mitsubishi challenger

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 05, 2013 at 23:26
ThreadID: 105388 Views:4309 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,I am about to replace my tow vehicle and looking at several options.Has anyone had experience with the 2.5l diesel mitsubishi challenger auto towing a caravan.My current van is a 15' poptop but could upgrade in the future.My first thoughts are Prado however paying $40000 for a secondhand Prado that has probably done round a 100000 k does not appeal.Any suggested alternatives would be appreciated.
thanks kman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 01:41

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 01:41
Hi kman,
I have been towing my 8m boat with the 2.5 diesel Challenger for 3 years. Towing weight is close to the rated max of 3 ton.
She tows that load well once up and running but getting her going from a stop on an uphill slope is tricky. The first gear (high range) is too high and the power is not there until the turbo kicks in.
Mine is the manual, the auto would be better for hill starts with a heavy load.
I modified mine to be able to switch off the front freewheel lockers so I can select low range 2WD on bitumen without transmission windup problems. That gets her going even on steep boat ramps.
V8troopie
AnswerID: 522637

Follow Up By: Erad - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:51

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 09:51
kman:
I was talking to a guy in Narrabrai who was towing a very large van with a new Challenger. He said it towed very well. I have a Pajero and it tows like a dream (not a nightmare either!), but that is a 3.2L engine. not the 2.5L.

Troopie:
How did you modify the controls to eliminate the centre diff lock? What was involved?
FollowupID: 803763

Follow Up By: Gronk - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 20:06

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 20:06
V8 troopie, could you tell us how you did this mod ??

I have a need for this sort of mod to get my van up my driveway !!
FollowupID: 803809

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 00:18

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 00:18
Well, the auto freewheel lockers are vacuum operated. The valves for these are located behind the drivers side front wheel, hard to get at unless taking the wheel off.
Even harder is to figure out which of the 3 valves (the third operates the front diff locker) is associated, I followed the air lines back to the front diff, inside which are the freewheel lockers.
Once the valves were identified the wires controlling them were cut and routed via a suitable relay (located in a dust proof box under the bonnet). This relay, when not energised, connects the vac valves just as they were originally.
A switch in the cabin energises the relay and the vac valves no longer operate, even if the computer says so when low range 4WD is engaged.

I have tried to fool the computer by an extra set of relay contacts simulating the vac relay coil resistance even when its disabled, to stop that flashing light on the dash. But the computer is too smart for that I think.
Anyway, the mod works fine and I have LO range in two wheel drive available. A light on the cabin switch reminds me its on.

Its not an easy mod, would only recommend it for people very familiar with car wiring @ relay controls.
V8troopie
FollowupID: 803821

Reply By: Kazza055 - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:25

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:25
Kman1 - I tow a 18'6" van at 2500kg ATM with mine so your 15' poptop would be fine.

At 2500kg I do find that it is running out of steam. For example I normally cruise at around 95k and it will do that all day but try and overtake a slower vehicle and it seems to take forever to build up the extra 5 to 10k to perform the overtaking manoeuvre. It uses about 50% more fuel which really restricts the range between top ups.

I am currently in the process of upgrading to a MY14 D-Max, hoping to place the order next week once I have finally seen the new model.
AnswerID: 522656

Reply By: escapesilv - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 16:50

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 16:50
Hi Hman1

We have a 2.5 Challenger (automatic) and have been towing up to approx. 1500Kg, which it towes with no difficulty at all, never mind road conditions, I think they are a great towing vehicle, but have never pushed it to its limit.

Cheers

Rob.
AnswerID: 522669

Reply By: Member - john y - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:40

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 10:40
G'day kman 1, I was looking for a back up tow vehicle for our Coromal Pioneer single axle pop top and was considering the Challenger amongst others so I sought info on another forum and the replies were impressive.Tested one and was suitably impressed so I bought an L.S. There are currently good end of year deals available. Regards john y
AnswerID: 522695

Sponsored Links