SatNav recommendations

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 20, 2013 at 17:35
ThreadID: 105199 Views:1875 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just had a look at updating the maps in the factory SatNav in my 2008 GU Patrol Ti. The factory unit is a VDO Dayton which uses whereis MS5200 maps on an SD card. The price of the new maps on the whereis website is $199.00, at that price, prompting the question of what other SatNav units are out there.

The current SatNav has a screen of approx. 7 inches which is a nice size, so if there is anything out on the market this size, it would be nice. It also has the factory rear view camera, which I would like to keep compatible with the new SatNav unit of possible. I would plan on pulling out the old unit and replacing it with the new unit, depending on how easy it is to get the old unit out.

The unit would be mainly used for on-road use, as I use my tablet with OziExplorer on it for off-road mapping (but off road mapping in the unit would be a bonus). I do like using the map in 2D view zoomed out on long country runs, so would like a unit that has reasonable detail (e.g. upcoming town names etc.) at that zoom level. Also the usual Turn-by-Turn navigation. I know a number of devices now how Lifetime Maps, so this would also be a handy feature.

Does anyone have any recommendations of units that would fit my criteria?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jacent - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 17:12

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 17:12
Vms 7506 $ 1995 does absolutely everything, is plug n play so no wiring to do just clip it in, can still use all wheel controls, allows two reverse cameras, car n van, Bluetooth, cd, DVD, digital radio, iPod, USB, can hook it up to the rear screens and play DVD for kids while you listen to radio and navigate, uses where is maps and itopo, Gregory's and mud map off road, I'm looking at getting the Toyota compatible one for my hilux, expensive but its the best in dash around, Toyota want to charge me $1600 plus $300 for a camera for just an on road one supply. You can buy cheap o ones on eBay but who knows what they are like, they are about $600 cheers
AnswerID: 522083

Reply By: jacent - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 17:15

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 17:15
Also they have speed and red light camera alerts, turn by turn nav, can choos your route, zoom in out etc check out the vms website
AnswerID: 522084

Sponsored Links