Finding Features in NSW National Parks

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 12:32
ThreadID: 105783 Views:1679 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I have spent a fair amount of time in recent days looking for the main attractions in some NSW National Parks and have not been able to find any information on coordinates for the said features. Am I missing something? A quick look suggests that the same problem might be with Queensland National Parks as well. If they are missing, it seems a strange omission given that the detail provided for so many is that a 4x4 is required for access. I hope I am missing something. It would be great to go to the NP web site and get lat. and long. for the position of a feature that I want to visit.
Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Charlie - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 12:51

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 12:51
Your best option would be to visit the Boiling Billly website where you can download the waypoints from heir books for free, the books are good too. Most of the parks do have a flyer if you contact the nearest office they have always been happy to post one out.
AnswerID: 524350

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 13:41

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 13:41
Thanks Charlie. I'll take that on board.
Cheers, Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 805956

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 13:08

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 13:08
Hi Kevin,

Did you notice the small print across the bottom of the Google map that comes up for each national park :"These maps give a basic overview of park attractions and facilities, and may not be detailed enough for some activities. We recommend that you buy a topographic map before you go exploring."

A bit of a cop-out or protecting NPWS rear ends?

Problem can easily be solved though by using Google Earth, the map of your choice on OziExplorer, or using David's mapping via "Places" on this site.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 524351

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 13:56

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 13:56
Hi Val. I'll let NP people look after their own rear ends. I'm sure they have plenty of practice. I just think it is a bit strange that I can find a list of parks by clicking an A to Z list, click the park, see a list of features that I can select from, click to see details and even click on a list that tells me I should wear sunscreen. I can click to open a map and scroll the map to find other places, so why, in 2014, can't I have a small panel that gives me the coordinates of where my cursor is pointing as I can in Google Earth and Hema on line maps.

I am a firm believer in topo maps in paper and on a navigational device. I have EO Topo on my Nexus 7, I use Google World and I am a dedicated user of and contributer to EO places. But there are many places that are not yet in EO or Google Earth. Many of those places are on NP web sites. So why can't I have coordinates so I can have way points on my navigation device? I think will write to to NSW NP and ask them.

And I hope they respond quicker than they have to my application for a Pensioner NP pass.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 805957

Reply By: Kerry W (WA) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 13:27

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 13:27
Hi Kevin Have you searched Exploroz "Places". Most of Australias points of interest are in there (with gps coords photos links to trek notes etc etc) it also ties in with the EOTopo 200 maps. You can even update places with your own data and photos.
Cheers KW
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 524352

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 13:59

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 13:59
Kerry, if you read your latest EO newsletter you will see that you are preaching to the converted. I use places all the time, plus Wikicamps, Campin' Australia, Release 4 of Camps Australia plus the others that I mentioned to Val. Thanks for your input.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 805958

Reply By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 16:03

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 16:03
Hi Kevin, did you know that if you are a holder of a pension concession card you can apply to NSW N/Ps for a concession for free entry to most N/Ps in NSW, which will save you $7 a day.
AnswerID: 524365

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 16:10

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 16:10
Yes I did, Bruce. That's the one that is taking so long. About 2 months and counting.
Cheers, Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 805968

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:21

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:21
Hi Bruce and Kevin,
Slightly OT I know but;

I think that is where the problem may lay Kevin, you have a Queensland Pension, Yep I know it is a federal pension, but check your card, mine clearly states New South Wales on one side and on the other "Australian Government."

I am not sure you are entitled to a NSW Parks Pass living in Qld. just as I believe we are in NSW not entitled to a QLD one or any other state for that matter.

Stupid I know as we should be entitled to a whole of Australia parks Pass. But that is bureaucracy for you.

It should be that you get a pass from your home state and that has effect in every state.
But that would save on administration costs and we can't have that.
Saving public money ?, what a ridiculous thought.

If I am incorrect in this belief please let me know as we never know which state we are likely to end up in when on holidays sometimes.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806041

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 13:43

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 13:43
Interesting point Bruce. The NPWS website doesn't specifically mention NSW concession card holders, so by implication application is open to folk from other states.

A few years ago there was a move to have concession cards acceptable in all states/territories - I wonder what happened to that idea?

Hopefully Kevin's application has just got caught up in a holiday backlog.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 806051

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:14

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:14
Hi Val,
As I was telling Kev in an MM there are many other concessions that NSW Concession Card holders get such as discounted rail travel, 4 free rail journeys per year to anywhere in NSW from anywhere in NSW and free registration, on per card holder so I would think that this particular concession may only be NSW related.

It is a pity because all you should have to do as an aged pensioner is show your pension card and that should be good enough for any State Govt. Department throughout the country.

You are right, there is nothing specific on the website indicating it is available to NSW residents only.

I have advised Kevin that I have emailed the NSW NPWS re this and I am awaiting a reply to clarify it.

We'll see what happens. I will keep you informed.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806055

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:43

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:43
Well, at least I now know that I didn't miss a NSW only warning on the web site. Since this morning I have a confirmation of a Queensland resident who has has a pass issued from NSW NPs.

I am standing by for a reply to Bruce C from them but will follow them up myself. Perhaps sending the application by "snail mail" was my mistake.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806058

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 15:15

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 15:15
Kevin, that is good to know that someone has received a pass from outside NSW.

That suggestion re snail mail may be your answer.

I was astonished that it was only 3 days from sending the application via email and getting the new pass in the snail mail.

Mind you it was just pre Xmas and it was also a renewal. These two significant points may be the reason for a speedy return also.

Although your application is getting on toward 3 months so there is plenty of time in there fore it to be returned many times over.

Interestingly, we tried to apply for a pass for the wife also and we got no response from them on that score. There may be times when the boss is traveling without me in the car and she is entitled also so it has me baffled.

Try sending via the method I described Kevin. See how you go.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806062

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 17:44

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 17:44
Hi Kevin, Bruce and Val,

He is the definitive answer from the NSW NPWS team.

Dear Bruce,

You can apply for a NSW National Parks Exemption Card with any Pension Concession Card from another state.

unfortunately this will only cover you for NSW National Parks, you may have to contact each state to find out other wise as its varies with park entrance fees.

Kind regards

Brittany P.

Customer Experience Team, National Parks Contact Centre

NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806075

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:32

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:32
Thanks everyone. This thread went off in a very useful direction. I can now imagine NSW National Parks being inundated with pass applications from pensioners from all over the country.
Cheers, Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 524475

Sponsored Links