Air bags in seats

Submitted: Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 14:13
ThreadID: 105254 Views:1933 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Need to remove the front seats in my Pajero which has an air bag built into them. Can I just disconnect the wiring, or is there some computer/safety issue that needs to be dealt with as well?
Just been cleaning the car out out, and found a fresh shedded snake skin in it, so basically pulling the car apart to find the little darling.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 14:17

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 14:17
I would suggest you 1st disconnect the battery, then 2nd turn on the lights.
The purpose being to get rid of any residual current in the system.
3rd Disconnect the wiring to the airbags.
4th Hope like hell it all goes well.
5th If it doesn't ... them don't blame me ... ;o)
AnswerID: 522078

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 14:26

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 14:26
The usual time delay in working on airbags according to BMW is 20 minutes after battery disconnection, but lights on may speed it up.
I did it several times and I am still here , sorta.
Regards Philip A
FollowupID: 802995

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 15:53

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 15:53
Not sure the lights will alter things as they are a different circuit to the ECU and Bag system. I would switch on something that is directly connected to the same items as the airbag and ecu is connected to.

Perhaps with the fuse removed the ecu side of the fuse pins can be connected to neg to eliminate any residual in capacitors.
FollowupID: 803004

Follow Up By: Jarse - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 19:46

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 19:46
Correct, Ross. Each airbag unit has its own means of power storage (fed by the battery) so that they function independent of the battery, should it be disconnected in a collision. Disconnecting the battery and turning on a load such as headlights won't disarm the airbags any quicker than just disconnecting the battery, as they already have stored power. Hence the manufacturer's recommendation to disconnect the battery and wait x minutes for the stored power to deplete.
FollowupID: 803029

Reply By: allein m - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 15:44

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 15:44
did a gooogle search and found this

OK. I dropped a lovely gold Pen down the side of the seat and couldnt remove it. I then dragged both front seats out carefully disconecting the SRS connector and butt in seat detector. No heated seats or fancy electronics in my humble GLS.

I shampoo'd the carpets and vaccuum'd the carpet. Even deodourised!

After tipping the kids off the seats that were comfortably located in the driveway during this operation I put them back in the car and reconected everything. But...I now enjoy a red light on the dash indicating the air bag system has an issue.

I called my trusty MM dealership and explained what had occurred. Apparently it isnt a good idea to start the car with the seats out. I only did it to charge the battery cause I was worried the battery would go flat during my detailing with the stereo pumping out One Direction for the kids parked in the driveway on the seats.

Turns out that the SRS light will come on and wont extinguish without the aid of a MM computery thingy IF you turn on the ignition with an airbag disconected. The Scanguage doesnt read those codes.

So off to MM this afternoon to get the bug sorted. Apparently it is a 5 minute job - more of an annoyance than anything else (I hope)

As for the Pajero, it shines like a beacon on a cold and dark night such is the detailing it has received including three coats of Maguires on the bonnet. Camry's just lide off the front without leaving a mark. It smells nice too and I found $3.40 in change under the seats!

I shal confirm the light is out shortly

in the end the dealer removed the error code light is out
AnswerID: 522080

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 17:18

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 17:18
My 94yo uncle had mice in his car. Tried traps and baits to no avail.

Finally in desperation, he fitted a hose to the exhaust and put it through a partially open window.

No, don't get ahead of me, he lived to 100 years. The hose was for the darling little mice.

Did the job fine..... no more mice.

But it did cost him big $ for the local mechanic to pull the air-conditioner apart to remove the unbearable smelly dead mice.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522085

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 17:22

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 17:22
Second story...........

I had a Blue-tongue get loose in my boot. Don't ask, it's a long story.
It managed to climb up via the 'C' pillar into the roof.
Had to remove the trim around the door opening and peel off the head lining to get it out!

We do have trouble with cars and wildlife in my family.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 803011

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 22:43

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 22:43
Went down to the beach yesterday for some fishing and soon after we arrived a frog started croaking under the LC. Sounded like it was on top of the gearbox. Drove from Bundy to Gladstone and back today, it croaked in Gladstone and again when I got home.
FollowupID: 803047

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:51

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:51
You'd think the heat from the gearbox would make it croak....
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803054

Reply By: SDG - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 21:17

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 21:17
Found the little darling. A juvinile brown. Did not need to pull out front seats. It was in the rear dicky seat.
Thanks for the replies.
AnswerID: 522158

Sponsored Links