Work and Play

Submitted: Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 12:58
ThreadID: 105314 Views:1801 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I'm a Carpenter by trade and currently sub contract to builders and when possible my own work. I currently have a land cruiser ute, I've been working on to do a touring trip from. What im looking at doing is putting on a alloy canopy for camping(holidays part of the trip) and towing my tool trailer (working part of trip ) and head to alice springs from there and head up to Darwin and eventually get to cape York before the wet season hits . im looking at heading west in late January 2014. ill be dropping off my trailer in cairns before i go to cape

Question, how hard is it to find work out in remote places as a tradie? I find the more west you go the less information is available on the internet.
Is accommodation hard to find, and what's a rough price, id be looking at a weekly rental? for a short stay and a month if the work is there.

Would it be a reasonable assumption to assume if i worked half the trip it would pay for the holiday half?

Would love to hear any feed back big or small, especially from any tradie in construction!!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 15:05

Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 15:05
Without going into detail but if a property owner want an entertainment deck built she wants a new kitchen installed it is a headache to find someone that will do it start to finish.
If you do a good job the word of mouth will set you up.
Do some canvassing and you may find you have no time to make it to the cape.
I know a carpenter who is never out of work.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522326

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 15:22

Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 15:22
As an example the publican at Urandangie waited yonks before a chippy/handyman came through who was able to fit a replacement window for her. From our experience you'll find this is pretty well the case more or less everywhere.

I would be stunned and amazed if you didn't end up with more work than you could handle, especially if you worked out a system wherein you advised the localities in advance that you would be passing through and looking for assorted odds and sods to do.
AnswerID: 522327

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 16:09

Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 16:09
Also be aware that you will need to be adequately licensed in Qld to undertake the work, The Queensland Building Services Authority (soon to be the Queensland Building and Construction Commission on Monday) have info on their website.
To undertake building work unlicensed you can only perform work up to the value of $3,300.
Although there is many Licensed builders after qualified tradies short term as workers with skills are hard to find in western areas of Qld.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 522331

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 18:41

Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 18:41
A bloke who can build and fix stuff, and who relocates to country or remote areas, should never be out of work for one minute - unless he's exceptionally choosy about the type of work he does.
AnswerID: 522344

Reply By: SDG - Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 19:12

Friday, Nov 29, 2013 at 19:12
Often caravan parks will trade accomodation in trade for work done on their premises. Could always discuss this with each place you go to
AnswerID: 522346

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 09:51

Saturday, Nov 30, 2013 at 09:51
Rent over in the Nth West is over the top $3000.00 per week for a 3br house. But plenty of work.
Try ( Work about Australia) web site it has a range of jobs all over the country.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522366

Sponsored Links