12 Volt espresso maker

Submitted: Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 16:38
ThreadID: 105430 Views:4276 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering whether any coffee lovers have tried one of these, and if so how well they work and how much power they draw.

http://store.amodomio.com.au/coffee-machines/espressgo.html

Might have to get one for the van when we can't use the generator, and don't have 240v power. I think they are around $200.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 16:57

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 16:57
Heather,

In your link there's a link to the instructions and in there they say it draws 140 watts at 12 volts, which is 20 watts more than your standard ciggy/aux power outlet.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 522805

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:01

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:01
Hi Frank,
Well that's interesting. So you are saying that the normal 12 outlet wont power it? It seems weird when it is supposedly made for using in the car or van 12v outlet.
Thanks,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803975

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:17

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:17
Hi Heather,

No, I'm not saying that, but I think it is marginal.

It will be pulling nearly 12 amps. Standard wiring is notoriously skinny and at 12 amps there's bound to be a voltage drop which will reduce performance unless the appliance has been designed with that in mind.

Also, ciggy plugs/sockets are prone to letting the initial firm connection get loose. Then the plug and socket can heat up and even melt.

If I were to buy one I'd ensure the socket in the car or van was wired with decent wire (5mm, Narva rates theirs at 25 amps), and I'd replace the socket and plug with Merrits which have a positive engagement.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803977

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:33

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:33
Hey, Heather,

Our vehicle and camper is already wired as above, so you have solved a little Christmas gift problem for me. My wife, who always pines for real coffee when we are travelling, will be very happy (I hope :-))

Thanks for telling us about it.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803980

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:45

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:45
It will be available mid December through the Web store, Frank. I had a reply to an email I sent this morning.
I will investigate the wiring in our van and car further and see what the auto electrician says for us before I go and buy one.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803982

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:13

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:13
Yep I like the sound of that, shame about the price and I'm sure the cost of the coffee capsules will be more than whole beans, but as with the Nespresso thingos everyones got now, the capsules apparently taste really good so it would save me lots of hassle as I take my beans whole, then grind on the go (hook standard 240V grinder into inverter and blitz for a few seconds) to ensure our coffee is fresh. We scrimp on many comforts when camping, but not the coffee ;) I am interested to see if anyone that has one replies.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 522808

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:31

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 17:31
Hi Michelle,

I have just had an answer to an email I sent the company and apparently they go on sale mid December so maybe no one will have one yet. I saw it in the latest edition of 'Great Walks' magazine which I subscribe to.

I have a small Nespresso, bought for the caravan, and it can be powered by generator (if I am desperate). After my breakfast coffee (caffeinated) I only drink decaf and Nespresso decaf intenzo is the only palatable decaf I can find, and although I also have a Saeco in my home kitchen which grinds the beans and then makes the coffee, I still use the Nespresso for my decaf.

Luckily I have space for two coffee makers in my kitchen!

As you say, the pods aren't cheap however if the coffee is good I don't mind. I only drink black.

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 803979

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 21:41

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 21:41
You can buy one now at Kogan for $149

12v espresso
FollowupID: 803997

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 18:45

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 18:45
On the subject of coffee.

At home I use one of Woolworths capsule machines. It does a good job, but we don't take it with us in the van.

I'm going to buy an Aeropress and try that and see how it goes.

Aeropress

However, I usually just get the Nescafe out and make instant coffee because it's just easy. I have recently tried Carte Noire coffee:

It taste really good for an instant coffee. It's currently going out at half price at IGA supermarkets in WA. It ends up being marginally more than the discounted price for a 500gram tin of Nescafe.

Mrs Bush doesn't drink coffee so I can't bring myself to splash out big money on expensive machines (and I'm becoming a major tightarse as I get older).

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 522816

Reply By: racinrob - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 21:45

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 21:45
I like a mug of coffee, the 25-30 ml as quoted hardly wets the bottom of the cup.

Rob.
AnswerID: 522823

Follow Up By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 08:48

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 08:48
I'm with you...a lot of expense and effort to make a piddling little coffee.
what's wrong with the good old percolator on the gas fire and have a decent cup full??

FollowupID: 804009

Reply By: dazza62 - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 00:05

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2013 at 00:05
Save your batteries and look at one of these.

ROK Expresso Maker

Only downfall we find is you need to grind your beans in advance.
AnswerID: 522836

Sponsored Links