Gt. Alpine Rd/Omeo hwy

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 22:23
ThreadID: 105408 Views:1738 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am interested in taking my van over the B500, - Omeo Hwy next April from Lakes Entrance to Wangaratta.
What are the road conditions generally?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 23:49

Saturday, Dec 07, 2013 at 23:49
B500 is The Great Alpine Road. It's a wonderful drive. A major road, sealed all the way but windey and steep, especially around Mt Hotham.

The Omeo Hwy (C543) runs from Omeo to near Tallangatta is narrower, mostly sealed, some gravel IIRC, check with others, steep and windey in the alpine sections, levels out in the Mitta Mitta Valley. Another beautiful drive. Fabulous camping.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522727

Reply By: Member Bushy 04(VIC) - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 08:38

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 08:38
A real good drive as long as you take it slow and easy as it is very widing how ever there are some great spots to stop if you want.
Bushy.
AnswerID: 522735

Reply By: Shany - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 12:31

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 12:31
In April we did the same trip, loved it there is a beautiful little town at the bottom of the mountain coming the bright side of mt hotham, Harrietville , beautiful. up the road from there is a great little camping spot, smoko creek, fire pits, terrible long drops, large area, there was 3 separate groups in there when we stopped in for the night, then through to bright, what can I say, absolutely beautiful, being autum the colours were amazing.

Didn't think much of wangaratta, but it served its purpose, restock supplies, a couple loads of washing in the laundromat, in the servo, killed to birds with one stone, we then went through to yarrawonga, loved it on the river, plenty of fire wood, plenty of room, could have stayed for another week, but the little thing called reared it's ugly head. We then went to bendigo via shepparton, then to Echuca back onto the highway through to albury stay on the Hume weir, however it is no camping now, but we got in late left early, through to Henry, wagga and up the highway to Canberra
AnswerID: 522746

Reply By: Member -Shakeejob - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 20:54

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 20:54
Thanks to those that responded. Im looking forward to the trip.
AnswerID: 522819

Sponsored Links