Comment: EOTopo 200K

Hi, I am not really up to speed about this stuff,
is anyone able to tell me if this will work in a handle held GPS like a Garmin.
Also will it work in a Hema HN5i.
Many thanks,
Lostmonster & Co
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:54

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:54
Hi Lostmonster & Co,

Hand held GPS devices use vector mapping, which means that you are usually limited to that particular manufacturer's own mapping. The EOTopo 200K product is what is known as raster mapping (essentially a digital image), and therefore is configured for use with digital map viewing software such as OziExplorer and TrackRanger. The HN5i uses a Hema customised version of OziExplorer for Off Road Navigation, therefore you can load the EOTopo Mapping for use with this device.

The best way to do this would be to order the EOTopo 200K SD Card, then remove the ECW files (which are not needed by the HN5i) from the card. You will then need to transfer the files the are located on the HN5is current SD card to the new EOTopo SD Card, insert the card into the HN5i unit, and you should be up and running.

If you require any assistance to do this, please just contact me directly at adele@exploroz.com
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 522662

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 13:21

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 13:21
Hi

Just to clarify - some handheld GPS units use vector mapping only but there are several that also use raster mapping. For example the TwoNav Aventura/Sportiva use raster (and vector) maps and you would be able to load EOTopo 200K in ecw format directly onto these units.

Some Garmin units also allow the loading of "custom" raster maps (KMZ of JNX format) but there is a limit to the size so not that useful for most people. Use of JNX format requires registration to Birdseye and payment of an annual fee (I think)(you would also need to convert supplied ecw files to KMZ/JNX).

The new Garmin Monterra runs Android OS and various programs (apps) can be loaded onto it (e.g TwoNav and OziExplorer) which will also allow you to view raster maps (Load OXZF format files directly for OziExplorer. TwoNav requires conversion to RMAP format but that is easy).

Same as many Android smartphones which have GPS capabilities (therefore = handheld gps) - just load OziExplore/TwoNav or one of a number of free gps mapping apps.

Newer Magellan handheld GPS units also have the capacity to load raster maps but like Garmin it is in their own format (RMP) which is limiting in some respects. OziExplorer's MapMerge program (paid version) allows you to convert some map formats (e.g. ecw) to RMP. I have never tried this so dont know how good RMP maps on a Magellan are.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803786

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 13:28

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 13:28
Thanks Greg, I wasn't aware that there were handheld GPS units that use raster mapping - will have to look into this as it would be a good addition to our shop range if we were able to stock these devices.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803787

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 13:33

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 13:33
..I have been using TwoNav Aventura for several years now..as raster maps (and air photso) + overlay of vector data is best combination. Prior to this used GPS equipped PDA with OziExplorerCE....so its almost always been possible to use raster maps on a "handheld gps" - but more options these days.

Garmin and to a lesser extent Magellan try and control your map purchases to their products only but the advent of the Garmin Monterra would suggest a softening of the approach - it comes with a Garmin Map program that only uses Garmin format maps but you can load your own apps (as stated e.g. TwoNav/Ozi) and use a variety of maps/air photos/vector data which is the attractive part (for me at least).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803788

Follow Up By: andrew1964 - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:57

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:57
There is a free gamin-compatible Australia-wide topo mapset (vector) available on the internet called Shonky Maps, it is free ware so you aren't doing anything wrong by having it. It is great for the older handhelds such as the etrex series. Look it up on google.
FollowupID: 803798

Sponsored Links