Mounting canopy to ute.

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 17:44
ThreadID: 105289 Views:2786 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I have a 2007 GU Patrol Ute with a aluminium canopy mounted. The current canopy has been on for approx 4 years. The front 2 chassis mount where they attach to the canopy have cracked. They are currently bolted on with metal spacers. Once i have repaired the cracks I am looking at replacing the metal spacers with springs or rubber mounts to give some degree of flex. What have anyone else used. Any photos appreciated.

Kevin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 20:06

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 20:06
G'day Kev

They used hard as nails poly shims on mine, though I can't see why you couldn't use high density rubber for a bit of give. Your situation sounds a tad odd. Any chance they didn't line up very well originally resulting in transverse loads on the mounts, as well as vertical?
AnswerID: 522203

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 22:05

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 22:05
Kevin,
I assume you are talking about a full canopy bodythat mounts direct ont vehicle chassis not just a lift off canopy mounted on a tray
I would agree with last post ,it could be transverse forces caused by incorrect alignment of mounts or maybe?? flexing of the nissan chassis.
I personally know several people who have cracked their nissan chassis rails.
I would just put a bit of hd converor belt between the mounts to allow for some movement. easier to replace when worn then having to reweld aliminium mounts.
cheers
howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522285

Reply By: 116hynes - Friday, Dec 20, 2013 at 17:30

Friday, Dec 20, 2013 at 17:30
Hi All,

After a lot of reading/research I came conclusion that problem was being caused by the chassis wanting to flex and the canopy not allowing it. We have been over some very rough country. So, have repaired crack and fitted HD springs to the front mounts to allow movement. Sorry, as I'm not financial can't upload photos

Kevin

AnswerID: 523319

Sponsored Links