Mounting Highlift Jack Under Tray

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 13:03
ThreadID: 105403 Views:7256 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I was looking for some ideas to mount a hi lift jack under my tray. I had a jack mounted on some studs under my tray but unfortunately it has a new owner and worse still it was not a chinese one. Not everyone shops at ARB and it seems plucking items off 4x4 vehiclesis a popular pastime.

So how have you mounted your jack or awning to cause some at least mild inconvenience to those who prefer not to pay for their accessories ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 15:48

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 15:48
Best thing is to put a 12mm stud mounted to the vehicle through a hole in the jack and use a smallish padlock to secure it.

Everything we fit on the outside to any of our trailers or vehicles we always padlock them.

Two reasons, to stop someone wanting more than me and as a safety restraint just in case we forget to secure it correctly or it comes loose.
AnswerID: 522710

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 18:13

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 18:13
I like the stud idea too, as it reduces the risk of one losing "stuff". Have seen this idea on spare tyre mounts as well.

With the advent of battery powered angle grinders, and those thin disks, nothing is safe anymore. We had a young bloke work for us some years back, and he a had a big tool box in the back of his ute, with 2 padlocks. These padlocks were encased in home made "fittings" that totally enclosed the padlock, except for the end where the key went, and the upper/inner side where the clasp fitted to the toolbox.

Don't know if I've described it well, but I thought it was a great idea, and further increased the delay needed to rat one's gear by some lowlife.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522714

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 08:06

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 08:06
Maybe use lock nuts that are used on spot lights.
Plenty on flea bay, won't stop a determined thief, but will delay them.

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 522733

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 19:53

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 19:53
Thanks, this seems the best easiest neatest security solution for the jack. I did discover shear nuts for the awning which are permanent in that shear nuts have a nut on top of the cone shaped nut that shears off when tensioned.

I have been made aware of stories of whole roof racks and accessories being removed and you don't have to go to far to hear a first hand story so I will use a combination of shear nuts and a mixture of Allen head and Philips headed fasteners to slow and aggravate thieves. Another good idea I came across was to drill right through the bolt and nut and install a roll pin that would need to be punched out if they discover it
FollowupID: 803990

Sponsored Links