Woodgate beach tourist park as against morton island,

Submitted: Friday, Jan 10, 2014 at 20:18
ThreadID: 105764 Views:2385 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we were all set to head over to morton island for week with our camper trailer to rest and relax do a bit of fishing etc, then seen the price for the ferry, $436 and then camping fees and permits,so we are heading to woodgate beach, looks the part what is everyone 'sviews on it, is the fishing ok up there,
Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 09:24

Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 09:24
Woodgate Beach is a great spot - quiet but good facilities -well stocked shop, good meals at friendly bowls club and a fisho truck that visits the caravan park regularly if you don't catch your own! It is a popular area for fishing and people seem to catch them! We found the caravan park very pleasant and well run and it is right opposite the beach. It might be more crowded in school holidays of course. There are good campsites for tents and trailers as well as caravan sites. Enjoy! Lynne and John
AnswerID: 524257

Follow Up By: ian.g - Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 13:08

Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 13:08
I'll second these feelings, one of the best holiday spots on the East coast
Regards
Ian
FollowupID: 805858

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 09:35

Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 09:35
Woodgate Beach is a great spot, Nice cafe at the the caravan park, great meals at the Bowling Club, there is a new facilities block on the beach as well as BBQ's etc, a bike path runs along the beach for a few km. If you go out on the road to Walkers Point there is 4WD beach access and you can drive abt 8km towards Walkers Point and then drive out through the National Park.

At Walkers Point there is a track turning off which basically follows the Burrum River and eventually comes out back on the Childers Road. There are several Picnic areas and facilities along this track.

A couple of things to watch for are any King Tides and Bull sharks along the river.
AnswerID: 524259

Follow Up By: gbc - Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:13

Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:13
The old fishing shack track up the river was gated off when we were there a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if that is permanent or not?

I would have thought walkers or kinkuna section would be more comparable to moreton than a van park in the middle of town? Can't draw a single comparison between the two.
FollowupID: 805854

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:39

Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:39
I'll run down and have a look this afternoon, we drove right through about a month ago and it has all been freshly graded right though.
FollowupID: 805857

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 19:14

Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 19:14
gbc Don't know what track you mean cause the track which says "4WD ONLY" is still open which goes along the power line for a couple of hundred meters and then turns left down to the river. The track up near the boat ramp at Walkers Point has been closed for several years.

Woodgate Beach was quiet this afternoon with just half a dozen groups on the main beach, no one using the gas BBQ's and plenty of space in the Caravan Park.

There were only 3 other 4WD's on the beach and the NP Burrum Point campground looked empty. The track into Burrum Point Camp was deep sand and badly rutted but passable
FollowupID: 805884

Follow Up By: gbc - Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 21:18

Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 21:18
It's been more than several years since I was there last, so I'd think the boat ramp track is the one we are both talking about. Took the family for a quick day trip and lunch at the pub on new years eve for the first time in 20 years. We were a bit more regular visitors prior to that.
FollowupID: 805898

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 23:32

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 23:32
We were there last august for about 2 weeks.
Great park ...loved its quietness and ambience. Second time there as well.
As we were packing up to leave ...found out that the owners (who apperently have a park or two elsewhere as well...and dont live locally) were about to jack the prices up by about 30 %.
As this park was already on the higher side of average...we decided to forgo our option of going back there this year. I ..for one ..would like some more sealed roads and grass about ....plus some more amenities...with less dust stirred up by traffic if they are going to jack it up that much.
Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806291

Reply By: petza - Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 23:05

Saturday, Jan 11, 2014 at 23:05
Thanks everyone for u'r comments, is the second week of feb we are going so hope it is still quiet .
Peter
AnswerID: 524313

Reply By: deserter - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 15:43

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 15:43
Fishing is very ordinary if you are land based.
AnswerID: 524719

Sponsored Links