Gary Hwy conditions and POI's

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 21:23
ThreadID: 105387 Views:2162 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Would appreciate a couple of tips as to (a)...What sort of condition the Gary Junction Hwy is in, from Alice to Marble Bar and (b).... what would be the expected time to travel that distance taking time to enjoy the trip?.-----and are there any POI's of note or good overnight camp spots to mention?.......As a Len Beadell fan I've done his other tracks, but know nothing of the Gary Junc,Telfer, Wapeet, etc, and I've read on this site of those of you who have done it, so your experience would be helpful,--and to plan a bit of an itinerary it'd be good to have a time frame of some sort----Any tips appreciated
Regards-(and merry xmas)...Sapper D

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 22:07

Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 22:07
Sapper,

I was on it twice this year and last year as well. Mixed bag of conditions. If you are going up it from Alice, I'd consider going out the Western Macs and into Papunya via Haasts bluff. The conditions between Papunya and the bitumen of the Tanami is atrocious at the best of times. If you do go that way there is a good spot to camp just over The Derwent some 18 km east of Papunya. - Turn left immediately after crossing the creek and drive south along its western bank as far as you like. Claypans, plenty of wood and some great views of Haasts bluff.

Mixed bag of conditions along the route with conditions worst around communities. Mostly rocky but the road is maintained (occasionally). We met the grader near Kintor this year...what a blessing. Sandier up the western end but only in places and not deep sand, just a red road. Good camping in the Dover Hills. If you decide to camp amongst the magnificent Desert Oaks of Jupiter Well, pick up firewood before you get there, same for the Gary Junction itself.

3 days to Kurnawarritji (Kmart) from Alice. Super-highway from Kmart to Woodie Woodie Mine.Camp at Carrawine Gorge or head out the Skull Springs Road to Eel Pool (Silent Waters) and then take the Rippon Hills Road into Marble Bar.

Nice little camp spot hidden behind dunes a few kms west of Punmu ( 21°57'17.29"S 122°59'46.66"E).

Mate I've written extensively of my last 8 trips on the road including camp sites. Conditions don't change that much unless you are fortunate enough to meet the grader somewhere.

Gary Junction Blog list (some of them)

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522628

Follow Up By: Sapper D - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 21:05

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 21:05
Thanks Mick, every bit helps, and your suggestion of which route to take was what I had in mind.----I'll now plan down those lines.
Great help mate, and merry xmas and safe travels in the new year

Sapper D
FollowupID: 803815

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 23:11

Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 23:11
Our preferred route to the Kimberley.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome

AnswerID: 522634

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 08:13

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 08:13
Hi Peter, do you get to the Kimberley via the Canning Stock Route or continue along the Wapet ( Kidson ) track? Just curious, we used to live in WA and now live in Tassie so we have more choices on how to get back there! Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 803749

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:33

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:33
The other way to the Kimberley is to go up the Lake Mackay track. It leaves the Gary Junction Road at Mt Webb, winds along the western shores of Lake Mackay, then wends its way up to Balgo. There is also a track running out of Kiwirrkurra that joins this track but I haven't done that section.
So the options are: Tanami Road, Lake Mackay Track, Wapet Rd or CSR.

Bob
FollowupID: 803765

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:50

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:50
We go via Marble Bar and Shay Gap (we have friends at Yarrie).

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 803768

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 09:56

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 09:56
The Balgo-Kiwirr Road past lake McKay (Lake McKay Road) is in pretty bad shape. It's OK up to Dwarf well and a bit passed there but after that, it's all bad. The top end near Balgo is appalling with corrugations that will equal anything on the Canning.

It's a closed road so you will also need permission from the T/O's to travel it.

Kidson/Wapet is a better option if you are looking for the "Remote track" option. The top two thirds has been rebuilt by Inland Services 2 years ago so in good nick. Again permission is required for the WAPET but it is a lot easier to obtain than the Balgo-Kiwirr Road.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 803832

Sponsored Links