4x4 GPS Navigation 2013

I know this topic has been brought up in the past but I can't seem to find any new threads that outline a great all round navigation unit for 2013 seeing technology is moving so fast!
Ideally I would love a hand held model that I can use both in and out of vehicle providing there's one that you can plug into some form of screen or tablet (love a large screen) but if not I am happy to settle for an in-car unit with great capabilities, ease of use and again large screen format?? Thanks in advance!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 20:17

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 20:17
The shop has a GPS receiver that connects to a USB port which is OK for a PC.
GlobalSat BU-353S4 Mouse

A tablet however does not have any input ports and the best solution is to buy one with a built-in GPS.

In either case, you will then need to purchase and install navigation software and digital maps. There are several options including OziExplorer (an Android OS version is available) and the EOTopo maps are a good choice.

Hema also put out a tracking application and of course their own maps.

Alternatively, you can purchase a Hema Navigator 6 which has both off-road (OziExplorer and Hema Maps) and a voice guided street navigation application. (iGo)
This is a great all round product and there is no installation required. It's ready to go out of the box.

Other folk may offer different solutions as there is a few other alternatives (eg TrackRanger) , but I have no personal experience with these.

OziExplorer in all it's guises is a very good navigation application with the ability to record tracks and waypoint data for features and locations you might like to save for future reference.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522094

Reply By: Member - johnat - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 20:29

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 20:29
"A tablet however does not have any input ports and the best solution is to buy one with a built-in GPS." - Huh?? most android tablets have a mini (or micro) USB input port.
You may have been seduced into thinking that iThings are the ONLY tablet around, but that's so very far from the reality that it almost defies belief.

Ozi is available for Microshaft as well as Android platforms, and works wel on my Android "nameless" 7inch tablet (which, as it happens, has GPS sensor built in, but also has a microUSB connection (to say nothing of the HDMI output - wonderful for watching downloaded TV programs when out of reception areas!)

The signal advantage of the Android tablet model is that the device can be used for a heap of other things when not needed for navigation. I use mine for playing mahjong, controlling the camera remotely, checking emails, checking the ski resort trail maps worldwide - etc!

PM if you want more details.
John
AnswerID: 522096

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 22:15

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 22:15
I'm not an Android expert, BUT, Android operating system does not have any ability to read, via usb, any gps nmea data and decipher it for it's internal processing. No drivers have been developed to make it operate.
Just doesn't work. I was warned when buying an android device it won't use the gps as a PC/laptop can.

If they have recently changed that situation then may be a different story as stated, technology moves fast.
FollowupID: 803046

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:56

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 08:56
Most Androids have an SD card. Perhaps the required software can be put on that.
I think you can access it and boot programs from it.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803055

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:56

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:56
I fear you are right, RossM.

Looking through the menus in Ozi for Android, there are no options for USB input from an external GPS receiver. Nor from Bluetooth.

I tried Bluetooth to see what would happen. They paired, but that's all.

Tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (GT-P6800), Android 4.0.4

I have no experience with iThings so cannot comment other than, AFAIK, there is no Ozi version for them.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803062

Reply By: Skulldug - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 20:59

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 20:59
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Sextant.jpg

Hand held and reliable. Perhaps not what you are after?

Sorry :)

Skull
AnswerID: 522099

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:11

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:11
Skulldug

That's gold !

Not sure that it's compatible with 2013 topographic maps !

Cheers

Gazz

FollowupID: 803037

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:44

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 21:44
Mark,
A simple to use but comprehensive app is the Hema app. I paid about $130 for it. You can run it on a tablet and a smart phone. I use it on my iPhone and ipad Air, although you could use an iPad Mini if you preferred that screen size. You should het the cellular version of the iPad. Unless you want to run an external blue tooth GPS.
Bob
AnswerID: 522103

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 22:11

Monday, Nov 25, 2013 at 22:11
Bob, I was looking at this the other day. Being a bit of a luddite when it comes to Apple, do you have an internal or external GPS for the App once you lose positioning from the towers?

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803045

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 09:27

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 09:27
Just need to purchase a wifi/3g model Mick, and job's right. They don't need any towers to get a fix.

I've not been anywhere as remote as you, but regularly travel away from phone range, and it still works okay.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803057

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:58

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:58
Yep, what Bob said. The cellular version has inbuilt GPS.

Bob
FollowupID: 803065

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:18

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:18
We have a double din VMS unit installed in the car's dash. Fully integrated with the stereo, rear view camera, blue tooth, DVD etc etc and damned hard to steal.

I hate clutter and stuff stuck on the windscreen or mounted on frames or ram mounts (good or bad) in the cabin. It won't fly off and hit you in the face if you have a prang. And you won't hit it with your arms or legs in same accident.

But you can't pick it up and go for a walk. We use a compass and map for that.

It has both street (turn by turn) navigation and comes with Memory Map offroad navigation. I ditched the Memory Map and installed Oziexplorer CE version and have the full Oziexplorer PC version at home for planning etc.

And then we have paper maps and a compass. Remember them.

In my opinion the best for safety and security is in the dash.

Phil

AnswerID: 522123

Sponsored Links