Christmas break ideas

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 26, 2013 at 20:05
ThreadID: 105278 Views:1631 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone.

The wife and I want to hit the road at chrissy for 2-3 weeks and I was just chasing some ideas on what we should do!

To start with we are based on the Gold Coast, will be leaving around the 20th - 22nd December and have until around the 11th january or a bit longer to get back.

Tow car is a Holden RG Colorado lifted and towing a 17ft pop top semi off road van.

We are keen on doing mainly free camping with some caravan parks maybe here and there if available, but not overly fussed.

We're a bit concerned about the heat if heading to far inland and were initially thinking of going to Adelaide along the way as neither of us have been there.

Hoping for some help from others that I know have done loads of travelling!

Cheers, Wayne.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 08:40

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 08:40
At Christmas and summer school holiday time anywhere along the coast to Adelaide from the Gold Coast will be expensive and crowded. If you have not already booked forget it!
At that time of year we find it best to go inland and to a higher altitude. From Brisbane we have enjoyed such areas as the Border Ranges or New England where you are more likely to get cooler nights and good weather for walking and sight seeing. Easy to fill in a couple of weeks. There are some really great places and they are much less crowded at that time, traffic is easy and there is a good mixture of free or cheap places to camp. Lynne
AnswerID: 522168

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 09:01

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 09:01
Carnarvon Gorge?

Might be a bit warm, but then anywhere in summer probably is...

Fantastic part of the world and more likely less crowded than the coastal regions...

But in terms of accessing free camping in places that you would want to stay at , along the coast, at Christmas - expect it to be crowded...

Enjoy...

Baz, The Landy
AnswerID: 522169

Reply By: Tony F8 - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 09:14

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 09:14
You could try Paddy's Flat, down past Woodenbong, it's on the head waters of the Clarence River, free camping, good swimming. Went there a fair bit when we lived in Bris. Just don't know how popular it is now. Only ever 2 or 3 other camps there when we went. Little bit of history there as well, the old tank traps from the war years can still be found. Was part of the Brisbane line to stop the Japanese getting further south if they invaded OZ. Some old graves dating back to the 1850's. All in all a nice spot.
AnswerID: 522170

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:00

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:00
A couple of places that you could try might be Giraween National Park near Stanthorpe or if you went a bit further south, the Mann River Nature Reserve on the Old Grafton/Glenn Innes road. There are a few photos in our blog here
Agree that it would be more relaxed and less crowded away from the coast, though you would need to keep an eye out if it is bushfire weather.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 522177

Reply By: Nutta - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 19:46

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 19:46
Thanks everyone for some great ideas!

Hi Lynne, the border ranges is a good start actually, I didn't think of it for a stop and its only down the road.

I did have the New England in mind as well as a happy medium between the heat out west and the busy coastline, thanks.

Hi Baz, thanks for the input but I'm preferring to head south atm rather than north, cheers.

Hi Tony, I've been through there but haven't stopped, I might put it on the list just to see the tank traps alone and I find those old graves fascinating, a swimming hole is always a bonus!

Hi Val, certainly some lovely pics of Girraween, I don't live far away but never make the effort to get there, I might throw that in on the list!

It looks like a run from the coast with a stop at border ranges, across to paddys flat maybe, to girraween and then a run down the new england and possibly a run back to my uncle place who lives in Tullamore, and an inland run too goondawindi!

I'll have a yak with the wife about it and see what she thinks, we may leave adelaide off the itinerary, thanks for everyones idea's.

Cheers, Wayne.
AnswerID: 522201

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 22:32

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 22:32
Hi Nutta

What do you mean Leave Adelaide off the list

That's disgraceful. Unthinkable,

well it will still be here next year

regards

Geoff
AnswerID: 522219

Follow Up By: Nutta - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 08:24

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 08:24
Hi Geoff, we would love to get to Adelaide, hopefully we aren't sitting in 1 spot too long and can squeeze it in!

Cheers.
FollowupID: 803199

Sponsored Links