Re. fantasic ABC TV Programme Desert Heart

Submitted: Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 15:31
ThreadID: 10567 Views:2008 Replies:7 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
I missed most of the ABC TV programme Wild Australasia Episode 2 Desert Heart put to air in S.A. on Sunday February 15 at 7.30 p.m.
What I did see was absolutely fabulous.
Unfortunately the ABC are unable to provide a copy.
Did anyone out there happen to record this episode and is willing to send me a copy for private use? All expenses and trouble guaranteed to be reimbursed. Would be most grateful.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jeff-wa - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 15:41

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 15:41
I only say the last 10-15 minutes as well, looked absolutally fantastic, so dissapointed I missed it, the filming was just amazing, some of the shots they had! The information was good too.
AnswerID: 46901

Reply By: ceredig - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 16:22

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 16:22
yeah I also missed episode two on the 15th Feb, but I did record episode one on the 8th.
Any one want to swap?
AnswerID: 46904

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 16:33

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 16:33
It was a fantastic program although I only saw the last half last night but I did see Dalhousie Springs, the flooded river system (that's what it looks like from the air right now), saw the actual Warburton Groove and dry Lake Eyre and wet Lake Eyre. I did not know that hardiheads flourished in Dalhousie Springs until last night. This was filmed in the 2000 floods. It is a very good representation of the real thing. Can't help with the video as I only got the last 30 minutes on tape.
AnswerID: 46907

Follow Up By: Member - David - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:50

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:50
Ruth,
I am sitting in my dingy little office, where a stingy
Ray of sunligth struggles feebly down between the houses tall,
And the foetid air and gritty of the dusty dirty city
Through the open window floating spreads its foulness over all.

And in place of lowing cattle, I can hear the fiendish rattle
Of the tramways and the buses making hurry down the street
And the languange uninviting of the gutter children fighting,
Comes fitfully and faintly through the ceaseless tramp of feet

And the hurrying people daunt me and their pallid faces haunt
me
As they shoulder one another in their rush and nervous haste
And I hate it, hate it ,hate it

That show reminded me of our trip through the desert last October when it rained at Peoppels corner and we were nearly stuck in the desert, a minor flood came down the Diamontina.
The drive from Peoppels to Birdsville was very challenging and the desert was absolutely beautiful and I loved it ,loved it ,loved it.

My Appologies to A( Banjo ) Patterson
Cheers David
FollowupID: 309024

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:38

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:38
Hey David, how clever are you? Did you remember it or look it up you little cheaty-weaty? Were we still here when you got here - I think we'd just gone east, hadn't we? I just love it when other people love the Desert. You know even when we aren't here anymore (working) we are probably going to get a house here and spend our winters playing out there. Isn't it the scariest thing driving out of the desert when it's raining. Not the dunes, they are easy but the swales are so sticky and wet and the road to Birdsville - you can do the best 360's without even trying - they topped that road with the worst stuff. It's trying to storm again today - only b....y 49 at the moment. Stinking. THUNDER - I can hear it above the roar of the a/c. If you are as old as me and went to school in Queensland then you would know that poem and others by heart.
FollowupID: 309048

Follow Up By: Member - David - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:25

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:25
Ruth,
Yes, I have the Queensland Education Department and my late father to thank for a love of all types of poetry. It's funny how little things that you see and do will cause long forgotten stanza's to just pop into your head.I have to confess I remembered most of it but I did have to look it up.
When we drove out of the desert we were responsible for some of those 360's, and I remember saying to others in our group at the time,
I bet the locals are not going to love us for how we were rutting up the road , however it couldn't be helped.
Having grown up in the country I know what a great excitment the rains and a local flood can cause in the community and so I look forward to your regular up-dates on this forum.
Cheers David
FollowupID: 309141

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:36

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:36
'I must go down to the sea again, the lonely sea and the sky' - did you have an Anthology book and in beautiful handwriting write the poem on one side of the page and then do lovely drawings and colouring in on the opposite side? I was at a one teacher school in the western suburbs of Brisbane and our Head loved the English language (he had a cane too, and it was called Mr Tickler!). Every time we visited one of our Grandmothers - the one we had to call Mater - we would have to recite poetry and play the piano for her. I guess that's what kids did then. I still love poetry, loved Shakespeare (thought Keats was a real sissy) but especially love Australian verse - how could you not?
Don't stress about cutting up the roads doing 360's - didn't you learn to drive when you were 12 or 13 doing doughnuts on the claypans? Someone had been out yesterday on the road to Inside Track and Big Red doing wheelies (lucky things). Thanks for bringing about some happy memories - my cousins hated having to do their "pieces" but I enjoyed it (my snivelling little brother didn't have to do it either now I think about it). Enjoy.These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309153

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:59

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:59
You all missed an exceptional story about our great land but sorry i didn't tape it but knowing the ABC it will be available in the ABC shop after the show finishes. can't wait for next weekRegards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 46936

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 22:41

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 22:41
Arkay, haven't seen it yet but think I have it recorded!Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 46972

Follow Up By: Arkay - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:26

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:26
JohnR. Please let us all know if you did record Episode 2, AND if you are willing to do a copy/copies. From the above replies, and there there are bound to be a number of "lookers" too, there may be quite a demand for a helpful person.

One of the curiosity thing about the programme is that I didn't see a single vehicle or 4WD track in any of the pictures, just beautiful deserts, rivers, etc.
FollowupID: 308987

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:54

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:54
missed the first couple of minutes as it turned out, but a nice clear satellite feed with surround soundRegards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
FollowupID: 309084

Reply By: MrBitchi - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:39

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:39
Arkay,
It's allready advertised in the ABC shop in DVD and Video.

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=725092

AnswerID: 47031

Follow Up By: Arkay - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:47

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:47
Ah, thanks Mr Bitchi
Well, I'll be off to the ABC shop to order one in person then, with that product ID in hand.
As will be others from this forum I'm sure. It is well worth having. Pass it around the 4wd clubs etc.
Just proves that the left hand doesn't know what the richt is doing. The person I spoke to on the phone yesterday said not listed, not available.
FollowupID: 309005

Follow Up By: Arkay - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:24

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:24
(After lunch break)
Been there, done that, got the DVD $50.95 (reckon it is well worth it as one of my occasional "indulgances"). All 6 episodes = 294 minutes DVD running time (that's right!), plus a special bonus disc.
Would you believe there was a huge display there (in the Adelaide Myer Centre)? You had to push past it to get into the shop.
Remember, "the person I spoke to (at the ABC shop) yesterday said not listed, not available". Thanks Mr Bitchi for steering me in the right direction.
FollowupID: 309020

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:47

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:47
My Pleasure. Will have to go and get a copy myself.
FollowupID: 309023

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 19:55

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 19:55
I just saw the ad for the DVD at 6:30 tonight and am going to order one tomorrow. Next episode looks good in the promo also. It's the best I've ever seen.
AnswerID: 47101

Follow Up By: Arkay - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 08:19

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 08:19
Yes Ruth. We watched some of the DVD last night. Anyone on this forum who doesn't beg borrow or steal a copy is not a true 4WD Aussie enthusiast, just a mechanical jock junkie.
You will not be disappointed with your copy.
Heather & I are "doing" the Kimberleys May/June this year and back via the Tanami Road, but may yet get to Birdsville late in the season. Was up at Innamincka a couple of years ago just after the big flood, Adelaide to Broken Hill, Packsaddle, Tibooburra, Cameron Corner and then had to go up via QLD due closed road to Merty Merty, and still got rained in at Burkes' grave for 3 days. The National Parks Ranger tat Innamincka at the time was a lady, I think she was called Christine. The "town square" was one big muddy puddle. We were with/helping Graham (surname witheld in this forum) who fixes the Outback CB & Parks radios & repeaters, and may be known to you. Drives big white Troopy, antennas everywhere, looks like an Australian hedgehog (would that be an echidna?), the Troopy does anyway, not Graham.
FollowupID: 309134

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:43

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:43
Arkay, the lady ranger at Innamincka Christine is now a wildlife officer based in Mt Isa - nowadays she has to go to the Gulf and deal with crocodiles. Christine is a really nice person and was an excellent Simpson Desert Ranger - SA NP should be sorry they've lost her! Don't know the hedgehog - maybe he only does SA? We'll be here late this season - not going on The Ghan now, rather spend the money on the new fishing tinny - probably won't go anywhere until Christmas so hope we will see you.These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309163

Follow Up By: Arkay - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 14:17

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 14:17
Thanks Ruth for the update on Christine. If we ever get to Mt Isa we will look her up. She is a nice person and came & shared a red with us at camp one night (after hours). Even brought her own cup so she didn't catch anything (apart from fish). We sang her a song or two (I am the local bush poet in our group), but I don't think we taught her anything she didn't already know.
We were hoping to make it to Coongie that trip but the rain beat us, so we'll have to go back another day.
FollowupID: 309166

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:23

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:23
Arkay, when you were at Innamincka - was there another woman at the ranger station then, named Robyn? If Christine only drank one red you were lucky. I have Christine's mobile for when you get here. That Robyn - she's around here too!These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309176

Follow Up By: Arkay - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:04

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:04
We knew there was another woman about the place but we never had the pleasure of meeting her, unless we passed each other in the Dick Smith / Australian Geographic renovated Elizabeth Simons Hospital complex , now SA NPWLS Headquarters. It and the loos there were beautifully kept.
Have now checked the date - was mid June 2001. The photo I checked of the Innamincka Hotel is embossed 13/06/2001.
Can't "insert" photos here so can't send you sticky picckys.
FollowupID: 309184

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:38

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:38
Yes that would have been Robyn - she was here for a couple of years and now is in Bedourie. Talking to her last night - I'll tell her how clean her loos were.These are Diamantina Barra
GO HARD OR GO HOME
FollowupID: 309219

Sponsored Links