Colorado 12v outlet

Hi All,

Happy New Year

Thought I would see if somebody here may have had similar problem before I go to dealer.

My 2013 Colorado has three 12v outlets, two in the front dash and one in the rear. Last trip we went on the right hand front and rear outlets stopped working. We were running the fridge off them at the time. The left hand outlet still works and the fridge worked when we plugged it in to it, but we put the fridge onto our separate battery in case it caused the problem.
Do these Colorado's have two separate fuses for the 12v volt outlets? The fuse box "map" for the small under dash fuse box dosnt show any nor does the under bonnet one.
I checked the rear of the front outlets and they dont appear to have any wires loose/missing.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 08:12

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 08:12
Cigarette plugs were never designed for constant relatively high current flows like a fridge requires and the standard wiring in a vehicle is rarely of sufficient size to run a fridge either.
Far better to install dedicated wiring direct from the battery to the required accessories and use proper good quality plugs and sockets like the Merrit/Hella or Anderson types.
With late model vehicles where the vehicles electronics control the alternator output they can often not supply enough voltage/current to charge batteries and run accessories.
AnswerID: 523745

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 08:24

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 08:24
I don't know the specifics about the wiring for the 3 acc sockets, but most vehicles with two sockets have them on the same circuit sharing the one 10A fuse.

If your ACC fuse is intact, I'd suspect the socket.
Some OEM cig sockets have a thermal fuse built into the socket. So that if the socket gets hot from high current (and poor contacts), the thermal fuse will melt and render the socket useless. Its designed to prevent fire.

What sort of fridge? 3-way fridges will always draw too much power for a cig socket. A modern engel will only draw 2.8A when cycling, so is usually OK. A Danfoss compressor fridge will pull at least 5A when cycling, so is more likely to cause a problem like yours.

Like Peter says above, get a higher power socket fitted, or an inline plug, such as an Anderson plug.
AnswerID: 523746

Follow Up By: Croc nsw - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 09:03

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 09:03
Thanks Phil, its a 1 yr old Engel, 40l.
FollowupID: 805302

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 09:58

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 09:58
At 2.8A draw, you shouldn't have a problem running your engel on a 12V cig socket. If your vehicle fuses are OK, I'd let the dealer sort it.
FollowupID: 805305

Reply By: johno59 - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 08:49

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 08:49
Hello col, I know very little about electrics but visited a Auto elec and they sought my problem of running a deep cycle battery in the caravan.They installed a dedicated heavy duty wiring from the car to the dc battery and problem solved see an expert!,
AnswerID: 523747

Reply By: Garry E1 - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 11:32

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 11:32
I own a 2000 Jackaroo & I do not have problem running a 40ltr Engel fridge from the the rear 12v plug. From past experience all car/4wd makers change things around from one model to the next model. If you are to remove the power outlet attachment & check the rear the attachment it may have a thin copper wire & by now maybe in 2 pieces. If this the case you will have to purchase another one that has a thicker copper plate at the rear. It does not matter what size they are this copper wire or plate is your fuse. Some car manufacturers only put in a thin copper wire and it is not heavier enough to charge a mobile phone.
If you are not sure seek the advice from a auto electrician.
AnswerID: 523755

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 12:24

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 12:24
Check out the Cigar and Acc fuse C12/20A

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 523810

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 15:57

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 15:57
Also,

If the outlets are switched, ie don't normally work with ignition turned
off look , check to see if a relay is involved.

I checked the schematics but my service manual only goes to the 2012 model and it only shows two outlets.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805382

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 15:58

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 15:58
Yet again,

Is there any thing else in the car that's not working that may be associated with the power outlet circuit?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 523820

Reply By: Croc nsw - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 07:56

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 07:56
Update - thanks everyone for your help and input.

It seems the 12v acc system runs two fuses, one for the left front socket and one for the right front and rear socket.

Found one fuse blown, replaced and all ok.

Next job is to install 2nd battery, prob under the tub as there is not much room under the bonnet. Has anyone done this type of install and maybe offer some advice or tips?

Thanks again
AnswerID: 524075

Sponsored Links