Wanted - Roof top tent info with a twist....

Hi Folks

If it was easy I wouldnt be asking :-)

I'm a HUGE lover of the SWAG. We have a nice queen size one that we stick inside a fly dome to keep the mozzies and flies out. My only issue is the SWAG is a beast as it has a thick mattress we got from Clark Rubber. The SWAG on the roof is big, I have lots of room however I'd like to put something up there that makes it easier to use rather than the struggling to roll it up all the time :-)

I've been looking around for a roof top tent that has a mesh roof on it rather than a fixed fly. Living out in the Alice and camping, we get sun 360 days per year and it would be a total shame not to sleep under the stars.

Do any of the roof top tents have a removeable fly or do I need to go build a platform myself ?

Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony F8 - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 19:22

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 19:22
Just stay true to the swag, will a roof top tent take up less room than a swag and a tourer tent no, can u go for an explore in the vehicle without packing it up, no, I'm going to cop some flak on this, but what benefit do they really have, wait till you here of someone missing the ladder while getting down from one, lawyers field day
AnswerID: 522090

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 19:40

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 19:40
You are corect with one point. set up - go for drive - return to camp. A roof top has a nasty habit of sticking with the car. So way take a small tent as well. Fits in an green woolies bag.

But after seeing what a double swag looks like surely you jest about the space. Ours packed up measures 1.2 x 1.6 x 250mm and nearky fits under the garage door.

Phil
FollowupID: 803028

Reply By: graham B9 - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 19:46

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 19:46
Hi Pete,

I take it you wanty a roof top tent that when laying in bed you can see the stars or do you jsut want one that has a removable fly? The fly being an additional covering above the canvas part of the tent.

Generally all have a removable fly. Hannibal and Howling moon being the 2 best brands. Both are made in South Africa by little black people being paid almost nothing but putting this aside, they are good products. You can get a chinese one, yes made in china by people not so dark but also getting paid almost nothing. Chinese ones are generally C--P. Tigers 11 etc.

Howling moon make a star gazer that has a section in the roof that allows you to see the stars.

If you are seeking a roof top tent that does not have canvas but heavy duty fly screen / meshtex / super screen etc, there is not one available. Someone will make one for you but it would cost. You could buy a canvas one and then glue Meshtex ontop and cutaway the canvas but this would it tricky on wet nights.
AnswerID: 522092

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 20:22

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 20:22
Why not replace your bulky mattress with another one from Clark Rubber, this time one as thin as 50mm but with a high density egg crate style foam.

My Swag came with this type of mattress and is comfortable to lay on and easy to roll up.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522095

Follow Up By: Sandman - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:31

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:31
Thanks for all the feedback guys....We love our swag to bits, I will probably get a big canvas duffle bag made up to put it in...

Camping out in the Alice is just mad, there is no way I'd ever want to sleep in a tent (unless its peeing down)...and if it was, I'd stay at home and pick one of the other 360 days without rain :-)

Pete in the Alice :-)
FollowupID: 803039

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:38

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:38
Sand Man (SA) beat me to it. A thinner higher density foam would roll up smaller. I don't think a roof top tent is really going to be any better all round.
FollowupID: 803040

Follow Up By: Sandman - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:47

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:47
Steve M1

This mattress is to die for.... :-) The Clark Rubber in Alice doesnt have the variety the bigger stores do..next time I'm in Adelaide or Darwin I might go see again... then again I'm not planning to go there soon, too much fun to be had elsewhere....

Darn there is no Clark Rubber in Esperence :-(
FollowupID: 803043

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 00:44

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 00:44
Hi Pete

Have you thought about trying to source a second hand/damaged rooftop tent and having a new Midge mesh cover made for it?

You could keep the nylon fly for it if it rains lightly and take it off for the night time views?

People do damage the canvas on them!

Just a thought.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 522112

Follow Up By: Sandman - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 09:15

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 09:15
Anthony

Thats actually a good idea... We have a canvas guy in town that could sew up a dome for me using mesh....

need to go hunting :-)

Pete
FollowupID: 803056

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 22:22

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 22:22
Hi Pete

Just wondering if you were still chasing a damaged roof top tent to convert.

I know where there may be a couple in WA.

If you are ale to MM me or post a contact, I will get the details to you.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 803654

Reply By: Tony F8 - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:20

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:20
If you google mrswagman.com.au and look at his swag bags, they are a nifty item and not expensive
AnswerID: 522119

Sponsored Links