Military wrap spring problem with 60 series hitting the mount

Submitted: Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 11:03
ThreadID: 105708 Views:1838 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Happy New Year to everyone.

I have an old 60 series which has had ARB springs fitted about 7 years ago, they are the heavy duty version with the opptional extra leaf added.
they have performed well and I have been very happy with them. but last year I had a "clunk" sound develop when the suspension was compressed on dirt tracks and even at times on rough surface bitumen it can be heard.
I looked everywhere and systematically removed sway bar links and shockers to eliminate the noise but in the end found it was coming from the rear of the front springs where the military wrap is hitting the spring hanger from the chassis.
I replaced the bushes as I though this must be the issue, but they were pretty good any how.
these springs also have nylon anti rattle bit over the steel sections that hols the spring pack aligned, and I replaced these also.
while apart I even buffed off the corner of the military wrap as this is where it was hitting as the hanger comes down on an angle (I looked at an old HJ47 and the hangers on this are more square and this problem would not occur in that case)
I have discussed with ARB and even though they helpful, they say they hadn't had this issue before and couldn't offer a solution.
has anyone had this issue ?
does any one have any ideas to help solve this problem?

Regards
Dingo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 12:16

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 12:16
Geoff
I had a 61 and also had ARB springs in it. I know exactly where you mean the angle of the hanger bracket is close.

If it didn't do it before and now does, is it possible the centre bolt is sheared off and that leaf has been allowed to migrate to the rear a little bit, hence the touching.

If Centre bolt is OK but there is still a problem you could enlarge the centre bolt hole ie Elongate that hole in only that leaf on each side, towards the rear of the spring and then reassemble the pack so the leaf is sitting a bit forward of the original position.

Alternatively the wrap is there to catch the axle if the main leaf broke and a careful trimming with a thin grinder wheel at an angle only where it touches would relieve the contact but still retain the catch feature in the event of main leaf breakage.

Small porting grinder and suitable sized stone would do the trick For the hole treatment..

A bloke I worked with used to say "Alligate the hole" and I always think of that as an option.
Done nicely it won't come back to bite you though.

Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 523971

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff 17 - Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 16:53

Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 16:53
Hi Ross M
Thanks for your input.

Your ideas make good sense and I should of considered the centre bot idea myself but mist it. (also would think that ARB "expert" may of too???)

Will dig a bit deeper and see what I find.

Regards
Geoff
FollowupID: 805572

Sponsored Links