Comment: EOTopo

Submitted: Monday, Jan 06, 2014 at 20:49
ThreadID: 105715 Views:1625 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Have just received EOTopo and loaded the whole of Australia map file to OziExplorer Map directory.
Love the single seamless map feature, but have noticed a lack of distance between towns detail that is normally common to any map.
Is this a future addition that will be eventually added?
Ozi's distance between waypoints is not an option as this distance is "as the crow flies" rather than the true road distance.
At present, this lack of distance reference is a distinct negative to what appears to be an otherwise good product.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew D. - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 09:54

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 09:54
Topographic maps are not all about roads. Topographic maps are about terrain first and foremost. Roads, railway lines, man made structures like dams are secondary and make up part of the topography. Topographic maps never have distance markers. Topography is about the graphic representation of the surface features of a place or region on a map, indicating their relative positions and elevations.
AnswerID: 524020

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 10:15

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 10:15
Hi Andrew,

I understand what you are saying but EOTopo is also perported to be a replacement for the Geoscience Natmap set which certainly has distances identified.

Distance must be a major requirement for any traveller using off road mapping to navigate along a route.

The use to replace the Natmap set was the main reason I committed to EOTopo.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 805600

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 13:56

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2014 at 13:56
It is on the updates list however due to the amount of roads updates in the schedule we opted to keep them off as a great number on the base data were wrong when looking at the actual new and updated roads. Hence we are running a recalculation on these once the bulk of the main road updates are done.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 524038

Sponsored Links