Map of Barrington Tops Area

Submitted: Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 17:07
ThreadID: 105668 Views:2178 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Who produces the best paper map of the Barrington area? I am trying to identify and locate the position of the best features of the area to draw up an itinerary. Nothing that I have gives mw the detail that I want. The EO Topo map in not bad for roads and tracks, including those that are EO treks but on my Nexus 7 with Memory Map the location of features is a bit sparse. I don't want to buy new software at this point but a detailed paper map would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: philip t jones - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 17:29

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 17:29
I think mid north coast forestry map or it might be the lower north coast map gives a fair bit of coverage I havent got my maps with me at the moment, they are available at any decent tourist info in the area. or national parks office, they are put out by the forestry NSW or what ever they are called these days.

Phil
AnswerID: 523823

Follow Up By: philip t jones - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 17:54

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 17:54
www.mapshop.com.au/ess/shop.php?aisle=Forestry+Maps+-+NSW?

If you can get the link to work its the lower north coast map you want
FollowupID: 805389

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 18:01

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 18:01
Also available from the EO shop here
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 805390

Follow Up By: philip t jones - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 18:05

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 18:05
You learn somethingevery day I didnt know that
FollowupID: 805391

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 18:22

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 18:22
here you go Kev: probably the best one - might well be available thru exploroz but if not:

http://www.mapworld.com.au/products/wollemi-national-park-hema-map
AnswerID: 523827

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 04, 2014 at 12:31

Saturday, Jan 04, 2014 at 12:31
Thanks Folks for your input. The Lower North NSW map looks to be the go as it includes areas across to the coast which we also plan to visit. I spent the first 15 years of my life near Bulahdelah and was almost evacuated to Barrington during WWII, so this will a bit of a nostalgic journey.

I had not thought of using the EO shop for such maps as I like to pick things like maps up and have a look at them before I buy them and I find the shop to be a bit short on detail sometimes. But they will get this order.

Cheers, Kevin

Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 523862

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 21:26

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 21:26
G'day Kevin,

we were up there from New Years Day.

We found the Lower North Coast Forest Map was okay for touring but not a lot of detail on it.
I would say the Hema map would be a better map to have if you need a bit more detail.

It's a great part of the country and plenty of room. Even though it is the middle of the Christmas holidays we camped at Horse Swamp with only one other small group.

If you have the time you should check out the pubs on the western side of the range for a good feed and cold drink.

Have a good drive.
Steve
FollowupID: 805582

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 22:06

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 22:06
Thanks for that Steve. We will be there in about two weeks, travelling to Barrington from Walcha. Conditions permitting we want to cross the range to Scone. I have been doing research using the NSW National park online maps to identify the features. Waypoints in the EO trek coincide with the points of interest on that road. We want to spend a night (at least) on top, probably at Polblue camp ground. So if I can work out how to load the route that I have made up from the POIs in the EO trek into my Garmin GPS I should be cooking with gas, as they say.
Very much looking forward to seeing the area for the first time.
Cheers, Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 805585

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 19:14

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 19:14
Enjoy your trip Kevin.

It's really good the amount of information we can gather before we head off these days.

I reckon it makes it hard to wait before heading off, I'm always keen to get out there.

None of the camp sites we came across we overly crowded.
A couple of weeks will be the lead up to Australia Day. I'm not sure how that will affect crowds but it's a big area.

Hoo roo,
Steve
FollowupID: 805694

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 20:09

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2014 at 20:09
Planning is half the fun. We will be trough Barrington by the long weekend. We are booked into the caravan park at Katoomba over the Australia Day weekend. I only booked a few days ago and was surprised that I had no problems getting in. But I am watching the forecasts. Weather Channel is currently predicting 37C at Barrington tops on 17th January which is the extent of their 10 day projections today, and we plan to be there two days later.
Cheers, Kevin

Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 805697

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 21:41

Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 21:41
37 degrees on the 17th could mean it'll be 17 degrees two days later.

We spend a bit of time mucking around near the old Zig Zag Railway.
There's an interesting drive out to the Glow Worm Tunnels if you don't mind a short walk.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve

FollowupID: 805769

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 21:11

Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 at 21:11
Just to round it all off, my NSW Lower North Coast Forests map arrived today. It is a rather big piece of paper. It will almost be usable as an extra bed sheet if we strike a cold night. :):)
It contains a great deal of usable information and shows locations but some of the type is a bit small for my ageing eyes. But in daylight it should be OK. If I see the Hema map for Barrington and Wollemi NPs along the way I will probably buy it. I don't have detail for Wollemi at the moment and we plan a day trip there from Katoomba.
Thank you to everyone who commented.
Cheers, Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 524175

Sponsored Links