Ulupna Island Etiquette

Submitted: Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 15:30
ThreadID: 105395 Views:2588 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone's been to Forrest beach in/near Ulupna Island. A bunch of my friends are planning to go this upcoming January 11th and I have a two main questions regarding travel & etiquette. We’re not new to camping but this will be the first time in a group this large so I’m trying to be as considerate as I can.

Would anyone know how many people would be around? This is the main thing I’m worried about - We’re in a large group (20+) and there will be alcohol involved so we’re bound to get a little rowdy till late in the night. Obviously common courtesy applies and we will be letting our neighbours know - but are there any ‘unwritten’ camper rules that we should know about. Have you ever been in a situation with rowdy camper neighbours? Discuss.

Second question - How accessible is Forest Beach? In the past we’ve camped at Lagoon & Ulupna Beach which are accessible by non 4WD's but I’m planning to take my dog this time around so we’re gonna need to camp outside the national park (I believe Forest beach is in the murray river park, where dogs are allowed)

Those are the main questions - I appreciate all the feedback.

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris G (VIC) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 16:47

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 16:47
Hi Joseph P5,

I have not camped at this particular campsite, but my son has a unit at The 'Time Out Resort" which abuts this area. I have visited many times and at this moment, if the season is as usual, the riverside camps are filling NOW. Many long term campers with kids of all ages. They all probably drink to one degree or another, but noisy and rowdy until late at night. I am not sure this is the place for your group, with respect. Just my opinion.

Chris
AnswerID: 522668

Reply By: Skulldug - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:00

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:00
Joseph,

Thanks for letting us know in advance.

I personally don't mind groups having a few drinks and enjoying themselves. If there are posted rules, you should stay within them. If there aren't, I would say anything past midnight is getting a bit rude.

The trouble I see is that in any group of 20 plus people with alcohol involved, there is likely to be at least one that can't control their language, make wise decisions about where to pee or who wants to fight everyone.

If you are genuinely considerate, turn the volume down at 10 pm and off at 12. I also think the group should take responsibility for the one or two who get a bit obnoxious when they have had too much to drink.

Just my thoughts.

Skull
AnswerID: 522670

Reply By: Joseph P5 - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:23

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:23
Thanks for the great advice fellas! Appreciated and noted.

The last time we went to Ulupna the place was pretty deserted, hence why I chose this place - I've checked with the rangers in the area and they say Christmas and New years is the busiest places but dies down straight after - on the dates that I've chosen.

I think my plan is to start drinking during the day to tire everyone out by 10/11pm - None of us are aggressive and no fights have ever broken out within my group so I don't imagine that happening - we just tend to sing songs and laugh/converse loudly. We're actually a really friendly and fun group albeit a little loud when intoxicated.

Toilet rules will be strictly placed and I'm planning to have this camp glass free - the amount of planning I've put is actually probably overboard. I'm planning to have a rubbish free(or minimal rubbish) camp by bringing A Tap King (Keg Styled dispenser for beer) and Im going to transfer all the hard liquor into vacuum sealed bags. Paper cups and plates to contribute to the fuel for the fire, fire-ban permitting.

I'm always looking forward to the come down period (when there are only a few left standing) to star gaze and have deep conversations. Hopefully we'll have most in bed by 12am.
AnswerID: 522671

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:48

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:48
May I suggest the following:

Other families who are camping near you have the right to expect some quality family time. Make sure they don't feel threatened by any noise from your camp by introducing yourselves early in the day.

Make sure that if they feel the need to talk to you that none of you will respond with aggression (that seems to be the default situation these days).

If you have any games organised, cricket etc, invite the other campers to join in.

Basically, be mature enough (no offence intended) to put yourself in their place and behave accordingly.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 522672

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:51

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:51
And I might add, Joseph, that asking these questions in the first place shows me that you have that maturity and consideration for others.

I assume your friends would be the same or they wouldn't be your friends.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 803796

Follow Up By: Joseph P5 - Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:53

Friday, Dec 06, 2013 at 17:53
Thanks for your reply Gone Bush,

That was my plan from the start. My #1 priority for this camp will be to be considerate to other families. I totally understand where they will be coming from and what they're there for.

Good advice on inviting them, I'll put that in my notes. Again, I must stress we're a really friendly and outgoing bunch - but I'll make a note to be approachable the whole time.

Cheers!
FollowupID: 803797

Reply By: Iza B - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 07:30

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 07:30
Why are people bound to "get a little rowdy till late"? If they cannot show respect and consideration for others, then they should not be going. It is not up to the neighbours to tolerate bad behaviour, it is up to you and your party to do the right thing. It has been my observation that large groups seem to think they can toss all the rules aside and carry on like pork chops just because the size of the group is enough to intimidate others.

The "etiquette" that applies to large groups is the same for small groups; don't disrespect everyone's right to a bit of peace and quiet in the bush. Almost forgot, don't forget to leave the place cleaner than it was when you arrived.

Iza
AnswerID: 522689

Follow Up By: Joseph P5 - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 15:18

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 15:18
Hi Iza,

Sorry, I think I may have put 'rowdy' in the wrong context - we tend to throw that word around freely after a loud night. By rowdy I didn't mean drunk and disorderly and causing trouble - I meant a little loud and cheerful - as you do when you have a little to drink.

If my group was the type to "toss the rules aside" do you really think I would join the exploroz forums to ask for camp etiquette? I think what I was really asking was how to best approach the situation (if we were to have a neighbour) Talking loud is inevitable in large groups anywhere there is an occasion.

I believe I'm doing the right thing by taking all the precautions possible. I'm doing my research, joining forums and asking people for advice - I wouldn't take my group camping if I didn't think they could behave. Obviously I will be relaying all the information I have found to my group and applying strict rules.

As to the cleaning section, I have taken extensive measures to make sure this camp will have minimal rubbish. There will be no glass bottles or even plastic plates - the only rubbish we will have would come from the l food scraps which we plan to take back to Strathmerton to dispose of. Thanks for reminding me though - I almost forgot.

Just because we are young and in a large group does not mean we are the dumb, ignorant type that ignore the rules. We do know what respect is.
FollowupID: 803852

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 13:12

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 13:12
"If they cannot show respect and consideration for others, then they should not be going. It is not up to the neighbours to tolerate bad behaviour, it is up to you and your party to do the right thing."

WOW....You tell em!

I was always under the opinion that "respect, consideration and tolerance" were a two way thing. Obviously not........It must mean everyone one must behave like YOU, show YOU respect and tolerate YOUR rules.

Give them a break......Its sounds to me like a group of young people going camping instead of night clubbing (a good option in my opinion) who seem organised by planning ahead, considerate by coming on a public and asking the question in the first place and tolerant by reading comments like yours and taking it on the chin.

When people camp in public places ALL campers need to be tolerant.....that might mean his group need to tone down a bit earlier than normal for your sake and YOU might need to tolerate someone enjoying themselves in a different way than you for a little while. Not everyone's idea of a good night out is the same as yours?

Good on you for taking the time to ask Joseph.........If a few others showed the same consideration respect and tolerance as yourself public campsites might be happier places.

Cheers
FollowupID: 803958

Follow Up By: Joseph P5 - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 13:38

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 13:38
Great response Hairy. Hopefully i'll end up camping next to campers like yourself. Cheers!
FollowupID: 804024

Reply By: Meridith D - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 12:52

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 12:52
A couple of months ago we camped in the Grampians with a group of friends and our campers etc. Another group turned up and managed to set up their camp fire within about 10 feet of my friends Cub camper. Not only was the smoke a bother near the camper, they sat up drinking and talking for quite a while.
Their idea of our to keep the noise down????......They set up at verticle tarp between the fire and the camper (like a wall). Yep....that really helped keep the noise down :-/
AnswerID: 522747

Follow Up By: Joseph P5 - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 12:10

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 12:10
Haha, sounds like a nightmare Meridith. Some people can be really inconsiderate.

It would be interesting to hear what the Rangers say about these types of campers. Surely they wouldn't be an uncommon occurrence. Wonder what would happen if both our groups camped next to each other? lol.
FollowupID: 803957

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 13:20

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 13:20
"Wonder what would happen if both our groups camped next to each other"

Goodness Gracious....heaven forbid!!!

Imagine it. Two groups of people talking! Two lots of smoke! and dare I say it.........Two groups of people drinking!!!!!! There just arent enough tarps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bugger calling the rangers.....Call the ARMY... LOL
FollowupID: 803959

Sponsored Links