Offroad or Outback camper?

Most of our touring is on road with pop top campers but we are thinking of doing the Birdsville Track one day. Do people think that an offroader would be up to this - or is an outback camper necessary? We are thinking maybe of going for the offroad Jellybean camper (www.jellybeancampers.com.au).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 07:26

Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 07:26
We did the drive in 2009 and although we loved it, the track was not a track, just a good dirt road, and an easy drive. Heaps of other vehicles on the road from four wheel drives to small sedans. Kevin
AnswerID: 524189

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 09:56

Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 09:56
Kris and Kev
Last year I bought a new Cameron Camper Trailer. I went on a trip to Cape York. Of the 6 trailers on the trip 3 broke. I had no problems with mine. If you want a good solid camper trailer that is easy to erect have a look at it. The link below takes you to a video of a child setting up the camper trailer.

http://www.cameroncampers.com.au/video-3/

Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 805789

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 08:34

Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 08:34
Hi Steve,

Couple of pics to help your decision:

Provided your trailer is in good condition and driven to the conditions your offroader should be OK. The track will have some corrugations here and there though.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 524196

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:38

Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:38
The problem with roads like the Birdsville track is their variability. Most of the time they are fine. Get significant rain and they change their character faster than a politician after an election win.
We did the Gibb River Rd last year and it was no problem at all and lots of Jayco Ouback popups were there and doing fine. We did the same road a few years earlier and broke every shockie on the vehicle. It was diabolical.
Generally the Birdsville is easy if you take it easy, but every now and again....
AnswerID: 524208

Sponsored Links