Plastidip Glossifier to protect from bush pinstriping

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 21, 2013 at 22:52
ThreadID: 105216 Views:3458 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

I bought some Meguiars Ultimate Compound today to get some fine bush pinstriping out of the Cruiser. The guy in the auto store recommended a product called Plastidip Glossifier to spray on the areas most susceptible to scratches before a trip to prevent it happening in the first place. It peels off once you're done which is similar to some other products out there. I spent a bit of $$ today in the auto store getting some spares for an upcoming trip so he threw a can in for me to try. Can't see much info online for it being used for this purpose but according to him it's the ducks nuts. Seeing he gave the can to me for free it wasn't a hard sell but just wondering if anyone else has heard of this?

Thanks

Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 07:32

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 07:32
G'day Cruiser74

Type in " Plastidip " in youtube and you will see videos of blokes spraying a whole car and others doing wheels and front grills etc

Cheers

Gazz

AnswerID: 521876

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 08:21

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 08:21
Hi Craig

Firstly I have never seen the product, but I would be very careful. The first thing is the very important thing, coverage, and to be honest, you would have to give your vehicle countless coats to get a good thick skin on the side of your vehicle to make it work. The product below, I give it 4 coats with a roller and we never ever gets scratches any more, and when home, wet the car and it peels off like glad wrap.

As you would know, the pin striping on any vehicle is a good sign that the vehicle has been used for what it was made for. To have an effective shield on the side of your vehicle, it must be thick and good.

Have a look at this blog I did about a tried and proven product, now distributed by Protect It.

Protect It.....yes it does work

Since using this product, it does a fantastic job of saving your paintwork and I personally know that it does work. Some of the places that we have been and the sound of branches scraping along side of your vehicle make you shiver, but it does what it does, save your paintwork.

This picture below showed how it copes with the real heavy going. A large branch scraped along the side of the car, I thought it was going to puncture the real tyre, but ended up peeling a little of the auto skin.

Do your homework and get a product that will save your vehicle.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 521881

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 08:46

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 08:46
Hi Craig

I also should have said that i would have thought that only 1 can would do very little of your car, as I use a minimum of 1 litre just for the sides of my car, compared to how many grams in the can.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802752

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:04

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:04
hi Stephen
interesting stuff but yoursaid just wet the vehicle down when you get home and it peels off
so if you encounter a storm and/or a quantity of rain during your bush excursion will it just peel off or do you have to actually start the process
will it dry off and remain on in this scenario
or is it all over red rover -caput
keen to know
cheers barry
FollowupID: 802759

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:43

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:43
Barry,
On a recent trip using the same stuff as Stephen though only 2 coats, first night out with the product only applied for 2 days had a fair storm. The Protect It went milky again but stayed on.
On the return trip with the product now on for a few weeks had another storm that had no affect.
I had a bit more trouble removing the skin than Stephen obviously did. The High pressure washer made light work though.maybe the secret is in the extra couple of coats.
Having used this once will certainly continue even if there is a risk of it washing off.
Hope this helps.
Mike.
FollowupID: 802766

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 14:37

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 14:37
Thanks Stephen,

Yes the protect it looks like the way to go. The guy at the auto store did say it would take about 5 cans to do the whole car. He threw a can in for free for me to try on my next trip but said it would probably only do one side adequately. Probably hoping I'd come back for more so he obviously rates it but at $25 a can and how often I would need to use it I may as well just let the bush have its way with my car and get a respray for that sort of cash!
FollowupID: 802772

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 14:45

Friday, Nov 22, 2013 at 14:45
Hi Mike and Barry

Just wet the stuff and peel it off.......well you have to actually scratch it at a leading edge. Even if you goes through a thunder storm, it does not come off.

On one of my trips returning home after being bush, we were in some very heavy rain for over 2 hours. I was hoping that it was going to be that wet, it was going to blow off while driving along......no such luck, yes it went a real milky colour, but stayed in place.

Mike I have found from past mistakes that the most important coat is the first. Do not make it thin, but thick, then build the following coats up. Make sure that the previous coat is quite dry before applying the next.

One point that I did not mention, it it must be cured for at least 4 days before putting it to work.

Those that have never used the gear before will be the sceptics, while those like me that know just how great the product will never go bush with using it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802773

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 11:23

Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 11:23
How long can you leave the stuff on for?? 3 to 6 months would be good !!
FollowupID: 802842

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 13:48

Saturday, Nov 23, 2013 at 13:48
Hi Gronk

I am not sure to be honest, as the longest time that I have ever had it on in a month.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 802858

Sponsored Links