Suspension upgrade update

Submitted: Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 19:34
ThreadID: 10577 Views:1702 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Well guys got the shocks and springs fitted and now have a lift about 75mm front and rear. I have been told this will settle a bit - don't know how far. My question is - may this amount of lift cause damage to tailshafts, diffs etc? I have been told that it may affect universals but nothing else. Some expert advice would really be appreciated. The car is a 2003 GU patrol 3.0 litre diesel now fitted with Koni long travel shocks and King Springs - rated at 250kg I believe.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D-Jack - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:17

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:17
Yes, I would give your tailshafts about 24-36 months, the diffs will definitely feel the extra lift and will need replacing probably in 12-24 months, and universal joints will need replacing monthly.

Only joking, in case you couldn't tell. But isn't it a bit late to be asking these questions after the lift has been completed??!!

Where are you planning on going that would require a 75mm lift? (I'm only jealous, I've got a Jackaroo and can only dream about a lift of that height!
AnswerID: 46943

Reply By: D-Jack - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:17

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:17
Yes, I would give your tailshafts about 24-36 months, the diffs will definitely feel the extra lift and will need replacing probably in 12-24 months, and universal joints will need replacing monthly.

Only joking, in case you couldn't tell. But isn't it a bit late to be asking these questions after the lift has been completed??!!

Where are you planning on going that would require a 75mm lift? (I'm only jealous, I've got a Jackaroo and can only dream about a lift of that height!
AnswerID: 46944

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:20

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 20:20
If you have a bullbar the front will settle quite a bit...... My front settled about 40mm so i put a 35mm spacer each side at the front and then it still settled another 10 or so mm....
When i locked the front hubs in on my last patrol which had a 4" lift, the vibration was so bad after about 60kmh it felt and sounded like a tire had gone flat on the front....
I did about 9000kms with that problem in 4wd and it never failed.....but i am not sure if it was ready to fail though..... I always carried a spare set of uni's after i felt the vibes...
If you lock in your hubs and go for a blast down the bitumen and feel it.... If it doesnt seem any different you should be safe....
If you feel the rumble start then you could be in for some uni hassles......
75mm isnt much though, but i thought that about my 100mm previous gq...___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: shortgq - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 21:36

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 21:36
I had a GU 2.8 TD that i lifted with king springs but different shox, the lift is probably around 50mm once you allow for the fact that the factory ones probably had settled about 25mm. i never had a problem whatsoever in the 5 yrs I had it, the 4wd shop that did the lift assured me that 50mm lift was not enough to cause any problems with tailshafts or brakes lines etc. I have used this shop for years and they have not led me astray so far. I have just lifted a GQ with the same springs also and don't anticipate any problems. Ihave found the King Springs tobe good and not much more than about 5mm settling. I think they will warrant the spring if it goes too much.

Others may be more experienced with the warranty.

rgds
AnswerID: 46961

Reply By: Member - Rosco - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 21:53

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 21:53
Speaking of warranties, I wonder what Nissan would have to say in the event of a problem occurring.

My guess is they'd show you the door.Fidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 46964

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 22:33

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 22:33
My guess is that they will even hold it open for you as you pass thru the door alsoLife ISN'T like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your bum tomorrow."
FollowupID: 308949

Follow Up By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:19

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:19
Nah. They'd probably let it smack you on the arse on the way out to prove the point.
FollowupID: 308999

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 22:39

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 22:39
Mate,
I've had Lovells 4" front & 5" rear on my 2000 4.2T/D since August 2002 with no ill effects. I'm still running the original Koni Long Travel which I had put on almost from new with 2" OME springs. The Lovells were installed by respected bloke, Glen Binskin at Wauchope NSW and he advised that it didn't need brake hose extensions or camber correction. I've since removed both sway bars and it goes okay, but with a little more body roll around round abouts as you'd expect. The lift isn't quite as pronounced as you might think, because of about 700kg of extra gear (steel bullbar and winch at front, full length steel ARB roof rack, Opp Lock rear H/Duty steel bar and dual wheel carrier, long range tank, cargo drawer with a lot of recovery gear etc. It is still noticeably higher than others around with a 3" lift. I also kept my Polyairs too and run them at about 20 psi most of the time.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 46971

Reply By: Member Eric - Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 22:45

Monday, Feb 16, 2004 at 22:45
If you didnt order your springs for a 3 " lift , i will be very suprised if it went up 75 mm , you may had ordered the extra heavy duty springs that suit winch bar and winch . If you dont have these items , then it will go up that extra 25 mm . They allow 10mm to settle on the king springs , if they went down more than that , I would be ringing them . Dont forget that empty tanks to full tanks will make a diffrence also.

Now to your first question , It is not a problem for your GU to sit at that hight , you will find your castor camber out , if you dont fit a kit . If you want to correct the angles on your tail shaft , you can always drop the transfer case a little Venus Bay
AnswerID: 46974

Sponsored Links