Trip Advice Please

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 14:12
ThreadID: 105303 Views:1939 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
OK, here's a biggy,

We have a daughter and son-in-law who have 21 days off in May 2014 with a 6 month old son who want to do a camp trip and 'see the country'. Their criteria is; some 4*4 driving, varying country, not drive every day and then no more than 5 hours and avoid caravan parks. Oh! I've taught them well!

Anyway, I'm thinking from Brisbane out through Texas, down through Coonabarrabran, Dubbo, maybe Hay into Echuca. Then down to the western end of the Great Ocean Road (ie Portland west) then into SA returning via the Flinders Ranges, Broken Hill and Hebel/Lightening Ridge. We would like to bump into the Grampians somewhere in here.

However, Oz offers so much you can get overwhelmed and this is a very rubbery plan.

Our rigs will be a 2003 Patrol towing an Innovan and a LC200 towing a 19' Bushtracker.

Any advice on camp-sights, what not to miss, different route suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 16:26

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 16:26
Likely to be plenty of advice on other areas so I will stick to Vic from Echuca down even though I'd go H.C. Paul.

But from Echuca , head down to Bendigo, stay overnight and do mine tour, then do whole Great Ocean from Geelong down.

From Grampians go up a bit and free camp in our dessert a day or two where you can leave vans at say Big Billy (a well marked campsite)and do so safe but fun
4wding (Go out to Thompsons Peak for example , 4 hrs return)

You'll love this - then on your way !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522266

Follow Up By: Member - Paul F (QLD) - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 17:40

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 17:40
Thanks Robin,

Never heard of Big Billy - this sounds like a must see.

P
FollowupID: 803253

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 17:52

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 17:52
Yep , very easy place to live with - water fires , drop loos free, plenty of room for everybody , 2wd access (unless wet) and you can feel like your in the middle of the Simpson camping , except Big Billy has more tracks.

Here I'm getting the girls ready for a ride and this shows general camp area but someone else may have better pics.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522272

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 17:55

Thursday, Nov 28, 2013 at 17:55
Sorry hit the wrong keys this was supposed to be a followup

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 803255

Sponsored Links