller if they sell on eBay and request their username to check on their selling record.

Many hobby sellers have left eBay and gone over to Gumtree, because eBay only wants large-volume sellers of new products for its clients, and their fees are too high, anyway.

PayPal is O.K., but many people aren't interested in dealing or registering with PayPal, because PayPal fees are always sneaky and sizeable.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 521783

Follow Up By: Herbal - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:17

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:17
I just tried that matespotter site to search for me...

It returned 62 people with my name...and not one of them was me!

Mind you, there are several high fliers (including a couple of PTY LTD listings) with my name....and none of them are me either :)

FollowupID: 802602

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:36

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:36
Jeez, you never told us your real name was John Smith, Herbal! LOL

Yep, it's not a perfect method by any means, but it's just another tool to use when you're trying to determine if someone is trying to scam you with fictitious info.

The thing is, you leave a trail all over the 'net, and you can also use Google search to check on email addresses, and also search for "similar images" of items for sale.

Most scammers soon give themselves away with "urgent" or "quickly" constantly repeated in their messages, and they often won't speak on the phone, or give out a contact phone number that's not in their name.

The problem with a small number of sellers, is they're not actually scammers - but you have to deal with those few, that are hopeless about doing what they say they will do, or hopeless with money.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 802608

Follow Up By: Herbal - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 19:28

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 19:28
It is really Smythe... I only use Smith on the interweb... Don't tell anyone :)

I just did a google search of my email... same email I have had for about 8 years now (maybe 7 years)...zilch. Closest match is some dress shop in Byron Bay...and I have never been to Byron Bay there are to many hippies there :)

Actually, I just thought of a way to find me... Reverse phone look up - http://www.reverseaustralia.com/

You have the sellers phone number cos it's Gumtree and you have phoned them (and if you have not, you should not be buying the item ! ) So simply do a reverse phone number look up to check if details given match details registered for that number :)

... Now all you need is my number - 044******* ... Did you see that? My number got changed to ******* ;)
FollowupID: 802611

Reply By: Shany - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:59

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:59
Really don't want to rain on your parade! just beware of scams, gumtree is full of them, even tho it's pretty much a hassle, the only way I would be doing a transaction when there is large sum of money involved is face to face, fly over and have a shakedown trip on the way back, that way you won't get ripped off and you get a short holiday on the way back! that is if time allows, good luck
AnswerID: 521785

Follow Up By: Shany - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:04

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 18:04
Thats if it is a large item - of coarse
FollowupID: 802600

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 19:47

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 19:47
I use something similar to the "Ron N" method.
If I really want the item......and the seller seems trustworthy from my communications....and doesn't have a gmail or Hotmail address.... and if the value of the item won't break the bank if it ended up being a scam...and if the seller has a decent rating on an aussie forum.... yep I'll take the risk. I'll so the right thing - either send the goods or arrange the freight and hope for the best. In my limited experience I haven't been stung....but if I do get stung I'll put it down to experience.
AnswerID: 521790

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:23

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:23
Jeannie - I can probably assist you, if the wheels aren't too far from Perth central.
Email me, and I'll give you further contact details. ronash13 (at) iinet.net.au (replace the 'at' with the @ symbol).

However, keep in mind that the transport cost for wheels is high, because they're bulky - and it's 3500kms from Perth to Melbourne.
Loads are calculated on weight or cubic measure. Bulky items such as wheels are costed on cubic measure for transport.

The cubic measure is 333kgs per cubic metre, so your wheel transport costs will be calculated on that basis.
You'd probably be looking at around one cubic metre for 4 wheels. This means you'll be paying for 333kgs on a weight basis for 4 wheels.
You need to get a firm transport price set before you proceed with the purchase. I can more than likely assist with transport and strapping.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 521819

Reply By: garrycol - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:38

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:38
I hope you are looking to put these wheels on a 2.7 D4 and not a 3.0 D4 as 17s will not go on a 3.0.

Garry
AnswerID: 521821

Follow Up By: Member - Magic (VIC) - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 07:45

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 07:45
Thanks for your input Garry. I'm aware of the restrictions.
FollowupID: 802750

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:13

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:13
I recently bought a boat from out west, sight unseen.
I got quote from a local cartage mob to help, then agreed with the seller that he'd have to get the boat to them. I transferred the funds to the cartage mob, and the nice lady transferred the funds to him (with a little handling fee off the top of course) once she confirmed it looked somewhat like a boat. I had heaps of photos sent through before hand from the seller, so unless he was hiding something I knew what I was getting.
In your case, I'd sort out transport first and do a deal with them to have a quick squiz before sending them on.
I find if you are straight up, speak English, give proper contact details, name etc during the initial encounter with the seller, you can soon sort out what their motivation is. Likewise when I am selling something, I general just want it gone and price it accordingly. If a human contacts me with a name and a proper question I'll reply. One liners from freaks and 'offshore oil workers' get short shifted unless I'm really bored or drinking.....
AnswerID: 521823

Follow Up By: gbc - Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:14

Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:14
Sorry, I buggered that up - I transferred the funds to his account once the lady in the yard had confirmed they had it....
FollowupID: 802693

Sponsored Links