Comment: EOTopo

Purchased EOTopo 200K. Unable to open it on my laptop. Says it needs ozf4. So far, a waste of $100.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 20:21

Wednesday, Dec 04, 2013 at 20:21
Donald,

That is an easy fix, simply download the latest version of OziExplorer from www.oziexplorer.com and it will allow you to open this latest map format. The upgrades are free and take only a few minutes to apply.

If you do not want to do this then you can use the ECW files that are supplied but the OZF4 files are much better choice for OziExplorer users.

Any problems please let us know info@exploroz.com

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522568

Follow Up By: donald p - Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 20:41

Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 20:41
Thanks David. Problem solved. The maps look fabulous!!!!!!!!!!

Donald
FollowupID: 803721

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 20:45

Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 20:45
Excellent, so glad it is now sorted. Any questions, problems or feedback simply let us know.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522623

Reply By: Member - DrRob - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2013 at 23:42

Wednesday, Dec 18, 2013 at 23:42
Yes. I just purchased this as well. Unable to use maps. Looks like I need some sort of external application. I have concerns about this:
1. It isn't at all clear in the documentation that another purchase is needed to use the maps. This seems unethical, especially because it might cost me another $150 or similar.
2. There is no advice about which apps are needed to view the maps, and which work on each device.

I've browsed around various sites with no solutions.

Rob and Rita - semi-retired telecommuting from anywhere!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 523257

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Dec 19, 2013 at 02:00

Thursday, Dec 19, 2013 at 02:00
Hello Rob

In relation to your points 1 & 2 - It specifically states on the Shop page in bold black letters..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: You must have map viewing software to open/view these maps files. Compatible with almost all GPS mapping programs, including OziExplorer, TrackRanger & Memory-Map.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Also on the EpTopo Article page it states
------------------------------------------------------------------
EOTopo 200K is widely compatible with most GPS mapping software, including the Memory-Map app, and is not just limited to OziExplorer and TrackRanger users.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My advice...

You can download all the various versions of OziExplorer (PC, CE, Android) from HERE for free. These free/demo/trial versions have various limitations but as a minimum allow you to view the OZF4 (and maybe ECW) format maps. Fully functional version of each variant cost a few dollars - up to you to decide if you need/want it.

I don't know if there are free/demo/trial versions of Trackranger/Memory Map and cant be bothered looking for you but do a search as see what you find. There are a few other GPS mapping programs which I know of that can open/use ecw but apart from Ozi/Trackranger most are a tad expensive. There is a free ecw viewer HERE but that's about all it does (i.e. its not gps mapping software).

So - you may or may not need to spend more money to "use" the maps - depends what your specific intentions/requirements are.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 804626

Sponsored Links