Winch for factory alloy bar?

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 03, 2013 at 13:25
ThreadID: 105361 Views:2811 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2000 GXL 105 series cruiser (with airbags), fitted with a factory alloy bar, which I believe is called an “estate” bar (but happy to stand corrected). Code on bar is TMCA PZQ29 60070 (tried uploading photo but failed...seems to be no winch cutout or markup for cutout).

I’ve heard that a winch can be fitted with a winch cradle the bar, with a hole cut into the bar to attach the fairlead. Saw one fitted up very neatly on the weekend, but didn’t get a good enough look to tell if it was a 100 or 105.

I’m wondering if anyone knows if fitting a winch to my bar possible?
Is it legal (eg: will it affect airbag compliance)?
Will only certain winches fit?
Is this only possible with a winch compatable “estate” bar, and was such a bar made for the 105 (I know there’s one for the 100).

Any experience or advice welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PeterInSa - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2013 at 17:08

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2013 at 17:08
Around 12 years ago I replaced an alloy bar with a steel one and also purchased a Warne winch from ARB, with a good discount it cost $3000. At the time I could have fitted a winch to the Alloy bar as you suggested, with the cradle.

Have used the winch about 7 times over this period, but never to get me out of trouble. To me they are a saftey item if out in the bush alone, but with others probably not necessary.

Would I do it again, yes, but maybe one of the cheaper versions that are on the market now, and I would look at the cradle to make sure that there is no stress on the alloy bar, its just there for looks.

Call ARB etc.

Peter
AnswerID: 522523

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Dec 03, 2013 at 22:29

Tuesday, Dec 03, 2013 at 22:29
I have a ARB bar that was not winch ready on my 70 series. After getting a winch for a birthday (12000lbs with synthetic rope for $410) I set about mounting it.

I had to order a winch mounting plate $70.

I had to weld the mounting plate in place and cutout the hole in the front which was smaller than the normal one due to only needing an aluminium fairlead.

All fits perfectly.Well almost - the free wheeling lever needed to be cut and rewelded on a flatter angle to fit in.

I have needed to use it on the Canning Stock Route in July when fully loaded with camper on the back I became stuck in a mud flat. The winch managed to pull me free.

Cheers
Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 522533

Sponsored Links