Condition of unsealed road Injune to Taroom

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 11:41
ThreadID: 105653 Views:3347 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
We are in the planning stage for a trip Brisbane to Carnarvon National Park. Visiting Expedition National Park.
We need some advice on the condition of the unsealed road Injune to Taroom, passing Kevington and Pony Hills i.e. Is it suitable for off road campers, do we need any permits.
Thanks in advance
Kev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 12:54

Thursday, Jan 02, 2014 at 12:54
Kev,

This road is being upgraded by Maranoa Regional Council, not sure how much they have completed as yet

details from the web -
Maranoa Regional Council is also managing roadwork designs for roads north of Roma towards Injune on behalf of Santos. The following works are being designed with construction expected to commence in the second half of 2013:
•Widening and reconstruction of Injune-Taroom Road from the Carnarvon Highway intersection for approximately 24 km.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 523757

Follow Up By: Member - Big A - Sunday, Jan 05, 2014 at 08:55

Sunday, Jan 05, 2014 at 08:55
That would be correct - our son works for Santos and told me about that a few days ago. There is a lot of gas development going on in that area and there could be a lot of heavy vehicles. Santos vehicles are restricted in their speeds, but contractors could be doing their usual thing in rented vehicles.

Wet season coming up (hopefully), so the road may or may not be open - depends when the OP is travelling. Best to check either end, but you already know that. Also, sometimes roads are officially "closed" when they are usable - officialdom is sometimes a bit behind reality. (But do not drive past a "Road Closed" sign - that is a no no.)

Cheers,
"A".
FollowupID: 805508

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 07:12

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 07:12
Have travelled that road, its ok when dry. Tried it once a day after rain and had to turn around and retreat back to the black top.
AnswerID: 523788

Reply By: Kev - Member - Wynnum - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 11:57

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 11:57
Thank you gents now we can continue planning
Kev
AnswerID: 523809

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 13:41

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 13:41
The road from Injune to Taroom was in pretty good condition when I was through there last year.

The section of Expedition which you go through is a newly created Resource and Conservation Park with no facilities. To get to the real National Park you will need to turn north a few miles past the Dawson River. This road will take you up through Glen Horton Stn to the turn off to Robertson Gorge. If you go a bit further you will see "Ruined Castle" on the RHS and a bit further is the old Ready Creek Stn which is supposed to have some aboriginal paints somewhere which we never found.

Past Ready Creek the road turns to a one lane black soil track which is impassable in wet weather.
FollowupID: 805377

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 16:19

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 16:19
Kev,

I am up that way this week for work so if I have time I might drive that way to check it out for you :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 805384

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 18:30

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 18:30
In July last year, 50 Motor Homes [some were 5'ers, 1 Volvo bus 1967, 2c'vans most were normal MH] travelled from Taroom to Injure, without a great deal of trouble. We kept going to Birdsville and up the Oonadatta track, most made it OK.

PeterH
AnswerID: 523990

Sponsored Links