Diesel Gas Lock off Solenoids not Opening

Submitted: Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 20:43
ThreadID: 105436 Views:1432 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Diesel Gas Australia sytem which uses Lovato equipment fitted to a 4.2 Diesel Patrol ute . I have established that the lock off solenoids are not opening and by apply power direct to the solenoid I have established these both work. By applying power to the tank shut off solenoid power source at the tank end I have established the integrity of the wiring back to the solenoid in the engine bay. There is power at the cab on off switch so the issue is between the switch and the shut off solenoids.

Something is not allowing power to get to the shut off solenoids as I was wondering if anyone could pass on some troubleshooting ideas. I am just dealing with the wiring but I can appreciate others would advise me to wait until a technician can look at it some time after Xmas but I would like to hear some ideas on what to check or a explanation on the wiring path as I am not sure whether something else is holding back the power supply. The wire to the brake from the switch I can see is still connected and I assume that would send a message to shut the gas off when the brake is applied
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - kwk56pt - Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:00

Monday, Dec 09, 2013 at 22:00
I did find this on the net. I think mine gets its info from the alternator but I don't remember seeing a relay so I will check those alternater wires tomorrow and look for a relay. Mine has a computer looking after the gas behind the glovebox but the explanation below has given me a couple of clues to check out.

Any input would be appreciated.......Peter

Lock Off Relay

" The lock off solenoid is supplied power by a Lock off relay. A Common lock off relay takes it's input from the ignition power and the coil negative (tacho) output. Upon the ignition switch first being switched on, the relay will power the solenoid. The valve will open.. Then when the engine is first turned over the relay will see the input from the tacho. It then knows that the engine is being turned over. as soon as the input from the tacho ceases, the power will drop and the lock off valve will close, thus protecting the driver from gas leaking in the event of a crash."
AnswerID: 522825

Sponsored Links