Rear GU Door Rattel

Submitted: Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 17:05
ThreadID: 10572 Views:1908 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
hello i just bought a new GU Patrol and there is a rattel in the interior rear i gave it back to nissan and they couldnet fix it it is driving me insane does any one know what it could be.

i think it could be ther rear door adjustments how do i adjust the doors there are so many adjustment points.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 17:13

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 17:13
Is it still under warranty? If so take it back and get them to fix it and keep on doing it till it is fixed!!!!!!!!

Brian
AnswerID: 46916

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 17:30

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 17:30
Brent,
I have a 2000 GU and the large of the 2 back doors needs to be slammed hard to get it to seat properly. I was also concerned about premature wear of the hinges due to the weight of the spare. This concern, coupled with my desire to carry an extra spare and have a stronger rear bar led me to purchase an Opposite Lock dual wheel carrier assembly. Highly recommend it.
Also, check that your jack is securely mounted and not rattling etc. There isn't much inside the back door that can rattle, but I did pull the plugs out that control the interior light switches on both back cargo doors. They often failed to turn the lights off and I can see no reason to have them connected.....usually if you get out at night to get something out of the back, then the driver/passenger door may be open anyway, so the interior lights will be on.
In my case too, I removed the interior trim off the larger door and have made up a hinged/fold-down bench using existing holes. Handy for a quick roadside cuppa stop or whatever.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 46917

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:01

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:01
Roachie,
FYI I have the same issue with the doors on my GU, no rattle but they take a good push to seat properly, plus the doors won't lock if the door isn't properly seated, the interior light stays on and that annoying red door in the dash console stays on. I tried resetting the doors with little success. Nissan told me that resetting the doors wasn't covered by the warranty. Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 308909

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 17:54

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 17:54
There is a knob in the middle of the dash, keep turning it to the right when driving until noise / rattle stops. On some modles a switch with a arrow pointing up ,when pushed a few times will do the same thing.

Wayne
AnswerID: 46920

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:27

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:27
I too have a "rattle" coming from the back at various speeds. Its something in the roof / lining at the back and sounds different to what you are describing. I have traced it to the roof lining and it appears to stop when a hand is placed on the lining. As I have a cargo barrier, I plan (but haven't got around to it yet) to put a packer on the cargo barrier to the roof lining.

Initially I wondered if perhaps the roof crossbrace/support was not properly spot welded to the roof and was vibrating. I haven't got around to removing the lining to have a look.

My rattle does not appear to originate from the rear doors like yours. I have a fitted a spacer for a 285/75 tyre + worklight +HF autotune antenae and there is a fair bit of extra weight there. Have been keeping an eye out for "issues" but touch wood, all is OK back there.

Cheers

MarkNissan 2003 GU 3.0TD
Windsor Rapid Offroad
AnswerID: 46927

Follow Up By: macandjen - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 19:39

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 19:39
Captain, I have the same problem wityh my 2003 GU. I have been advised it is a factory problem with the roof lining coming adrift and is a warranty item. The words of the Nissan service guy were similar too "We have had a few of them it is a problem from manufacture"

Take it to Nissan and get them to fix it.
FollowupID: 308920

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:15

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:15
Thanks macandjen, I have the 10,000 service coming up shortly, will get it done then.

Cheers

markNissan 2003 GU 3.0TD
Windsor Rapid Offroad
FollowupID: 308924

Follow Up By: Brent.n - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 22:52

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 22:52
Thanks Macandjen
I will call nissan tommorow and book it in hopefully this is the problem, i love the car but not the rattel, it mainly occures when i go over bumps
FollowupID: 308951

Follow Up By: Brent.n - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 23:01

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 23:01
Captain heve you changed any of your suspension in your car, how does it go with all the extra weight of your bull bar and whinch while carring the van
FollowupID: 308955

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 00:02

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 00:02
Hi Brent.n , still got stock suspension. Front end is fine, just typical Nissan stiff dampening (but great off-road). Backend sags a bit with the van on, but only about 25mm (~160kg ball weight + extras in back like engels etc..).

Plan to get airbags for the back end when funds allow. I had 300lb rear springs in my old 80 series and while they were great for towing, a bit too stiff for the daily grind. Will probably add 2" lift and new shocks down the track, but missus already reckons I have spent way too much on a new vehicle !!!

Cheers

MarkNissan 2003 GU 3.0TD
Windsor Rapid Offroad
FollowupID: 308968

Reply By: Member Eric - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:29

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:29
Brent , I had similar problem with a GU that towed a horse float , it was a crack on the inner panel that had brocken . We didnt find it untill the crach came throught to the outside .

Case 2

remover rear door trim to find part of the lock mechanism had come off and was hitting the door skin

Case 3

Rear doors were found not closing properly and was only on the first stage of the lock , it was all fine after some adjustment

these are 3 seperate incidents on 3 diffrent vehiclesVenus Bay
AnswerID: 46928

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:52

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:52
Just turn the radio up like i do as iv'ed tried for 3 years to stop my rattle to no avail.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 46933

Reply By: Peter Guy - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:56

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 18:56
I found the number plate caused a rattle and I stopped it by placing rubber backing between the plate and housing.
Cheers P Guy.
AnswerID: 46935

Reply By: joc45 - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 21:08

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 21:08
NIssan fixed my rattle under warranty, but it came back later - drove me nuts. I was able to fix it by adusting the top and bottom catches fixed to the body. Big Philips driver needed. I found that the lower door catch needed to go in a bit and the upper catch was not locking properly. This top catch not locking was the main source of the squeak. This can be checked by pulling on the top of the door, and seeing if it moves in/out or not.
Also I found that inside the large door, a section of double-skin was chafing between the two skins (detected when pushing hard in the centre of the large door, causing a loud creaking noise). Managed to force a thin sheet of plastic between the two sheets of metal, and creaking stopped. But the main source was the adjustment of the doors. This also affects the interior light switch.
But really, if it's under warranty, if the bloody dealer won't/can't fix it, send a blister off to Nissan Aust.
Gerry.
AnswerID: 46954

Sponsored Links