What have you found lost and returned ?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 14:14
ThreadID: 105787 Views:3002 Replies:20 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
The other day we decided to do a 600km fact finding day drive from Melbourne via a big hill called MT Skene which some like to close over winter now because of the possibility of snow.

While investigating alternate paths near the 5000 ft line we stopped for a few seconds to get better quality video footage and my wife picked up a glasses case at 12:38:16.

It contained prescription glasses and a card from an optometrist and a couple of personal things in it.

She decided to make it a mission to return them.

A hard to read appointment name was on the card , so she made a few calls and got to the optometrist who worked out who it could be. She left her number and the Optometrist called the owner and gave our details.

After several missed calls they contacted us and what a coincidence.

We had found the stuff 250km from home probably within hours of them losing it.

Can you see it in the video frame ?

The owners could have just as easily have come from a foreign land like NSW but they lived only 15km from us.

An hour later they showed up and were so grateful and gave my wife a nice box of chocolates.

It is definitely starting off as a happy near year and I hope it gets better and better for all of us as the Christmas spirit is still alive.

Footnote - If you find the glasses case in the video frame don't expect any of the chocolates cause I'm keeping them all.
Robin

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 14:21

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 14:21
Nice one Robin, I spotted the case just to the left of the antenna and I don't share chocolates either. I wouldn't want to contribute to some-ones addiction.
Cheers
Des
AnswerID: 524355

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 18:42

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 18:42
Correct and you are just so thoughtful Des.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 805990

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 19:16

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 19:16
Thanks Robin.
My wife tried to get me to give up chocolate but I'm no quitter.
FollowupID: 805999

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 14:21

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 14:21
Just above the bonnet to the left of the aerial.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524357

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 20:36

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 20:36
Wish I was sharing as you deserve a chocky
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806007

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 15:06

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 15:06
Swings and roundabouts. I gave someone (obviously with less scruples than your better half) an early Xmas present Robin. Left my moderately expensive torch on a bedpost at Currango. Rang the ranger when we got back from our trip a couple of days later but it had been souvenired. Nice torch, hope the lucky light-fingered Louis appreciates his/her "find".
AnswerID: 524361

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:31

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:31
Hmmm

I picked up a dolphin torch in a Simpson bog once on dusk and it was still shining - hopes thats nowhere near Currango !..
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806012

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:37

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:37
Not unless the Simpson has migrated to the Snowy Mountains Robin.
FollowupID: 806036

Reply By: Axle - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 15:48

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 15:48
Hi Robin,...A few animals over the years, ..mainly dogs that had come off the back of utes,all were tagged so it was a good ending each time....a inebriated mate was lost in a carpark one time,returned him to his darling wife who was waiting club in hand ..lol.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 524362

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:33

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:33
Your a good chap Axle - I hope your friend was so under that he didn't feel the blows.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806014

Reply By: Road Warrior - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 18:14

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 18:14
Spotto! Although others have as well.

I was backpacking through Canada in 2005 and was in Montreal, went for a walk and found someone's Blackberry mobile phone on the ground, one of the fancy ones with 50 billion buttons on it that did everything bar make you cups of coffee. I thought to myself "oops, someone is going to miss this one."

Picked it up and scrolled through the contacts list that was in it (wasnt password protected or anything) and found a number called 'Home' so gave it a rang and a lady answers, I explained that I was in Montreal, had found this Blackberry phone on the ground and it had this number in it listed as 'home', took a few attempts to get the message across and then she twigged and groaned "my husband is in Montreal for a conference and must of dropped it". I could almost hear her rolling her eyes. He must have done this sort of thing often. Turned out 'home' was in Cleveland and he was a doctor in town for some medical conference.

So I gave her my mob. number, she said she'd ring the hotel hubby was staying at and leave a message to call her, and she'd give him my number so he could ring me from the hotel. An few hours later I got a frantic call from this guy who couldnt beleive his luck that a) someone had found his phone and b) was honest enough to give it back. So we arranged to meet at a pub nearby where he could reclaim his phone and buy me a pint or two as thanks :D

A couple of hours, a couple of pints and a few travelling stories later he had his phone and had buggered off and I was on the way to being well tanked and feeling pretty good about doing a good deed.
AnswerID: 524383

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:37

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:37
Nice story Warrior - and it is good when things turn out well , espically at this time of year - and just think we have gone from a billion buttons back to none (well no real ones).
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806015

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 19:04

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 19:04
Driving on the outskirts of town I saw what looked like a wallet with lots of paper pieces spread over a 10m dia. Stopped and picked up ALL the paper and wallet.
Hundreds of money inside, quotes for new kitchen, credit cards,Police driving licence, Police ID card, Police credit union card etc etc.

Contacted the Traffic group and they rang him, "day off", and asked for a lend of $50, then he realized, no wallet.

He DID appreciate getting all his money and his official cards returned.
AnswerID: 524394

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 07:17

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 07:17
The cards are so much hassle aren't they Ross, still the cash back must have surprized him.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806024

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 19:52

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 19:52
Several years ago I was attending a Rugby final with some friends in Canberra. It was a cold night, and as we walked in to the ground I noticed a very smart looking distinctive leather glove on the ground. I picked it up, and not seeing anyone obviously looking for it, I placed it on a hand rail.

Some time later, close to our position watching the game, a chap arrived being pushed in a wheel chair. He had a blanket over his knees, and his right hand was resting on the blanket. I could scarcely believe it when he was wearing a glove matching the one I had picked up. Excitedly, I said, "Hey mate, lost a glove?" As I was saying it I noticed that his left arm had been amputated, and the empty shirt sleeve was pinned up.

I'll never forget the withering look he gave me. To make matters worse, my mates were so disgusted they didn't want me near them. I tried to explain that I wasn't making a joke at the expense of a disabled amputee.

For all I know, he might have lost both his legs too (under that tartan blanket). Talk about a good deed backfiring! Anyway, I've never gone back to Bruce Stadium, or been to a rugby game since. I don't think I've missed much.

Bob
AnswerID: 524399

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 07:23

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 07:23
At least you knew you were innocent Bob - I played a game up at Millers Hut which some volunteers were fixing up and I went around and shook everyones hand for fixing up my hut - really had them going - felt bad later !

Robin Miller

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806025

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:00

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:00
.. could just as easily have come from a FOREIGN land like NSW..... LOL. And I thought we were all part of the Commonwealth of Australia. And notice in my reply no references so far to being south of the border or in my case north - Si....... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 524403

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 07:25

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 07:25
Thanks for your concideration Warrie -I was going to say W.A. but I'm going there in a few weeks and they might have given me a hard time in immigration.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806026

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:20

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 21:20
Hi Robin. Many years ago (around 20) my wife found a Ladies' handbag that the owner had left on the roof of her car. It had around $1500 plus all the other stuff you need and carry. After a bit of detective work we managed to ring the lady who was eternally greatful for it's return.
Forward to 5 years ago and my wife left her handbag in a shopping trolley after loading the groceries in the car. I arrived home to a frantic wife and after an hour or more returning to the place of lostment,enquiring at the shopping centre management, driving to the police station and all the crap that goes with reporting such a loss, I was at home talking to the bank on the phone to cancel credit cards when our doorbell rang.
Another lady had found it and as she only lived a couple of K's away decided to deliver it personally, only this was the second time as the first was when we were out searching for the bloody thing. I look back now and smile at the "karma" but at the time it was really "testing".
Were still married after 48 years so I must be a bloody good husband.lol
Cheers, Bob.
AnswerID: 524404

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:39

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:39
You know Bob , the perceived hassle of reporting things would put me off more than thought of any potemtial gain - but mind you $1500 would sure put me to the test !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806057

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:49

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:49
That happened to a woman I was sharing a flat with. She moved into her own place and was on the way to make a mortgage payment and left her purse on the car roof.
She hadn't got around to changing her address on the licence and stuff so when someone found the bulging purse on a busy roundabout in Kirwin (Townsville) they nicely brought it around to the address on the licence.

I was washing the car in the driveway and they arrived, asked me if I knew Fiona, handed me the purse and left. I must look honest.

Needless to say, Fi was stoked not to have lost 1 months house repayment, but the finder didn't leave a name or accept any offered reward, they just drove off into the sunset.
FollowupID: 806500

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 22:39

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 22:39
great timing of this thread Robin, as i'm about to put another thread up here relating to this one. never found something myself, but have had a mobile phone returned to me, and the wife had her purse and sunglasses returned to her that we'd both left them on the rooves of our vehicles at seperate times and driven off forgeting about them.
AnswerID: 524412

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:51

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:51
Hi Rum
Yes I noticed your thread around , doesn't look like anyone has come up with any answers yet.

I love these car recorder cameras - like you I have left things on the roof - but also noticed them (cup of coffee) flying ahead into the field of view on replay , when I braked !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806060

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 00:24

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 00:24
Years ago we were heading towards Exmouth when we saw a few planks of deal alongside the road so my scavenger husband stopped and we picked them up. A bit further along there was more, as we realised it was a broken folding camping table. It looked fixable and we needed a table.

Very soon after this we turned off to take the scenic Charles Knife road. On our return down the track, I wanted to stop at a vantage point where there was a pull off to take a photo. There was a Troopy parked in the bay, so we stopped on our side of the track. My husband went across towards them and the lady came to my side with her camera. They looked at their roof rack. He said “We’ve lost our table” “No you haven’t” my husband replied “Yes we have, it was on the roof rack. We’ve had it for years” “You haven’t lost it.”

Simultaneously the lady and I had a similar conversation. “We’ve lost our table” she said “No you haven’t” I replied “Yes we have, it was on the roof rack. It was my mother’s table. We’ve taken it camping for years” “You haven’t lost it.”

Each of them must have thought we were nutty until we opened the back of our Cruiser and returned the broken table, much to their relief and delight. They had come onto the bitumen road from the rough station tracks, and were only on it for a few kilometres and that was where the table had come off. They had at first taken the Shothole Canyon drive further north, and were heading back to go bush again. The chance of us finding the table then meeting the owners on that scenic drive must be pretty long odds.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 524414

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:44

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:44
Thanks Motherhen - In reading some of these replies its the unlikelyhood of the return that I find surprizing - mind you no one return my camera I lost last year , and you can be sure it had pics of my car with its number plate in it !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806059

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:58

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 14:58
My camera is my most valuable possession when travelling - or rather the photos on it are. It once slipped from my shoulder without me realising while climbing down a rocky patch on the Wilpena Pound Ohlssen Bagge walk trail. A tour coach load of international tourist was climbing up as we were climbing down. My husband looked up at the bright colours of their clothing marking the trail up the mount and suggested I take a photo, hence I discovered the loss. As I bounded back up looking for it, I heard a Japanese tourists from much higher up the trail calling "Camera, camera" and waving it. Since then it goes around my neck, not just on one shoulder.

Showing the coincidence, although returned to us rather than by us, was our soap. When touring Europe in a campervan with my family as a teenager, my sister or I left our soap container in a caravan park bathroom in Norway. It was the last day parks were open as it was late in the season. Other campers there were a girl around our age from New Zealand travelling with two Aunts.

Some months later, at a large caravan park in Rome, the same girl recognised us and called out "I've got your soap". While we had toured a number of countries, our soap was taken on a very different route to countries behind the Iron Curtain, and coincidentally turned up in the same caravan park on the same day.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806061

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 09:19

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 09:19
Robin,

Like MH I found a camp table, but this was at a bad boggy section, in Diamantina Lakes. Lot of other stuff there too, so it was obvious that someone had spat the dummy when they got bogged. Still got the table, and it's been to Cooinda, Lake Eyre & Ayers Rock since.

Back in 2012, was walking along the truck bypass in Winton, when I found a small, red iPod. Probably an earlier model of the ones that are the size of a postage stamp now. Took it home, charged it up and checked out the "toons". Was even a short video of the owner, bloke, dark hair and glasses. Anyway, took it up to the police station, and heard no more about it, so hope Ol' Mate with the glasses ended up getting it back.

Enjoy the chockies Robin, you, and your wife earned 'em.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524428

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 18:37

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 18:37
Yeah , you hope it gets back to the owner - but I suspectfor many things its just to much trouble Bob
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806082

Reply By: allein m - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:45

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:45
we have found some weird things here in broken hill and a few lost pets but the best one was a pair of expensive roller skates

So we contacted local radio station and sure enough a young girl left them by mistake at the shopping center she was on her way home from the skate ring.

well after a phone call to find out where we live a car pulls up with a young girl and her mum she had bought my wife a bunch of flowers for finding the skates

mum was so happy we had found them too.
AnswerID: 524435

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:34

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:34
Thats a different approach Allein - I guess the percentage of people hearing something on a radio station would be much higher there than in a big city.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806096

Follow Up By: allein m - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 13:50

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 13:50
we even have a facebook page lostr and found we found pub in our front yard and we posted a pic and 3 hours later some one said it was there dog that was last week

but Broken Hill is nice remote small town so that sort of thing works well
FollowupID: 806132

Reply By: Kerry W (WA) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:30

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:30
Back in 2001, we were driving along a dirt track, heading south of the old Qld ghost town of Cracow. Our eagle eyed 8 yo son spotted a $50 note lying in the grass beside the road as we whizzed by. How he spotted it could only be attributed to the fact that he, even at that age, had an avid appreciation of what one can achieve with a few dollars in ones kick. We stopped so he could run back and pick it up. He arrived back with $250. This prompted some interest from the other kids in the car (not to mention the adults). Eventually $400 was combed out of the grass along the roadside.
The kids realised that somebody would be missing this amount of money so didn't seem too attached to it.

Later on we turned around and headed back to Cracow. The only vehicle we came across was a lone biker heading towards us. I flagged him down, and not wishing to donate $400 to somebody who was quick witted but not he rightful owner of the money, I simply said to him him..."tell us your story".

Sure enough $400 had been "hoovered" out of his pocket as he rode along the track at speed. It was all the cash he had for the next few days and he needed to travel back to Brisbane - he wasn't carrying a credit card.

He was so relieved to have his money back and amazed that anybody even found it out there let alone would return it to him.

Everybody was happy to see the money where it rightfully belonged...
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524436

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:36

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:36
Good thinking Kerry - at least you know it was probably his.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806097

Reply By: Sleepy John - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 20:48

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 20:48
I found a latest model iphone dropped into a drain at a property I manage. Any thoughts of souveniring it quickly faded when I looked at the recently called list to get a clue about the owner. A certain Mr Gatto featured regularly! I quickly checked the messages and saw about 50 starting with "if you have found my phone please call ### ####..."
A quick wipe down with a microfiber cloth then straight into a zippy bag!

The gentleman drove up from the Gold Coast had his phone back within the hour!

SJ
AnswerID: 524468

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:38

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:38
I wonder what type of reward he may have been able to deliver SJ.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806098

Follow Up By: Sleepy John - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:51

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:51
He offered me an invite to his Christmas Party which he said was the best on the Gold Coast!

My wife declined on my behalf!
Pity; it would have been an education for this boy from the bush.

SJ
FollowupID: 806102

Follow Up By: Sleepy John - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:56

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 21:56
On another note, I left my map book and reading glasses on the table outside the Jundah General Store last week. Store keeper has promised to post them back to me.

FollowupID: 806105

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 22:44

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 22:44
Lovely stories of honest human beings.
Our touches of decency make the world that little bit better.
I've returned the $5 that a pensioner dropped from his back pocket (it may have been his only $5 for all I knew) and I've returned a purse to a mum of 4 (according to her Medicare card) that she had left in the toilets at shopping centre in northern NSW. I tried having her paged over the PA but she'd already left for home (Brisbane). I tracked her down in the phone book from the information on her license and told her it was with the shop's security (which was a closer drive for her than coming another 30km to my place). That single $50 would've been vital to a mum of 4!!
It's one of those little things that we're taught as kids about treating others the way we would like to be treated, really...
Unfortunately some either miss that life lesson or forget it.

AnswerID: 524480

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 08:43

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 08:43
Staying at a caravan park in Karumba my hubby went off with our nice new stainless steel billy to fill it with water, got caught short on the way back to the tent so left the billy on a table outside the loo. On his return a couple of minutes later the billy had disappeared. I hope the low life who thieved it reads this and squirms.
AnswerID: 524494

Reply By: Jarse - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 13:06

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 13:06
A few years ago I was travelling home on my bike beween Cann River and Bombala (by motorcycle).

The weather had been absolutely foul, bringing a tree down in a remote part. One car had tried to go around the tree but got bogged. By the time I got there, there were about 10 cars on either side, the occupants of which didn't seem too smart at getting the stranded traveller out.

I rode around the bogged car and thought about continuing on to Bombala as there were plenty of hands there. But instead I stopped and assisted the others to get this family unstuck in the pouring rain.

Somewhere between parking the bike and setting off afterwards I left my spare set of keys on the tank bag. When I rode off to Bombala to let the police know of the downed tree, the keys fell off onto the road. After I'd done my thing at Bombala I realised my keys were missing. I thought that was the end of it.

About a month later I got a call out of the blue from this bloke from Bairnsdale. He worked on a road gang and found the keys in the middle of nowhere. He posted them up at his own cost and didn't want anything in return. The spare bike key alone was worth $150+ not to mention the other keys.

I sent him a very appropriate reward for his troubles. There are still honest people around.
AnswerID: 524506

Reply By: Member - thekettles - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 22:20

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 22:20
I have returned several items over the years, wallets and dogs included.
The one i remember most was a wallet i spotted on the side of the road driving up the hill from Yallingup.
It had some cards and $20 note and drivers licence.
He lived in Bunbury where i am so i dropped it off to him that evening when i got back.
The memorable part is he was only a young bloke and so happy to have it back that he offered me the $20, which of course i declined. He appeared like he couldn't really afford to be giving money away anyway.
Neil.
AnswerID: 524633

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 11:15

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 11:15
Back in 2011 we did an overnight camp stop in the Cordillo Downs area, when setting up camp the following night in the Simpson my son realised he left his tent poles on the ground at the previous campsite. Lucky for him I carry a spare emergency tent that he could use for the rest of the trip.
12 months later we were heading through the same area so went back to the campsite and sure enough there they were lying where he left them.
AnswerID: 524660

Sponsored Links