Transmission movement in later model Toyota Hilux.

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 18:53
ThreadID: 105417 Views:2856 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Had a little trip of about 200ks in a late model Hilux D4d, and was very impressed with its performance overall, But in saying that I was amazed at the amount of movement of the motor and gearbox on their mounts, if I wasn't convinced by the owner it was all good, I would have said theres something horrible wrong .. with this thing!....No vibration,shudder, or anything else to indicate a problem, So this must be just normal with these?, sure as hell looks wrong when you see the gear lever move
to a somewhat bad angle ,. every gear change ...lol. .. Anyone noticed this with them??

Cheers Axle.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 19:52

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 19:52
OHH what a feeling!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 522763

Follow Up By: Axle - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 20:18

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 20:18
If it was mine Mike , The feeling would not be good!..LOL.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 803921

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 22:29

Sunday, Dec 08, 2013 at 22:29
Axle,

I don't know if the D4D Hilux is the same as the D4D Prado, but .... The Prado has "active engine mounts". A vacuum is supplied to the engine mounts to control the stiffness and hence the vibration transmitted to the vehicle. The system is controlled by the ECU. There is quite a bit of movement in the H-L shift lever, especially in low range, not so much in high range. I have an automatic. I suspect the torque converter smooths out a lot of the movement in high range.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522769

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:34

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:34
As the expectation for quite and smooth increases, there is no option but to install softer engine mounts.

The gear stick moving is nothing new.

Even in my 03 hilux 4wd, its wise to be carefull where you put ya left knee when driving off road.....lest it get a pretty solid whack from the gear stick from time to time.

The handbrakes RAV has very soft engine mounts and the gear stick moves quite a bit......under certain circumstances.....like shuddering due to poor clucth control and too little berries....the mounts will bottom and make quite disconcerting noises.

But that is the price you pay for the nice quiet smooth drive.

cheers
AnswerID: 522830

Follow Up By: Axle - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 17:29

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 17:29
Fair enough mate,..just can't keep up with it all,..lol.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 804037

Sponsored Links