campers

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 19:14
ThreadID: 105385 Views:2093 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
am looking at a optima slide on camper by active campers to go on a ranger twin cab,any comments please,thanks in advance ,barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 21:44

Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 21:44
Barry,

at least one member on the site has an Active Camper - Optima model although he has it sitting on the back of a mighty 79 series ute. A member message might get you some feedback.

Member Tojofixa

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522626

Reply By: lkyphl - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 16:15

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 16:15
G'day Barry,

I've had an AC Optima 2350 (size since discontinued) camper on the back of an extra-cab tray for about 2 1/2 years, or perhaps 120 sleeps, and would say the quality of construction is excellent, the camper has terrific ventilation, plenty of space, too much storage (you will find your vehicle's GVM very easy to exceed), and pretty good manoeuvreability in tight tracks. The fridge could be a bit bigger, the two-burner stove is good, the LED lighting good.
The yellow material the manufacturer uses for the walls is difficult to keep clean and difficult to clean when it gets a little grimy.
I have changed the mattress for a better and thicker one.

Overall I'm very happy with mine and would buy another.

I would emphasise the GVM "problem", though ; the quoted weight of mine was NOT the actual weight. Also be aware of putting too much weight behind the rear axle ; I had my chassis extended to prevent chassis flex ; not cheap !

They are a great unit, and I'm glad I went the slide-on route,

Phil
AnswerID: 522803

Sponsored Links