Fridge transit covers and summer heat

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 21:51
ThreadID: 105295 Views:2650 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Every one has a transit cover on their 12 volt fridge, l have one on mine which l have lined with air cell roof insulation. It's a bubble wrap with an aluminium backing and since using it inside the cover l have noticed that my fridge does not cycle as much in hot weather. Over xmas l also use one of those tropical type eskies and they say that a damp towel laid over the eskie helps with ice usage.
I have now made the same type of cover for my eskie hoping to get 4/5 days before having to buying ice again.
Has anyone else thought about keeping the hot summer heat off their eskie like this and do you think it will help and work.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 22:35

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 22:35
Hi Murray,
I have a tropical esky but it is about 80 ltrs, I make up 4 blocks of ice and they are large blocks, and they keep for up to about ten days depending if the grand kids are in and out of the esky all day chasing drinks lol, when we are camped up for three or four days I use a couple of wet hessian bags over the top and keep them damp and in the shade, I do the same with the Weaco, even though it has a insulated cover over the top of it.. I hope this is of some assistance to you.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522220

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 23:01

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2013 at 23:01
Not long ago I reinsulated my 39L Engel with additional styrofoam sheet, actually recycled Broccoli boxes from Coles. It adds bulk but under a previous cover which had used used bubble wrap, the foam seems to be quite effective.
All sides are insulated and bottom too.
I added some thinner foam to the rear of the cabinet between the comp and wall. Used styrofoam sheet, thinner, to CDF35 Waeco under it's cover.
Additional sheet styrofoam held against ALL sides of the Esky will probably help too.

When traveling some sleeping bags cover the fridges to keep high ambient heat from near the cool bits.
FollowupID: 803193

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 20:02

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 20:02
Broodie
The fridge is only 50 lt and I usually start off with 3x frozen 2lt milk bottles which last about 3 to 4 days and then have to buy ice. I know about the hessian bag trick also but have not used it yet.
Just on the frozen milk bottles, I've found that by having them in the freezer for a month or two before using makes better ice that lasts longer.
Also keeping the fridge to minimum openings also helps.
Ross
The extra air cell I used on my fridge cover is on top of the covers own insulation with the shiny side facing outwards to repell the heat and this seems to work.
Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803270

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 06:41

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 06:41
The wet towel needs to be kept wet to cool anything. Just like the evaporative coolers at home. An insulaing cover will help but a wet towel may do a better job. The downside is that you have to keep the towel wet. On very hot days a few lifetimes back Mum used to lay a wet rag on our chest to cool us down. Same thing.

We have a small second fridge. We can run both fridges for nearly a full three days without recharging the accessory batteries. Only paid $250 for a used 21 litre Engell on ebay. But you will need an extra battery to last more than a couple of days camped without charging.

Phil
AnswerID: 522226

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 20:54

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 20:54
Phil
I don't want to buy a second 12v fridge as I only need the extra fridge (eskie) at the xmas brake. I would also need to up grade my battery and solar in my camper if I did buy second fridge.
Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803279

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 22:23

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 22:23
Two fridges doesn't suit everybody. Some like the combos as well. No worries. Just putting it out there.

Catchya

Phil

FollowupID: 803290

Reply By: sweetwill - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 07:06

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 07:06
Do you need ice?
AnswerID: 522227

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 11:28

Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 11:28
Hi Murray

Yep that will help on your esky , it works better than on your fridge because you can cover the whole Esky whereas fridge ones have cut out for evaporator etc , and assuming common sense (like things aren't left in sun or back of a closed wagon) then your biggest heat loss is from air movement.

The towel idea doesn't do much directly but indirectly it does help because people then pay more attention to there fridge.

Something that works better in you esky is to put more ice in it.

E.G. If your esky could hold 50 cans total people often reccomend that you put 1/3rd ice in it (16 cans worth of ice) and hence carry 34 actual cans.

However if you carry 34 cans equivalent ice and 16 actual cans - then put your other 16 cans in warm when there is space, then your ice will last longer.

The above works even if you pre-cool the 34 actual cans used in the first case.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522310

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 21:37

Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 21:37
Hi Robin
Agree about more ice will last longer, but unfortunatly I have to make a compramise between ice, food and drinks as my fridge requirments over xmas break is for 6 people. I will have to try and train them to replace what drinks they use when they drink them which will be hard.
It will be interesting to see how much longer the ice will last with the external insulation cover. Forgot to mention in OP that the air cell is covered with a canvas cover and held on with velcro which you would like.
By the way a 30 can block of drinks weather soft or beer is one big block of ice which is nearly 2/3rds my eskie which doesn't leave much space left.
Just had an idea, how do you think that if you drank your can first then filled them with water and then froze them and used them for ice that they would last longer, maybe.
All the best to you and anne for xmas.

Murray & Betty
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803362

Follow Up By: 641 - Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 16:51

Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 16:51
if you can get hold of an old bar fridge, rip out motor , turn it on its back. you got a well insulated metal esky. but that wont do for Christmas this year. Just a thought. we had one that was a fridge/table /chair combo. just added handles and chain for lid.
FollowupID: 803409

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 09:43

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 09:43
Can't help with training the children Murray - the risk of going to the esky and finding it has plenty of ice and no drinks is real.
(although you can do the old glass trick - keep a heavy glass stuck in the ice and pour your not so cold drink into it , this works on the basis that the people who don't bother to put a replacement can back in the fridge , even if theres a sign on it, won't take the time to pinch the empty cold glass)

If you have the capacity to make any more ice , anyway then it alls helps Murray.

One can of ice equals approx 100 cans of very cold water from a cold power point of view - which reminds me that draining water off is good to - we usually put/leave ice in a plastic bag so when it melts it doesn't wet everything but thats more useful with food than drinks.

However you will find that the capacity to make ice in car type fridges is poor .
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803462

Sponsored Links