Sunday History Photo / Qld

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 04:19
ThreadID: 105327 Views:3621 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Please read notice at bottom.

Did you know that Lucas' Papaw Ointment has a proud history spanning over 100 years.
Thomas Pennington Lucas was born in Dunbar, Scotland to Samuel Lucas, a Wesleyan Methodist minister, and Elizabeth Broadhurst. He inherited from his father a love of natural history and a lifelong determination to reconcile his strong religious beliefs with his scientific convictions, as evidenced in many of his books. Because his father was often on the move to new postings, taking his family with him, Thomas was educated at King Edward VI Grammar School at Stratford-on-Avon, Helston Grammar School, Cornwall, and New Kingswood School in Bath. Having developed tuberculosis, in 1876 Thomas Lucas migrated to Melbourne, Australia where he set up a medical practice. His three living children joined him there in 1879 after being cared for by his brother, Arthur Henry Shakespeare Lucas. Arthur followed him to Melbourne in 1883 and became a well known biologist and schoolmaster in his own right.

Lucas and his family moved to Brisbane, Queensland in 1886. His medical practice was first set up in central Brisbane, moving in the early 1890s to South Brisbane. Later he relocated to Acacia Ridge south of Brisbane, then finally to New Farm in inner north Brisbane from 1911 until Lucas's death.
As his degrees, diplomas, and honours indicate, Dr Lucas was among the leading medical men of his day.
In 1882 Thomas Lucas founded the Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. During his lifetime he collected a large number of butterfly and moth specimens, some of which eventually found their way into the possession of the South Australian Museum.
He was a member of various learned societies including the Linnean Society, the Royal Society, the Royal College of Surgeons, and the British Medical Association in England, and the Linnean Society of New South Wales, the Royal Society of Queensland, and the Natural History Society of Queensland.
In addition to his studies and involvement with many prestigious groups, Dr. Lucas was also a contributor to The British Medical Journal London as far back as 1875. Originally practicing medicine in London, Dr. Lucas came to Australia in 1876 seeking a warmer climate. He initially moved to Melbourne where he practiced for 10 years before moving to Brisbane in Queensland. It was in Queensland that the story of Lucas’ Papaw Ointment really starts to take shape.

After moving to Queensland, Dr Lucas carried out numerous scientific studies, botanical and medicinal experiments, looking for a natural remedy for disease. Dr Lucas started to combine his medical training with his profound knowledge of natural history and botany. While carrying out his botanical research, Dr Lucas studied tens of thousands of botanical specimens. The specimen which commanded his closest attention and to which he devoted special study was the papaw tree.
The papaw plant and its fruit impressed Dr Lucas so much that his investigations led him to describe it as “the world's greatest healing agent”. From then on, Dr. Lucas devoted his researches to its application to modern medicine and, as a consequence, its benefits to humanity.
The passion Dr Lucas had for medicine and caring for people led him to open a special Hospital called "Vera". At the hospital, located in Brisbane, patients were treated solely by his Papaw remedies. Take a look at your red plastic jar or tube of Lucas Papaw Ointment and you will see the trade mark "Vera Papaw Hospital" picture is still printed on them today.

The hospital recorded many fantastic results, including cases of disease which had until then been deemed incurable yielding to this latest treatment. As people saw the benefits of the ointment its use spread around Australia and the world. There was even a testimony to Papaw written in 1910 by the Great Ormond St. Hospital London.
On his death, Dr Lucas left to his widow the complete formulae of his preparations and all directions for compounding them. Mrs. Lucas (who for many years had been actively engaged with him in his hospital work) gave active and devoted attention to continuing the production of the ointment that her husband had worked so hard to create.

After the death of Dr. Lucas it was impossible to carry on the overwhelming work that the Vera Papaw Hospital entailed. However, it was possible to make available for the public benefit the remedies which were used for treatment and therapy.
Now several generations on, the all important papaw remedies have been passed on to the descendants of Dr Lucas. Today, the family owned business continues to manufacture Lucas’ Papaw Ointment to the same formula that Dr. Lucas used to prepare the ointment he worked so hard to create in his lifetime.

NOTICE...........
Next Sunday I will still be recovering in Penrith Hospoital after an Operation tomorrow.
Fred B will away and probably will not have Internet, therefore SHP may not appear next week, I will have my Laptop and files and if capable will do an SHP .

Doug

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 11 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 04:48

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 04:48
Hi Doug,
Another interesting read and something completely different.

All the best with the Op and may you have a speedy revery.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 522396

Reply By: gbc - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 06:50

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 06:50
We have a tube in the cupboard, the kids call it the magic cream.
Good luck with the op Doug, come back soon.
AnswerID: 522398

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 07:02

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 07:02
I just spent two weeks with the present owner [desendant] of this ointment. we were both on a charity safari with CMCA. H has a large 5'er.

PeterH
AnswerID: 522399

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 07:14

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 07:14
I met him a few years ago. Nice bloke and very interesting in how the ointment is made.
FollowupID: 803456

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 07:57

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 07:57
Its interesting to reflect on the preconceptions we have of suburbs, based on their names, in cities with which we are unfamiliar. As a kid from Melbourne I'd hear the exotic names of suburbs in Sydney, Perth, Brisbane etc and conjure up images of what the place might actually be like. I specifically recall that the attractively named Acacia Ridge evoked images of wattles, wooded bushland and rurality. What a disappointment when I learned that it was the centre of the industrial sprawl of Brisbane.

Not being a paw paw fan - it smells like vomit - I found this an interesting read. Thanks Doug.

Bob
AnswerID: 522400

Reply By: Member Bushy 04(VIC) - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 08:59

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 08:59
Hi Dough, all the best for the opp next week, and will pray for a speedy recovery for you.
Just don't know what I will do next sunday without your story.
Another great article Doug.

All the best Bushy.
AnswerID: 522403

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 13:54

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 13:54
Bushy

If I can feel ok by next Sundy ....and i can no reason why not after 6 days after the Op then SHP will be on, I have 2 with me.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803473

Reply By: scandal - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 09:22

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 09:22
Lucas pawpaw industries is still located in Acacia ridge today, just off busy Beaudesert rd,
AnswerID: 522404

Reply By: kev.h - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 11:30

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 11:30
Hi Dough, all the best for the opp next week
AnswerID: 522408

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 11:38

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 11:38
All the best, Doug, and a speedy recovery.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522409

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 11:58

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 11:58
Doug, that's an interesting story, thanks for your work in writing it up. I never knew Papaw Ointment was such an extensive cure-all.

I can see you're going to become the Aussie version of John Doremus, and his "Passing Parade"!

Who could forget John Doremus's gravelly voice regularly finishing up his fascinating stories with ... "Our time is up! ... 'til we meet again, for another chapter in the Passing Parade! ... this is John Doremus! ... as always, thank you so much! ... and good-bye for now! ..."

Sorry to hear you have to go under the knife again. All the best for the op, and I trust you hit the ground running when they finish stitching you up.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 522410

Reply By: lancie49 - Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 19:18

Sunday, Dec 01, 2013 at 19:18
Hey Doug, give the Operation a miss and rub it with Papaw Ointment :-)

Maybe not...........:-(

Hope all goes well, and we all look forward to next Sundys installment of SHP.
AnswerID: 522431

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Monday, Dec 02, 2013 at 02:52

Monday, Dec 02, 2013 at 02:52
Good luck with the op Doug, hope you have a speedy recovery...

Cheers

D & B

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522443

Sponsored Links